GPS units

ironworker

What make and model GPS units are being used ? what is really needed. I want to get back to my truck same way I came. I want the GPS thing to get me to various valleys and rivers,mountains.

You don't need much for just getting back and forth from a few places, just get one with a TracBack feature. You can also mark spots or "waypoints" with just about any GPS, but some units will allow you to store more info than others. A $100 Garmin Etrex would do you just fine. I have an Etrex Legend that I trust everyday I'm in the big north woods. I do carry a compass too though and take a reading, just in case.

My next one is gonna be a Dakota. They're about $250-$350. They have a touchscreen, color basemaps, a ton of other features and a built in compass that getting a heading even if you're not moving.

I have an older Garman GPS III thats still perfect to this day for all my uses.
You can also hit up local pawnshops for GPS's for a lot less than retail & nothing like making a lowball offer an an item.
Got mine for $40.
I also carry my compass when out.

Any recent used GPS will take care of that easily. I have a Garmin HCX Etrex Vista Color and its a great unit and very accurate. With the addition of the Wyoming Public lands program I know if its public or private a valuable piece of information here.

I'm needing a new one too.
I've been carrying the one that came with my Garmin Astro dog tracking collar and it works pretty good.

Originally Posted By: fw707I'm needing a new one too.
I've been carrying the one that came with my Garmin Astro dog tracking collar and it works pretty good.

That is one of the better units out there...it's basically a 60cs with the dog tracking added. That's the only gps I use myself now
thumbup1.gif

Quote:I have an older Garman GPS III thats still perfect to this day for all my uses.

I'm still using that one (GPS III+). If you can find one cheap, grab it. It will do everything you need.

I bought myself and my dad one over 10 years ago and they're both still running perfect, never had a single problem.

You can set it up to leave a "crumb trail" and just follow that back out without having to set waypoints.

Or get a newer model, but I'd make it a Garmin.

Quote:I also carry my compass when out.

Yeah, it's a good idea to have a compass and know the rough heading back to the truck.

Last edited:
Years ago, I bought a hand held Garmin E-Trex due to the fact that the previous year when we went to a ranch in Colorado to shoot Prairie Dogs and got so far back in the hills that it took us about 2 1/2 hours to follow the fence lines (around ravines and outcroppings) to get back to the main gate to get on the road...
blush.gif

As long as you remember to mark various waypoints, they work great...At least they will keep you headed in the right direction and you will know where your truck is located... The only downside is if you are in a heavily wooded area, you may lose connection with the satellites...

Originally Posted By: TURBO6046
That is one of the better units out there...it's basically a 60cs with the dog tracking added. That's the only gps I use myself now
thumbup1.gif

Thanks Turbo! I'll look at the 60cs. Heck, I might just keep using the Astro one.

I've carried a Garmin Etrex (the blue one) for several years and it works fine. I was looking for something with better map stuff and a larger screen.

I have had a Garmin GPSMAP76CSx for a few years now. For everyday use, this unit is great. Last fall I bought a Garmin Oregon 400t. I used this unit while on vacation (always on my ATV) and for the most part, it is always plugged in and turned on in my pickup. The touch screen is really nice and very easy to use while traveling on the ATV.

While I am driving down the road, if I happen to drive by a place that looks like it could be a good calling spot, I will mark a waypoint and then begin the homework of finding out who owns the land. During the winter months, I always mark a waypoint at each stand I make. I use the heck out of my GPS and am more confident in it than a compass.

The Garmin mapping handheld GPS units (those with a memory card slot) have about the same operating system in them. The main difference between them is whether you want the buttons on top, below, or around the screen. The internal GPS functions are pretty much the same. The GPS I prefer for use in the field and probably the best bang for the buck is the e-trex VISTA HCx for $207.90 w/free shipping from http://www.pcnation.com/web/details.asp?item=6G0670. You can also get a 2GB micro SD card for them for $6.99 w/free shipping from http://www.meritline.com/newsearch.aspx?SearchTerm=2gb+micro+sd. Then install Garmin compatible topo mapping software in it for any state for free from www.gpsfiledepot.com.

If you get a Garmin NUVI, several models can also be programmed to operate for both on road and off road use. The City Streets Navigator program is always displayed as the top map layer. It can be selected either on/off so topo mapping software can be displayed under it for back country navigation. The free topo mapping software from www.gpsfiledepot.com will work in the touch screen NUVI's.

Many people do not know they can install multiple mapping programs at the same time in their GPS units and toggle which map layers to use. Garmin does not put that info in their user manuals. I guess they want you to buy multiple GPS units. Here is a web link that describes how to select which map layers to display (the stuff that is not in your Garmin user manuals) http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-change-which-map-is-displayed-on-a-garmin-gps

I hope this info helps. Good hunting!

Originally Posted By: FursniperThe Garmin mapping handheld GPS units (those with a memory card slot) have about the same operating system in them. The main difference between them is whether you want the buttons on top, below, or around the screen. The internal GPS functions are pretty much the same. The GPS I prefer for use in the field and probably the best bang for the buck is the e-trex VISTA HCx for $207.90 w/free shipping from http://www.pcnation.com/web/details.asp?item=6G0670. You can also get a 2GB micro SD card for them for $6.99 w/free shipping from http://www.meritline.com/newsearch.aspx?SearchTerm=2gb+micro+sd. Then install Garmin compatible topo mapping software in it for any state for free from www.gpsfiledepot.com.

If you get a Garmin NUVI, several models can also be programmed to operate for both on road and off road use. The City Streets Navigator program is always displayed as the top map layer. It can be selected either on/off so topo mapping software can be displayed under it for back country navigation. The free topo mapping software from www.gpsfiledepot.com will work in the touch screen NUVI's.

Many people do not know they can install multiple mapping programs at the same time in their GPS units and toggle which map layers to use. Garmin does not put that info in their user manuals. I guess they want you to buy multiple GPS units. Here is a web link that describes how to select which map layers to display (the stuff that is not in your Garmin user manuals) http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-change-which-map-is-displayed-on-a-garmin-gps

Fursniper this is a great post as for someone that is gadget challenged I have figured out how to change the different layers of maps that have been put on my GPS and now it is starting to make some since to me. Especially your last paragraph on map layering.---
THANKS

Originally Posted By: FursniperThe Garmin mapping handheld GPS units (those with a memory card slot) have about the same operating system in them. The main difference between them is whether you want the buttons on top, below, or around the screen. The internal GPS functions are pretty much the same. The GPS I prefer for use in the field and probably the best bang for the buck is the e-trex VISTA HCx for $207.90 w/free shipping from http://www.pcnation.com/web/details.asp?item=6G0670. You can also get a 2GB micro SD card for them for $6.99 w/free shipping from http://www.meritline.com/newsearch.aspx?SearchTerm=2gb+micro+sd. Then install Garmin compatible topo mapping software in it for any state for free from www.gpsfiledepot.com.

Thanks for that link FurSniper!

I've got a Garmin Oregon 400t......first GPS I've ever used, and I feel spoiled. Love the Topo Maps, and seeing where the various land boundaries are. Awesome unit!

Love my Garmin 60CSx. Fantastic recepetion even in trees. The fanciest unit with lousy reception is useless. I have in dash units in my car. Street GPS units are not well suited to the outdoors and vice versa. Can get the 60CSx for a very reasonable price now.

Great info, but I need or want a little more. I would really like the cheapest GPS with a slow MPH feature. One that would measure at or below 0.5mph in 0.1mph increments. Also maybe with a compass that works while still.
I know I want a lot for very little, but I,m poor.
Thanks.

Shayne

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yotehunter57 Great info, but I need or want a little more. I would really like the cheapest GPS with a slow MPH feature. One that would measure at or below 0.5mph in 0.1mph increments. Also maybe with a compass that works while still. I know I want a lot for very little, but I,m poor.
Thanks. Shayne

Having a slow MPH feature requires that you get a GPS unit with submeter accuracy. The cost difference for that will make you walk faster even if you were rich. A stationary compass feature is the best way to go. The cheapest GPS unit with a stationary compass feature will likely be the unit I mentioned earlier, the Garmin e-trex VISTA HCx. Beware that using the stationary compass feature on any model will eat your batteries quicker. To help prevent this, change Garmin's default settings to activate the stationary compass when your speed is less that 3 mph for more than 5 seconds. Otherwise, keep the stationary compass feature turned off and manually turn it on when needed.

Back