Frenchy knives.........MORE NEW PICS

Yea,,,, all kidding aside, I've heard that the steel's really good.
Lord knows I've wasted allot more money on allot dumber purchaces, so I better be carefull about pointing fingers.

Birkenstock's are popular with the greenies. Course they have "leather" uppers and "rubber" soles so as usual, there's a healthy dose of hypocrisy there.
Being from Montana, I knew BigSky would get a chuckle. Montana's over run with transplanted greenies. All wearing the official footwear.
To bad for Birkenstocks, because they really are good sandals. LOL

I might pick up one of those Frenchy's someday, but right now I've got my eye on a new stag handled B&T.
Problem is, it's SS. Any experience with Queen's 420 Stainless?
RC's at 57 for what that's worth.

Originally Posted By: RePete
Birkenstock's are popular with the greenies. Course they have "leather" uppers and "rubber" soles so as usual, there's a healthy dose of hypocrisy there.Being from Montana, I knew BigSky would get a chuckle. Montana's over run with transplanted greenies. All wearing the official footwear.
To bad for Birkenstocks, because they really are good sandals.

Hypocrasy, You mean like when they show up to treehugger rallys in 3/4 ton trucks and talk about people going green, and then leave all their garbage on the ground when they leave

Lol
all this granola talk brings back the images of hairy tyedyed women and affemanite men, and the not so subtle aroma of body oder,hummus, and dreadlocks tinged with pot..............now i remember why i left Missoula -the hippie capital of the west
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RePeteI might pick up one of those Frenchy's someday, but right now I've got my eye on a new stag handled B&T.
Problem is, it's SS. Any experience with Queen's 420 Stainless?
RC's at 57 for what that's worth.

I was looking at their stuff recently too. The one I wanted, the 85ASB, isn't made in D2, it's 420. Probably same one your looking at
laugh.gif
. Never heard of them until Jim posted his, now its stuck in my head
crazy.gif

2MG, any plans to rescale the Frenchie?

I bought one of these knives years ago cause it was cheap and I am bad for losing knives.....but my opinel will not be lost.
It has cut up a ridiculous amoubt of game from moose to lynx.

one hunt I had a large Tom cougar down and was skinning only to drop the opinel in deep snow...could not find it and I spent a good deal of time looking for it was the only knife I had...ended up skinning the big cat with my axe.

when I get home and hang the wool pants up near the stove after a couple hours we hear somthing hit the floor it is the [beeep] knife it had dropped into the rolled up pant leg..I am not kidding.
The cheapest knife I ever owned I cannot lose. Still have it. That was a while ago now...

No plans right now Cory. A new handle out of some nicer wood could be cool, and not that hard to make, but I have some other blade blanks here I'd rather toy around with rather than Frenchy.......

Cool story. I must say I do like this knife. Especially the blade. Mine does not seem fragile at all and it locks up tight with no wobble.

With gloves on I imagine it would be a bit challenging to turn the bolster/lock, but other than that this thing seems a heck of a buy @ $12-13........

Charlie,

420 is not the greatest steel in the world, but it works. I gutted at least 24 deer with my Buck 420 I bought back in the 90s. It is soft steel. Only about 1/3 of the carbon content of 440C, I'd say. It takes an edge easily, but loses it just as easily. One thing it does not do easily, due to the low carbon, is rust.

Not many know it, but Queen made/used 440C long before America knew what it was. And long before any other American knife maker. Since the 1920s. They were the first to start using it, and perfect it for cutlery. They and Cyclops Steel wer in cahoots.

Queen has only been using 420 for about 10 yrs now. About as long as they have been using D2.

I truly do not know what 420 "HC" is. I'm wondering how much higher the carbon content is, if any?? 420 and HC is kind of an oxymoron, cuz it is one of the lowest carbon steels........

Charlie I just gave a sigh of relief when I saw you had ordered a Queen T&B. Mine is now safe.
For what its worth, the Queen T&B in the photo is a #74 and its D2 steel. It's no longer cataloged.

DSCF0236.jpg

New one. #10. Came out pretty cool. It was in rough shape. After I cleaned it up, I added some rust of my own........
cool.gif

Think I got this blade etching thing down. Not done with it yet, but here is a before/after:

B90625D5-F386-4D8A-B14C-1EA477A37969-357-000000304CDCC8D5.jpg

9546292D-B16F-4B77-A69B-8DCC596A7841-357-00000030579F10AB.jpg

3F082095-3BE5-44EB-8E69-927EA4039F6C-357-0000003401A8BFBE.jpg

DC11AC84-876A-4428-87D4-F61A16BD13A8-357-00000033F7336D39.jpg

I've got $20 invested in the pair:

04A3EE77-5E4D-4D0D-A3CB-CB4B3B0FFBC4-357-00000034C723F901.jpg

Thanks. The pics don't even do it justice, that blade turned out pretty cool. I kinda experimented with the acid wash application.

Here is the top of the blade. hard to see the pattern in the pics but it's there and looks pretty neat.....

AA2F32F8-D468-4B63-8642-15180D63D72B-357-000000340D0EC9DE.jpg

I have one more etching technique I want to try. And also a way of etching logos/letters and such I haven't tried in years. I put my initials on a knife once, and lost it in the woods up north.

May have to pick up a #6....

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunDon't forget your Birkenstocks.......grin

I may need an REI card, start driving a Subaru, etc..

I may just have to get one and let you continue to perfect your etching skills...grin...

i forgot i had one of these i bought it about 20 years ago just got done puting it on a stone and wow it pulled up a vary sharp edge this may be my new carry knife
thumbup1.gif

They sharpen up nice and very easily. I now have 4 of them. A #6, 2 #8s, and a #10. Hard to beat for the $42 I have invested....

Litttle surprised no one has brought up one of these:
photo-7.jpg

photo-8.jpg

Picked it up in France a couple years ago... in some town just outside Paris.
If I understand right, this knife is a Laguiole knife. I think I read somewhere that they were carried by the shepherds and farmers of France, and the symbol on the locking spring (correct term?) is that of a cow fly, common on the cattle farms or some symbol representing Napoleon, being they were being made around his time. Some were made with handle pins that were in the shape of a cross so that the shepherds could stab the knife in the ground and have a place to say their prayers... I don't know how much of that is true or just internet fiction... maybe somone on here knows a little more than I do.. any way, I think it may become my next carry knife, if I can get a good edge on it.

enjoy

Back