FLIR LS64 Vs FLIR PS-32

I tried making a connection cord for flir ps32 and couldn't get good contacts..can you show us your connector and explain the parts in detail. I've seen some people use different size jacks.. ill hook it up to my 7 inch lcd screen and compare it to a roof top thermal camera system I have. Its the same resolution as flir ps32 but 30hz.

When hunting from a blind and placing the flir on a pad or tripod or table mount with a monitor while its over looking at a field or bait pile will get you more coyotes..this is where fov comes into play. Warning!you will never want to be at home at night again..

Originally Posted By: Phantom223 I wish FLIR would release a connector that would allow video from the PS32/LS64 models since it seems the pins on bottom do work for video now.

I talked to them at the Shot Show about this lack of connectivity to the PS & LS series, they said it was a matter of compact design and including anything else would have forced reshaping the entire instrument.

Still, there could have easily designed a hot shoe to connect to the tripod mount outside the unit and allowed video output through the connectors already there.

I told them that would be a big sales plus if they designed that, they could even charge extra for a hot shoe video output as an accessory???

Seemed pretty common sense to me but no go....

Sound like something someone with some electrical ingenuity could set up and sell as an accessory easy enough.

Quote:Sound like something someone with some electrical ingenuity could set up and sell as an accessory easy enough.

Seems like FLIR could make a hot shoe very easy for the PS32/LS64 if they wanted to.I understand they sale another product line which offers video out but its alot larger unit and I personally love the smaller/compact size of the PS/LS units. Anyway looks like a openning for a aftermarket accessory for someone.

Ill post a pic when I get home. But its a small piece of pc board fiberglass with a few holes in it and some wire threaded thru the holes. The wire threaded thru the holes made on right & left side act as a contact as well as alignment guide using the recessed fins on the bottom of the flir units. I have 2 wires threaded thru holes I drilled one for right contact one for left contact plus hole in center to screw in the standard mounting screw. The wire looped thru holes makes humps that fit in recessed fins holding in place from rotating as well as making contact with terminals. Pic will show all this. Piece of scrap pc board, paperclip and small 1/8 inch jack for quick disconnect. I have it hooked to monitor sitting on kitchen counter pointed outside blk hot looks like normal bw camera during the day except its not daytime
laugh.gif
. Looking out the window its uber dark out. This would work good for boating at night as well.

Last edited:
Good work Hard Ware,

I need to get my hands on one of these for some measurements and we can make some of these cables and a proper hot shoe with my 3d printer.

Very simple casing with a spring loaded set of indexed contacts would work great.

I'm coming through Texas this weekend down I-30 to I-20 and across to Pecos, Tx. Anyone close to there with these? I can get some quick measurements and start the process.

Where there is a need, there is someone to fill it..
wink.gif

Something like this
flirhotshoe_zpsc2ab4db7.jpg

Aluminium with spring loaded gold plated contacts 1/8 mini jack, alignment fins to mesh with flir recesses, small square shaped hook to latch into square next to screw hole so it pivots in place then screw secures it. Should be strong enough to mount to elcan mount or a tripod adapter. Block of aluminium and mini mill. Well I don't have either
frown.gif
I can try and make mold of bottom and send it to you. As soon as I get the time.

Last edited:
i called one vendor and asked if the hotshoe above will screw and and work on ps32 and they said no...

there is no way to cut or fabricated that one to work on ps32?

Keep us posted..i am ready to buy one..

Look at the contacts they are in line with the screw hole. I would expect at least a charging hot shoe for the LS series, if they expect law enforcement to buy these. I have never seen any high use commercial type device that you have to plug in the device to charge. They have drop in type chargers designed for daily charging. Thats what the bottom of the ls/ps series look like they were designed to do.

Last edited:
I made my variation of the Flir shoe...

pretty easy once I thought about it. thanks to Hard_ware for the wiring info! For less than $4 I made this, but have enough material to make a bunch if I wanted to. A trip to Radio Shack for a $3.49 6"x8" prepunched perfboard and my junk box for a rubber grommet, 2 screws, a washer and a hex bolt.

I used screws through the perfboard and just ran them down to the proper length to make good contact and then cut the heads off with a Dremel. also used the Dremel to cut the perfboard.

then I put a dab of Gorilla glue on the wire to hold it in place after I threaded it thru the perfboard to relieve stress on the solder joints just before soldering a video plug to the end of the screws I cut off.

it holds nice and tight and I determined I did not need to use the slots to keep it from sliding. however if I did need to, I would just put 2 more screws thru the board into the slots, one on each side of the bolt. I was going to glue a piece of rubber that you see in the picture but decided to use electrical tape around the board instead after the glue dries

f6_zps2ee9f4e3.jpg

you could also use Plexiglas instead if you wanted to. I was going to shape a 1/4" thick piece with the angle to go along the contour of the Flir until I thought about using the screws on a straight piece. this is a lot easier than what I thought of first. the key is not to have any slack in the bolt hole (use 1/4" bit) so the board can't shift, just pivot which the bolt hole and the narrower end prevent. also the grommet works out nice and gives enough to snug it up. it works out real good and I may as well put 2 more screws in it just in case I bump it I suppose. its easy enough to do after the glue dries.

Gman don't make one without making me one...i need to hunt i don't have time for this...

put the flir on a kirk industries low mount and you can watch the fields all night..

Hey guys, I'm def going to build me a adapter like this so I can start recording some of my hunts! Thanks for all of the great advice!

Would any of y'all happen to have a good recommendation of a affordable Dvr unti to hook these up to?

Thanks
John

Back