Fishers

Boomstick

Looking to trap a fisher this year. Anytime I set bait out for 'yotes, a fisher is there within hours, regardless of location. Figured I'd try to get one of those bastards and save a handful of turkeys and other little critters. So, thinking of using deer scraps, salmon heads/meat, but want to use havahart traps as I have a few larger ones. Maybe box trap with a 160 or 220? First time doing this....so thoughts? Pointers?

Wish I could help but have never used a live trap for fur. My Fisher were in footholds at dirt holes for fox and in snares..

The 160 or 220 in a box or bucket is a great idea. Put some skunk scent nearby as an attractant and hide a chunk of meat in the back of the box. Make sure that trap is wired of really good, fishers are strong!

I've only caught a few and they have been in sets for coyotes.
See them often while bowhunting deer. They seem very active and fearless.

my opinion is they should be fairly easy to catch if they are around.
Judging from the tracks I see, they seem to like open timber bordering thick cover.

Find a balsum or other evergreen that is tipped over and is at a 45 degree angle. Then nail a cat to it at about 6 feet or so then chop all the branches off the top side making a highway to cat. Then pound 4 nails into the highway part about 4 feet high and space the nails so that a 220 conibear will fit tight on the nails this will secure the trap to the tree.

In wisconsin we cant have bait visible from above so I nail 2 sticks on above the cat and put bows and sticks to make a sort of roof over the cat.

Back