FIREFIGHTERS CHALLENGE

I happen to know a guy who's been fighting wildfires for 23 years.

IMG_1593.jpg

Quote:
I happen to know a guy who's been fighting wildfires for 23 years.

IMG_1593.jpg

Mike, as a flat country woodland firefighter I have to really tip my helmet to the folks that do my kind of work in mountianous terrain. Very little access and fighting fires with hand tools makes for some rough conditions. This is the tool of choice around our neck of the woods......

sunit.a67.jpg

Nick T

i all most missed this post /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif.
to date i have been a volly for about 8 year's here in the unknowen county of lake. i served on are department's rescue for 7 of them year's (it ran with the same name and tone's but was not part of the firedepartment) and for about 4 of them i was 3rd in charge of the mfr unit. last year we closed it do to lack of funding and other b.s. stuff(every one on the rescue had to be on the fire department but it wouldn't fund it) at that time i was recruted to the responding unit from another township and have been part of there rescue for a little over a year.
i all so served as a key man (part time wild land fire fighter) for the dnr in the spring.
like some one eles said in a post above doing the job in a small town can be a drage when you are pulling some one you know out of a house or car. the one great part about my real job is i work with the public in this area, it seem's like every day i see at least 20 or people i have ran on or saved in some way or another. but the best thing to date i have had happen was about a year ago i responded to a two car p.i.a. with 5 pt's. every one from the ems crew and other member's from are rescue was maxed out with pt's. i grabbed a buddy from another department and was told to handel the other car with two pt's in it. it was a mother and her child, we did a fast assment and treaged(sp?) the two and the little girl was the worst. we explaned to the mother what we where doing and we pulled the girl out and got her loaded up in the rig then the mother was next. a medic jumped in and my partner went to help the other's well i took are two pt's to the er. with only two bus's in are county we didn't have much time to fallow up and hear what the er doc's had to say since we had to respond back to the scene for another load. as most of you know when thing's are moving that fast you don't get much of a chance to acctualy pay all that much attion to what a pt look's like. a couple of week's went by after that call and i was working at my normal job at the store, when all of the sudden i felt a tap on my back. when i turned around this little girl excuesed her self for bothering me, then her mother asked if i remembered her and her doughter, at first i didn't but i knew i had seen them before but couldent remember where the mother them told me that they had been in a crash a couple week's back and it hit me then where i had seen them. the little girl then took over and thanked me and asked for a hug and thanked me for saving her life and she all so thanked me for saving her mom. i about melted. her mom went on to say that ever since she got home from the hospital her doughter had been driving her nutt's to come tell me that since this little girl knew where i worked, and she remembered it. but do to her leg injury's there wasn't any way her mom could bring her in. then the little girl said she had some thing for me, she reached in her little pocket and pulled out a pewter color coin that said fire department and the multes(sp?) cross on one side and on the other it had the firefighter prayer on it. as she handed it to me she said "sir i seen this and i know how you and all your buddy's put your live's on the line to keep people like my mom and me safe at no matter what cost". she then said " when i seen the prayer on it i just knew that if you had it god would keep you safe no matter how bad of a fire you go to, that way if you have any kid's i know when ever you have a fire that you would come home to them". at that point i have to addmit it was the first time i started to get choked up a bit. at that point she said once again i am sorry to bother you at work, i thanked her again and gave her a hug and she gave me a kiss on my cheek, then her mother thanked me again and gave me a hug and they both left. i turned to go back to my job and noticed i had about 4 other people in line (i work in a food store)and all of them had heard what the little girl had said and they started clapping, my boss had all so over heard what was said then the clapping he shot me a look and some how read my face and told me to take a short break. when i got home that night i told my wife about what happened (she is a first responder as well) and she even teared up some. i carry that coin with me every day in my wallet just like the little girl wanted me to.
as for the cop thing, we tell are cop's that they are, are haz mat test crew (for some dumb reason they get dispatched first to every thing before fire) since they roll up first 90% of the time we look to see if they are up walking around on that type of call, if not we know we don't go in to it till are haz mat crew show's up. it's more of a joke since we work together so much. i have a tone of respect for them just the same as i am sure they do us. i have had more than one county cop run a hose line out as we are stopping the truck's and setting up, and we have had more than one jump right up and dig in with us if some thing went wrong. just like any one of us would do for them if they needed it.
bow

Great story bowhuntingnut! It's nice to have folks come up to yaand show their appreciation from time to time even if it is that your just doing your job. Closest thing I have to that is that an older couple showed up at my house that I helped out on a wreck they were in, thanking for my being there to help and also offered permission to fish in their ponds which are within an hours drive. I held C-Spine on the gentleman for almost an hour while they dismantled the car with a Hurst tool to get his wife out. Neither had extensive injuries but the car was so twisted you couldn't get her out any other way. Didn't expect to see them again, they went through the trouble to get the records from the local fire department and took a Saturday afternoon to visit the people that responded. It was a pleasant supprise.

Nick T

7 more years 'til I pull the plug. I dont respond any more unless Arson, Death or Haz Mat. Young guys don't like us ole farts around!!LOL
The last 19 years with a city department near Tacoma.
Couldn't do our job without the PD.

bofire, i kinda know what you mean. we are going through some of that on my department. not that i have been on a long time compared to some other guy's that have posted. but the crew i done most of my time with over the year's has all left for one reason or another and i am the last one from that group. the newer guy's have the want but not the know how but when you try to give them a tip or two they blow you off and say that was old school or some thing along them line's. right now we are full of in house problem's that we are trying to work out, before it sink's.
nick, you are right it don't happen often, but when it does it realy hit's home. i kinda think 9-11 has opened more eye's to what all of us do. it seemed before 9-11 not to many people said thank you and was quick to critsize, but after at least in my area people are saying thank you more and waving more when they see the light's on are pov's. i know alot of the guy's got in to it as glory secers at least around here and i have had to set more than one of are guy's strait for trying to use what happened on 9-11. it seem's for every one good volly we get 2 or 3 people that try that crap. but i can't help but think if that did not happen the way thing's were pre 9-11 would have still be the same. i just wish that the public would have seen before. it still kinda blow's my mind on how for every one person that tell's us thank you, we get about 3 or 4 people that complan's one way or another from reponce time's to it took you to long to gear up or start throwing water. but i think a thank you like you talked about or i talked about more than make's up for the thing's that can go wrong.
to all of the brother's and sister's, even though we might not live in the same area's or even know each other thank you for doing the job on both medical or fire.
bow

Nick T,
I was in Florida during the seige of 98. You guys on the plows saved my bacon many times! My crews would show up to the fire and the first thing I looked for was the "plow". Where's the plow was my mantra. Thank you for the job you do. We have mountains, you guys have southern rough. Both will eat your lunch in no time!

Quote:
Nick T,
I was in Florida during the seige of 98. You guys on the plows saved my bacon many times! My crews would show up to the fire and the first thing I looked for was the "plow". Where's the plow was my mantra. Thank you for the job you do. We have mountains, you guys have southern rough. Both will eat your lunch in no time!

I tried to go down in '98 but was informed that my tractor wasn't big enough for the needs down there. I thought they were full of it until in 2000 when I went down to the GA coast on the Blunt's Pasture Fire, then I saw right quick that they were right. Mine was a toy compaired with most of the others there and performance wise I could get the job done but not like the heavies with V blades and double disc plows.

If you catch me south of the border, you'll see me in this most likely. 86 Chevy 5/4 ton, 3" lift, 36" Super Swampers, 12K Warn winch, all aluminum bed, 300gal tank with F500 foamed water, plenty of hose to get the job done. Locked, Stocked, and Ready to Rock.........

QUICKRESPONSE001.jpg

It's an ongoing project truck, keeps us busy during the slow times. Always looking for ways to improve on it. Got called over to the Statesboro Complex fires last May with it for a week, really shined in that sandy terrain, think I made a couple of folks jelious.

Nick T

Jim, you just stepped in it now buddy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif

I step away for a weeks vacation and look what I come back to, Champion busten my chops when I am not even here to defend myself.

17 years with Honey Creek Fire Department, 6 volunteer and 11 career, been a Lieutenant on Engine Co. 93 for the last 4 years.

23 YRS IN FIRE SERVICE, 11 YRS AS CAREER FIREFIGHTER IN HARRISBURG, PA... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3rd alarm welcome back and much better picture. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i guess this post has run its course. as all that responded know just what it is to be a firefighter, its not a job, its an adventure. words cannot describe what it is to be a member of the brotherhood .most are outdoorsman to the core, fire & police had competition in New Orleans, few yrs. back. one event was a tug o war..police came out , dress right dress, muscles bulging, doing the swat team jog..hup.hup. couldnt tell one from the other. here came the fire boys, no one had the same look, carrying beer coolers, towels over their heads,shower shoes, a sweet thang hanging on . the police were standing at parade rest observing with distain. the spectators were giggling & taughting the pie belly fireboys. all got ready, rope in hand, sweet thangs holding the beer,digging in , the police were chanting,,, signal to pull was given,[im not making this up its true] the fire boys gave one humongus yank. the police all went to the mud hole. up they come, ready to do battle. fireboys all smiled & offered them a beer.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif us fireboys got it together, pie bellies and all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

Man you boys fighting fires in the big country hand to hand have my deepest regards. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif That is tought stuff, I get tired just looking at pictures. I have been a Paramedic/Emt for 8 years and a Full time Firefighter for 3. I have worked rural county stuff and city stuff. City boys are spoiled. The rural enviroment is a whole different world. Were I work now we cant do anything without calling a second alarm. Its amazing how much you learn when there isnt someone to back you up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Todd

i just cant let this thread die so heres a poem i like.

My Brother has fallen,
No I don't know his name,
We have not the same parents,
Yet family all the same.

He lives in this town,
I live in another,
But it doesn't matter,
For this man is my brother.

My Brother, I call him, yet I have never seen his face,
For I have Brothers and Sisters all over the place.
For I am a Firefighter and our families are one,
A tradition passed down, from father to son.

Around the world, a brotherhood of unity,
A closeness, a bond, most people don't see.
I'll watch his back, and he'll watch mine,
"I'll go, you go," time after time.

His family is my family, and my family theirs,
We're part of a family, where everyone cares.
I'll look after your kids, please check in on my wife,
If the day should come, when I lay down my life.

We dedicate our lives, to helping our fellow man,
Living day after day doing all that we can.
Wherever we're needed, be it nighttime or day,
To save someone's life, we'll step in harm's way.

My Brother has fallen, doing what he loved best,
And among the honored, he stands with the rest.
For a mile, in dress uniform, here everyone stands,
For my Brother has fallen God, into your hands.

Back