facemasks????

bigsky_songdogs

I was wondering how many incorporate face masks into their camo setups, especially i the winter? I am looking at maybe a UA coldgear hood to add to my snow camo setup, to keep me warm in the freezing weather and to cover my face.

I am also thinking whether or not a graphite colored one would still work well so it can be used for other winter activities without staining like a white on would, any thoughts on that?

I use the UA hoodie, it works great, I have white for winter, regular camo for spring through fall.
When it is a bit colder I'll add a neck gaiter as well, and when it is hot, I have a 3d leaf mask I'll wear instead of the ua hoodie.
I have several other masks/head covers, should something go wrong with the others.

I wear a leafy suit over my regular hunting clothes, the yote' I killed this weekend looked straight at me and couldn't see me
thumbup.gif

I have a standard baklava that I used to wear on a motorcycle, but my hunting cap has a mesh veil that subdues it and when coupled with my ghillie, there is nothing that looks like a human...

thanks YS. were you wearing a face mask with it? thats really what i am looking for.

it is 20deg and we have 10in of snow on the ground, so i am looking for face protection to be more comfortable. i am thinking a snow camo beanie over a UA hood, or even a snow camo bombers hat or something.

Yep, got a leafy face mask too, and an insulated one for when it gets cold. The warmest thing I can think of is a wool baclava, got cut outs for eyes and nose, reaaally warm and comfortable. I will try to find a link real quick

i looked at the baclavas, and the UA one is sort of like a compression one as the head part and face part can turn into a neck gator etc, but im thinking that a regular on might be a little bulky when trying to get down on the stock to shoot etc and might limit peripheral vision?????

The black ones the military used to issue for subzero temps are money. They have some weird beads almost like styrofoam that ensures they stay thick but don't weigh anything. I do recall them being made of wool. Used to wear them all the time in korea and northern ny. Ppl look at you really funny though.

I use the ua hood and the ua turkey mask. Wore my hood the other night and was surprised how well I was able to use a mouth call with it on.

Sorry, I can't find one at bass pro or cabelas. Maybe gander mountain? Anyway, its really warm and isn't like underarmour, which freezes as the moisture from your nose and mouth breath wets it.

I have used a camo face net hanging from the front of my hat in summer or snow down to -10 deg.
Naturally the color is darker in snow but passes just fine. Maybe it appears as a hole or cavity in the snow. Have had kills under 25 yds with .22-250 and near 0 fur damage using 55 gr psp over and over.

I where a mesh facemask that ties in the back during the warmer months and a thick camo one that I got from LL Bean. It will keep me warm well below zero and doesnt get in the way. I will see if I can find a link.

When it hits cold, I got a fleece neck gaiter in mossy oak that can be pulled up on the face. Toasty warm.

When it's warm enough I use a mesh facemask, if I wear one at all.

White knit 1-hole ski mask with a 1-hole Nomex PBI fire hood over the top. Coldest I've worn both was on a -40WC hunt. Wind was a stout 20+mph that day.

73fb2a4b.jpg

Originally Posted By: bigsky_songdogsI was wondering how many incorporate face masks into their camo setups, especially i the winter? I am looking at maybe a UA coldgear hood to add to my snow camo setup, to keep me warm in the freezing weather and to cover my face.

I am also thinking whether or not a graphite colored one would still work well so it can be used for other winter activities without staining like a white on would, any thoughts on that?

this is a good consideration, i use the UA white hood, sure it gets dirty but i've bleached it a few times and its as white as the first time i wore it... out here in SD when its -0 during most morning and evening hunts the UA hood is a good choice, a very good choice.

Back