Educated coyotes??

Quote:
Are all coyote receptive to howling ? I don't believe so. do to numbers, and food source.
Are all coyotes receptive to howling at breeding time? I believe so

Just pointing out, Big George, that these two statements conflict. According to that logic all coyotes have to be receptive to howling. Do you think that immature coyotes would respond to howling during breeding season because of sex?

I also don't see the correlation between densities and food sources in regards to howling.
Just a thought on my part. What are yours?

I read that quote as bein..Early fall when coyote numbers are higher before deer hunters, callers and other folks kill a few off, howling is not as effective. They are less territorial, that's sounds odd, but I believe the stakes are higher closer to breeding season, thus enticing more stern territorial traits being shown, with Howling proving to be alot more successfull.

I think rather than food sources becoming the equation in early season howling numbers, I believe it's from less territorial traits and alot of YOY that are intimidated by howling.

JD

I was up on the mountain yesterday,the coyotes were holding classes on mange,food gathering and avoiding people.Mange,food gathering was at the top of there list.Avoiding people was only brought up by one coyote,as for he lost a toe in a trap.Sound and what they mean will be held at there next meeting.All coyotes that want to attend are welcome. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

smithers,that is a good post!I use howling a lot and there are many times i would have came home empty handed had i not used howls. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Rich Cronk, You may get warts from mishandling a frog. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Kirby, can you tell me more about your specific area? From the picture it looks similar to some of my country.

Are there a lot of people around, cities, ranches or farms?
Calling/hunting pressure?

Quote:
I talked to Rich Higgins for an hour and a half today and that was part of our talk. He solidified my beliefs on the matter and If anyone knows the behaviour of these animals it is him and I trust his knowledge.

To prevent this from happening......

1. Get some aluminium foil. (Reynolds wrap is perfect)

2. Tear off a piece thats about 2.5' long.

3. Form it into a cone shape, you kinda want it to look like a Hersey's kiss. The taller the cone is, the more effective it will work.

4. Wear it on your head approximatly 2 to 3 hours a day. This will ward off any mind numbing effects and prevent any more brain waves from penetrating. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Mike, follow RanUtah's instructions carefully. However invert the cone so that it acts as a megacollector and it will gather and compact all of the good info available on this board. One caveat: do not allow it to point in the direction of N Texas unless Randy posts instructions how to make a firewall and virus filter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Redfrog,
A couple of pics, of my hunt area.
http://www.hunt101.com/img/490791-big.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/img/497899-big.jpg

Both of these pics, show the other side of their mile section. Coyotes, hang near the middle. Scanning, before they sleep...The locals tend to ball-up & sleep after a short while. Nomads, do not. I have some hearing loss. I can hear a vehicle on the gravel a mile away on a cold day. No doubt the coyotes do as well.

A couple hunters in the same area[1-caller & 2-spot/stalkers]. But they don't hunt, near as often as I do. As it's very rare to run across them.

Farmer's don't shoot @ them typically. As they tend not to carry firearms in their trucks. Et are to busy farming.

Only one local farmer[as far as I know]. Chase's them occasionally with trucks, late Winter. After snow hits the ground.

Last edited:
Browning204,

Ask your friend if he will elaborate on this thread. About [testing]coyote hearing ability. I'm interested to know more, thanks.

Quote:
Quote:
coyotes can listen to 10 noises at one and process each noise by themselves.

browning204,

Where did that research come from?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Good looking calling country!

For future reference, if you look at the grain cart tracks in the first picture, you'll see one that starts just behind the coyote and angles and curves up the hill to the fence line. Pay attention to those type of things when you setup. Those angling cross row tracks will lead a coyote right to you, almost like they were on a string.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
coyotes can listen to 10 noises at one and process each noise by themselves.

browning204,

Where did that research come from?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Why don't we make a thread in coyote biology and see what we come up with there. Then if need be, people can do their own research.

It should be fun.

All you need Kirby is a full size cow decoy cut out of cardboard and your good to go! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Kinda like the guy's use for Antelope in the plains.

That land looks alot like I have here in Ohio, Rolling hills and alot of big crop fields. Although in your pics versus mine, I have 3 times the amount of rural houses.

JD

Back