Dogboy/Jimanaz Take 5 Down

Dogboy

After several phone conversations and emails, me and Jim were able to hook up in Arizona this weekend. What a great time we had, during and after the hunt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

After a 4 hour drive on Friday braving high winds and a dust storm, I arrived at the motel, Jim was already out scouting for the evening hunt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The weather, well we both knew it was going to be warmer than we wanted, for shall we say the best of calling.

We did a total of 24 stands from Friday evening to Sunday morning. Called 8 coyotes and took 5 of them. Saw 4, and heard many howling at our locater call after sunset. And a couple times during stands. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

The morning tempratures were in the low 40's, but come noon, it was in the low 80's, and both Kalifornia and Arizona this is very unusual weather were having.

We did 5 stands Friday evening, and only managed to call one dog that came in fast downwind to my extreme right, the dog hit my scent and was gone in a flash. The cover was pretty dense.

The coyote was also just out of shotgun range, even with a rifle it didn't stick around long enough for a decent shot.

We headed back to town at sunset with high hopes, Saturday would produce some decent numbers. If the weather had been cooler I have no doubt we would have taken more coyotes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As long as I've been hunting coyotes, I will say I've never seen more coyote, fox and bobcat tracks, along with fresh scat in my life.

Throw in a couple nice sets of lion tracks too..Unbelievable sign everywhere we went. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Saturday morning we were in the field before sunrise. Jim was glassing the fields for coyotes. We spotted one about 275 yards out, Jim sent a hail Mary at the coyote and just missed it. Stupid coyote had no idea where the shot came from, it eventually headed for the thick stuff.

After stand 1 which was a blank, I decided to run the caller. Jim had no objections. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Stand 2, at the 3 minute mark to jackrabbit distress, I see a coyote coming in cross wind at a good trot to my right, as I swing for the shot, I see coyote #2 about 25 yards behind the first, but closer at 40 yards.

The coyote stops to look at me, I nail him with a load of DC from my Mossberg and down it goes. Coyote number 1 is out of there. I hit pup distress and then go back to jackrabbit distress.

At the 9 minute mark, I see a coyote about 45 yards in front of me but heading towards Jim, I accidentally fired on the dog changing it's direction for Jim, who nailed it as it tried to run off with a load of 4 buck from his shotgun.

Jim said something about being a dog hog... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif 2 coyotes down. Both males.
Double-1.jpg

Stand 3 at the 2 minute mark playing cottontail distress a nice old dog with a few teeth left, comes racing into the call in front of me, I hit that one with a load of DC and down it goes.

ShotgunDog-1.jpg

We did several more stands with no luck.

We headed to town for lunch and discovered Jim had a minor mechanical difficulty with his CHEBBY truck, which we were able to get fixed.

Sunday morning we again see a coyote in the melon fields and watch him head into the thick stuff.

Stand 2 Jim is kind enough to allow a first year coyote at the 5 minute mark, to come into the call across his field of fire, bark at the coyote to get my attention, as were 50 yards apart, and allow me to get my first coyote with my AR.

What a pal Jim... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

When Jim barks, I look to my right and see a coyote heading out of town, I put the Eotech on the coyotes left shoulder, fire, another coyote down.
AR15Dog-1.jpg

On stand 4 after 12 minutes, I call the stand, mute the caller and stand up to see a coyote about 150 yards out standing a long the fence line, looking towards the caller. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

I missed the off hand shot and it's gone into the desert. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Stand 7 and the last one of the morning, as it's getting hot, at the 4 minute mark a nice female coyote comes into my hard left and by some bushes where I can't see her, but Jim can, he anchors here with a shot from his AR at 50 yards.
JimsDog-1.jpg

Anyways we had a great time with high hopes of returning to the area when the weather gets cooler.

Thanks Jim for a great time, I'll be working on the boiler.

A special note for Scott..If I had brought my Benelli with me, and let Jim shoot it, I think I'd have him sold on more shotgunning than using the AR.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
A special note for Scott..If I had brought my Benelli with me, and let Jim shoot it, I think I'd have him sold on more shotgunning than using the AR....

Don't hold your breath on that one. He sleeps with that AR. If that AR-15 could cook, he'd marry it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nice job gentleman. Your as lethal in Arizona as you are in SoCal Ken /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif. Of course it doesnt hurt when you have a guide like Jim /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif. Good narrative and pictures Ken. Calling has been a little slow around here as well because of warmer weather and the ever present Wyoming wind. Glad you got that new AR bloody. Thats a bonus.

I bet Mike could make an AR that cooks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Dogboy congrats on getting the AR broke in right.

Oh what a fantastic time I had hanging and hunting with Ken for the weekend. Had the high temperatures been 15-20 degrees cooler, no doubt we would have called a few more coyotes. But none the less, not bad for a couple guys going into an area pretty much blind. There's plenty of critters living around there for sure.

I guess I should be happy I wasn't there by myself. Those coyotes did NOT appreciate my calling! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif I would put the caller out, play a jackrabbit sound and nobody would come to the party. We move down the road a ways and Ken puts out the same kind of caller, plays a jackrabbit sound and a triple shows up. I may not be Einstein, but I'm not an idiot either. "Ken you go ahead and run the caller from here on." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:
Jim said something about being a dog hog...

This was funny. I saw that little guy trotting in about 70 yards out and started tracking him with my shotgun. He was coming in steady and closing the distance so I let him keep coming. I was going to bust him as soon as he cleared one more bush. It was a timing thing and as soon as I saw his head, I fired. Problem was Ken was just a little faster on the trigger and turned him out of my pattern. He tried to exit the stand right in front of me and my second shot somersaulted him just before he got to freedom. I guess Ken was thinking that I was enjoying watching him too much. He says he "accidentally fired". I think not. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The one that Ken shot with his new AR I watched from about 150 yards out and kept thinking "dang it, Ken mute the call and shoot him". The Sun was in his eyes and Ken wasn't looking that direction. When the coyote stopped to sniff the caller I was going to shoot him but there was a lone stalky weed in the way. As he started to leave I barked and that got Ken's attention. I'm happy he got to knock some of the shine off that Remington. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

You have to love small towns. One of the suspension bolts on my truck had loosened up and was backing out. We couldn't come up with the right tools to fix it but a lady at the motel says "Oh Pancho can fix that. He's down at mile post 11 or 14 or something like that". Thank goodness for Pancho, easiest $30 he ever made.

Quote:
I'll be working on the boiler.

I should have never let those words slip from my mouth. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif He's probably already ordered his Nutrisystem program. But he went out with style. The ham steak he ate for breakfast just before we parted ways hung over both sides of his plate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Marry the AR? Hmmm, maybe, at least I don't have to talk to the Carey Custom. I've shotgunned 2 coyotes recently.....I'm not totally single minded. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

I'll be looking forward to the next rendezvous pal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Way to go Dogboy and jimanaz /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Great stories and pictures. Ken what kind of AR did you end up getting?

Hey Ken, you should at least spell your partners name correctly. I was thinking maybe you hunted at the local taco joint or something. LOL!!!

Good hunt fella's, thanks for the call Ken..

Quote:
Way to go Dogboy and jimanaz /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Great stories and pictures. Ken what kind of AR did you end up getting?

I bought a Remington R15 with 18 barrel..

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Back