Do you…

Spurchaser

So many different threads I figured I’d start here. When calling at night, do you try and get coyotes to answer when first calling, or do you start off with a prey sound?

I’ve been starting off with a female howl, a pair, then a challenge bark/howl. If nothing sounds off I go to a prey sound and run it 3-5 minutes while adjusting volume. I’ll scroll through different sounds and if nothing by the 20 minute mark I’ll stop for 2-3 minutes and start back with the coyote challenge then pup distress. If nothing in the next 10min or so I pack it up and move.

So far if I’ve gotten a response, we’ve had them come in. I’ve also had them come in on the prey sounds without hearing them first.

If someone wouldn’t mind, could you walk me through a few calling sequences that work/produce for you?

Start for 3-4 min with a low distress for the "low hanging fruit" before you get into vocals. After that, what you are doing is fine except as duck said, no aggressive stuff unless they start it. I don't know where you are from but in the east, I have found silence can be your friend after vocals. I always wait 15min minimum before leaving.

This time of year, I generally start w/female sore howl or invitational. After decent interval might try prey distress sometimes add a fight sequence, then end w/pup distress. Sit a few before moving on. Only time I use challenge howl is in response to a challenge howl.

How long are you guys using invitation or sore howls? Iately, I haven’t had great luck if I howl for longer than 30 seconds or so. Seems like if I use non aggressive vocals for longer durations, they just won’t respond.

I almost always start with a female long howl on the electronic call or I’ll use an MFK Howling MOFO or Blackout mouth call and howl 2-3 long howls. This will usually trigger every coyote within a two mile radius to howl back. Sometimes that alone will bring in coyotes.

Well this all depends on if you've ever watched a Randy Anderson video as your instructional tutorial and then in that case open EVERY stand with a howl :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

In the late 90s, early 2000s is when vocals really became popular and guys thought you had to open and or use vocals because Randy preached on it. Does it work?? Sometimes! Does using only distress work, sometimes! Point is nothing works everything, everywhere. Example I know of places that get hit by newbies that you can't kill a coyote with distress, same as places that if you howl you can't kill one because they've been educated.

Stay fluid and try both. Distress doesn't only mean rabbit, and just because your area might not have jackrabbit or prarie dogs doesn't mean they don't work either! Study on coyotes vocalization to actually know what they are "saying" and how to respond accordingly.

Volume is just as important as what sound you choose. I like to start with low volume. What we can barely hear, a coyote can hear from a long long ways!

Well this all depends on if you've ever watched a Randy Anderson video as your instructional tutorial and then in that case open EVERY stand with a howl :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

In the late 90s, early 2000s is when vocals really became popular and guys thought you had to open and or use vocals because Randy preached on it. Does it work?? Sometimes! Does using only distress work, sometimes! Point is nothing works everything, everywhere. Example I know of places that get hit by newbies that you can't kill a coyote with distress, same as places that if you howl you can't kill one because they've been educated.

Stay fluid and try both. Distress doesn't only mean rabbit, and just because your area might not have jackrabbit or prarie dogs doesn't mean they don't work either! Study on coyotes vocalization to actually know what they are "saying" and how to respond accordingly.

Volume is just as important as what sound you choose. I like to start with low volume. What we can barely hear, a coyote can hear from a long long ways!
When I first started, I wouldn't start with howls if fox season was open because I was told a fox won't come in if you start your stand with coyote vocals. I proved that wrong a couple weekends ago.

I agree with this for the volume. With that said, I messed up on a coyote last weekend and it ended up back in the woods barking and howling at me. I was shocked at how load that coyote sounded a few hundred yards away. Definitely loader than I typically run my call!

Back