Do you paint your rifle for coyote hunting?

My main calling rifles are both dull finished dark earth, so no paint. However, I painted my Primos trigger sticks and it makes a big difference in their visibility. If I had a plain black rifle, I'd paint it. If it was pretty and shiny, I'd vet wrap it.

Good idea desertram. I painted my trigger sticks. I am painting my AR15 right now. I love the results so far. No regrets. They are tools to me. I should make sure they can best accomplish their intended task.

I could not bring myself to paint my ACOG and T2 that is on the rifle. Maybe later.

7-F9300-D5-15-BA-4-D67-8363-CB9-E86-F4-E62-D.jpg

Last edited:
I painted one bolt rifle and it was marginal but practical for daytime hunting. All my night calling rifles are black and unpainted.

Looks great BJJ223! I painted my Ruger M77 but the stainless steel barrel paint chips easily.

Anybody know how to prevent this?

I’d rather put camo tape or wrap on it. That way when I get tired of looking at the camo I can change it up. To me a camo paint job will kill the resale value if, and when, I trade it for something else. Unless you take hours of cleaning it off. I’m always selling and swapping. It’s like trying to sell a custom painted car. It takes the right buyer…or having to sell at a reduced price. If your never going to sell or trade it who cares. Never spooked a predator with a non camo gun to date yet. Had a bobcat run right up within a few feet of me last year while spring Turkey calling with a non camo shotgun. He didn’t care. Was more focused on me thinking I was breakfast.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BJJ223I use an AR15 for my coyote hunting. It has a tan stock and black everything else. I am trying to work up the courage to rattlecan paint it with camo paint. But, I am not sure if I will like the result and regret it.

Do you think a camo gun is necessary for calling coyotes?

Look up Hydrographics. It's easy and does a great job. Some places near where you live may do Hydrographic dipping. Watch YouTube videos also.

Originally Posted By: BJJ223I use an AR15 for my coyote hunting. It has a tan stock and black everything else. I am trying to work up the courage to rattlecan paint it with camo paint. But, I am not sure if I will like the result and regret it.

Do you think a camo gun is necessary for calling coyotes?

Nope,

I think there is still a video out there of Gerry Blair in a Santa suit killing a coyote. I have heard stories of the old timers danm near wiping out wild game wearing red flannel shirts/coats, not camo anywhere.

However, I have painted a few of my firearms, and occasionally wear camo. I think it helps. I have a few "Pretty rifles" I won't paint, though.

RLcCUNdm.jpg

fLLJp61m.jpg

I agree with Junki…necesssary, no. But I like to have any advantage I can, so I do paint mine. Anything I can do to look like anything except what I am could buy me that extra time I need to make the shot.

I think movement busts more coyote hunters than colors. I know I’ve been spotted, even in camo…but they don’t react the same as they would when they see a person, more of a “what is that goofy bush doing” kind of look.

I rattle can mine…I’d base color then apply my break up colors with a natural sponge…easy, cheap, quick to touch up…

For shiny bluing and wood I make Velcroed sleeves to go over them.

Before
KSCNXZ.jpg

After
K3PYiS.jpg

Success
Hg8qej.jpg

Last edited:

Quote:

For shiny bluing and wood I make Velcroed sleeves to go over them.

Before
KSCNXZ.jpg

Shook me up for a minute, there. Was almost afraid that if I scrolled down I'd see a beautiful mannlicher stocked rifle all rattle canned up.
wink.gif
That's one place I'd draw the line on painting a rifle.
grin.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: AWSMe too.

The sleeve protects them from scratches too.

Yes it does. My match grade M1 is another one spared the rattle can.
45911298731_73a436cd47_z.jpg

Regards,
hm

I probably would for fun but I've killed enough coyotes with a stainless barrel shining in the sun that I don't worry about it too much. I just sit in the shade if that's a factor that comes into play. Painted guns look cool though. I'd probably have one cerakoted if anything and will at some point. It won't be anything too extravagant though.

Back