Do you cary a sidearm also?

Hidalgo

Just wondering if anyone else carries a sidearm when hog hunting? I once wounded a large boar when I lived in Tennessee, and when I tracked him into a thicket he came out with a vengeance. I managed to hit him with a lucky shot from the hip and put him down, but if I had missed it would have been a bad situation. After that, I have always carried a sidearm no matter what I am hunting if it is legal to do so. Rifles in close quarters aren't always a good thing. Never had to use it (yet) but it sure makes me feel better knowing it is there.

I carry this everywhere I go...147g XTP handloads at 1100fps
Snapchat-1613551396.jpg

Ii had to pull my 38 snubnose the other night. Was calling and a housecat snuck up on me. He knocked some rocks down the steep bank below were I was calling from. Didn't see him until he got within 10 feet. Scared the crap out of me!

I could have been killed.. lol

YOU & ME both brother!!!
I mean to be fair, we do have them in Eastern Oregon, but I've only seen like 3 while I've been here in 30 years, and they're nowhere near that size. Bout half as long, and maybe a third as big around. Those are monsters! Where is that? Looks like maybe Texas/New Mexico/Arizona? No freaking way haha.

I carry a ruger mark IV tactical with a vortex red dot 22, with a supressor in my backpack… it’s come in handy many times in self defense situations against crippled coyotes 🥷

I mean to be fair, we do have them in Eastern Oregon, but I've only seen like 3 while I've been here in 30 years, and they're nowhere near that size. Bout half as long, and maybe a third as big around. Those are monsters! Where is that? Looks like maybe Texas/New Mexico/Arizona? No freaking way haha.
Southmost Tx. Ya know, those little ones worry me more than the 6'ers. First the big ones are easier to see and the little ones are more feisty IMO. Biggest one it think I've ever killed hung between 6" and a foot over both sides of the tail gate on a full size Chevy PU. Never measured or got a picture of that one. Those three would go 6'. The one on the left was a bit over 6' and I'd worry a bit more about him as the skinny ones are a bit more lively. He was pretty aggressive, but fortunately was having a hard time getting traction in the deep sand where we ran across him. My son drove up as this (guestimated 5 1/2 to 6 footer was about to cross the road. I think the snake felt the vibrations of the truck and started to draw back. My son took the picture and then drove off without finishing the job. I don't take pictures of live rattIers. IDK, I tried to raise him right, don't know where I went wrong.:ROFLMAO:
1708790567554.jpeg
1708791024037.jpeg

Funny story. Several years ago I was unable to buy the CCI shotshells and had exhausted my stash. Posted a WTB shotshells or shot capsules in the classifieds and Ackleyman responded he had 50 he could spare so I said I'd take them. He said he had some 7 1/2 shot he'd be glad to fill them for me, which was a blessing as I don't load shotgun and was planning on breaking down loaded shells to rob the shot. I had mixed feelings about the 7 1/2's as CCI uses #9, but the big snakes often took two shots to put them out of commission and they really don't appreciate the first one. Felt like the larger shot would be more lethal, but wondered about pattern out of the snubbie. Well, loaded them up and told Keith I'd let him know how they worked. Checked the pattern and it was great at about 6', maybe better than the 9's, so knew they'd be great. 6-8 months later, I called Keith and told him that's the best snake load I'd ever had, because I hadn't seen a snake since I started carrying them. :ROFLMAO: The rest of the story is, I still haven't seen a snake and that's been a couple of years, but don't get out nearly as often as I used to.

Supposedly a Texas game warden picked up a severed head of a large rattler that had been killed to throw it off the sendero and the head reflexed, biting him and inflicted a near fatal dose of venom. Just call me paranoid, I usually cut the head off before handling them if they're still squirming.
Another skinny one and he was lively enough for some added concern:
1708792852591.jpeg

I saw this with my own eyes, and it made a believer of me. I killed a little rattler, maybe a bit over 2' when my son was a pre-teen. He asked if he could skin it for the hide so I removed the head. My son and a friend skinned the snake and it was still squirming. They called me to show me that the snake still reacted to stimulus. They would pat the (skinned & beheaded) snake and it would coil up and strike! I wasn't surprised that it would move, but who knew it would strike! Talk about muscle memory!

HM, me too. I was surprised at how well they functioned in my Kimber, no issues at all. Those CCI 45’s wreck a copperhead’s world. Haven’t seen any rattlers while hog hunting in Georgia, but just because I haven’t doesn’t mean they aren’t there. They are. One local guy down there was bit by one year before last and is still having issues from it.

Years ago I used to load snake shot for revolvers, .38 Special, .357 Mag and .44 Special. The CCI 45’s the best I have used.

I bought some 45ACP shotshells and was pleasantly surprised to find they actually fed & functioned well in my1911.

I've never had any that would feed and eject reliably in any of my 1911s. Maybe the recoil spring I have is different. They turn mine into a single shot pistol and most of the time they stovepipe instead of ejecting.

Back