disapearing coyotes

Originally Posted By: TA17remi can kill more coyotes than you and thats the only thing that matters

Originally Posted By: TA17remi can kill more coyotes than you and thats the only thing that matters

That's just about the most immature, arrogant, and assinine statement ever posted on Predator Masters.
What a loser!

kudocuda, hey don't underestimate TA17rem. If there is one thing I have learned from him, once he reaches rock bottom he will grab a shovel and keep digging.
wink.gif
Trust me he will underwhelm you once again before too long.

A yr ago I caught 35 coyotes on 6 farms. I only had one that looked like a pup, should have been close to 50% pups. This yr I couldn't afford to trap but on 4 farms, only 2 most of the time. I caught 16, 2-3 looked to maybe be pups. I figured it was due to distemper, the coons, badgers, and 2 fox were all adults. Distemper kills the young ones not resistant to it. My guess would be distemper. Hunters, or road shooters will lower the population for a short time. Also if they are run out a time or two they may pick a quieter location for a few weeks. Many reasons why you don't see any on a short term or small area.

Tactical .20; Where you also seeing a decline in coon numbers on these farms??? If you have an outbreak of distemper you would also see it in the coon population...

Tim if you have mange it is going to effect your coyote numbers to some degree, no getting around that! Killing the female is bunk. Coyotes are pair bonded and as far as that goes. I have killed females and had the male and at times nurse maid help raise those pups. They don't move far. Once coyote pups are weaned they can be adopted by other coyotes, they have and will be. If your talking mating season then it stands to reason you kill a female and the male will go find another female to breed. Every female on a den is the the aplha female Tim.

Coyotes aren't wolves. They maybe avoiding your calling but kill all the females you want I'm betting the others are in the same area or close to it. Just need to pick them up differently.

Geographic change can occur but there not moving far in farm land country because of it. Corn or bean rotation those coyotes will be there somehwere, as farmland coyotes have short home ranges due to abundances of food.

Also mating season will have those coyotes on the move looking for a mate as well. Look around cattle operations as well those with cover near by, as those coyotes at this time of year with snows will hang close to them.

Tim can I ask how you received such an ego???? We call them legands in their own mind types LOL. In the coyote chasing world we have a few of those who are legands in thier own minds, sad but true. Good day and good luck.

Last edited:
Tim good coyote habitat will fill in with more coyotes at this time of year. In fact those good areas will have coyotes in them well into march and april. I have seen it many,many times. It could be your not out hunting come March and April.

You can take out alot of coyotes in a given area in January and you will have fill in and denning areas by March. Those coyotes are mobil up until they whelp those pups and where you kill coyotes out of now those denning location will have coyotes in them come March and April.

Yup, the coons were far and few between, and all adults. If you only have pockets of coyoets, do you then have some fox pockets also? Otherwise it seems in so MN and N IA we have a good number of coyotes and vertually no fox.

Nope, trapping is! I wish we had a few pockets of fox. I miss it so much. I used to hunt fox every non blizzard day in the winter. Best yr hunting I shot 78 singles and caught 35, yr before snared 131, and shot 10 found one dead by snare, car hit it. Never would have thought we would loose them all to mange, 18 yrs now.

I've only seen two Reds so far, Tac. Gave them both a free pass. Coyotes on the other hand, appears to be plenty.

Last edited:
Truck hunting is what you do? Mange only a small part of it? We had very few coyotes when the mange wiped the fox out, it took more than 90% of them. Also, an article put out by MN DNR stated they lost 89% of the fox to the mange. With the fox gone, there was all this food and the coyotes expanded rapidly.

Last edited:
Quote:Truck hunting is what you do?

No we don't hunt them with trucks if thats what youre asking.

Here in Mn. we spot and stalk, and do a modified version of it. we snipe them also and take them any way that is legal here.. Calling is'nt a opption in my area so i go out west for that or farther north in the state..

As for the fox i would say hunting or over hunting had more to do with it than anything.. Back when the fox started to decrease there was a rise in the number of hunters in the field and a majority of the fox where taken at breeding time. Hunters shooting them off there holes.. Our group made an agreement not to shoot any fox in the last few years and now the numbers are starting to come back..
We have had mange since the 80's but it was just in certain areas so i can't honestly say i put them on the decline.. We ran a no season on them for a few years and now there is a season on them again only thing is its too long...
Kirby can tell you about fox, they live in a 1x2 area and just run in circles. If a hunter misses one he just has to comeback another day and they will still be in same section alot easier to kill than a coyote..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tactical .20Truck hunting is what you do? Mange only a small part of it? We had very few coyotes when the mange wiped the fox out, it took more than 90% of them. Also, an article put out by MN DNR stated they lost 89% of the fox to the mange. With the fox gone, there was all this food and the coyotes expanded rapidly.

TA17rem, just what part of this do you not understand? Oh and good to know you are a professional road hunter. That explains A LOT!

Putting coyotes up that are worth about $10.00 to $15.00 each if you are lucky sounds like a real productive use for your time TA17roadhunter. Have fun with that.

I suspect you are one of the few, if not the only one, on this site that worries more about the tread on his tires than he does about keeping his batteries charged for his e-caller.

I spend less time finger painting than you do worrying about your spelling.
wink.gif

Back