Difference in .204, .223, or 22-250 sound level

hawkeye58

My grandson and I are starting to do some night calling. Now using Otter Creeks Lab Polonium K 5.56

Will there be any significant difference in sound level between a .204 Ruger, .223 or a 22-250 Remington?

Assuming close to same barrel length 16-18 inches.

Thanks
Chris

To my ears the difference between 204 and 223 is more tone related and not so much that one is louder then the other but my 22-250 is noticeably louder then either my 204 or 223.

Would think you will be able to say the bigger rounds are louder, just more gas, likely more muzzle pressure. I can tell a difference in my 223 with faster or slower powders. As in 4198 vs Varget.

I shoot a 17 Ackley Hornet, 17 Tactical, .204 Ruger, and a 22-250 Ackley Improved suppressed. And other than the 17 Ackley Hornet(very quite) I can’t really tell much difference in sound output.

It will surprise you. I've witnessed some results in the field that you wouldn't think to be normal. It has been my experience to "my ears" that the rounds with more pressure have actually been very pleasantly suppressed. The 22-250 has a very nice tone with the cans we are using, almost a hiss tone. Lastnight we killed another triple and my brother is using a shorter SRT Hurricane Ti, and man that thing is a wicked can for the the OAL. I usually reflect instantly after his shots and am very satisfied with the performance.

Back