Deer hunters-- ethics question

Quote:
I wouldnt ever expect a common sense aproach from any warden around here on a case like this,common sense is not so common any more.

same here! I wanted to felet some trout (in wyo) in the morning for an evening meal and talked to a warden and she said no way if you felet them you got to eat them freaking imiediantly! you barely have time to get the oil hot or they will ticket you!

The days of the good ole boy wardens are long gone around here,I remember when they wore cowboy hats and stopped to bs for a while,sharing game locations ect ect,now they look like they are trying out for the swat team and act like thier s*** dont stink.

Just the opposite here in Colorado, My cousin shot his first deer this year (a doe) and forgot to tag it immediatly. He had just started skinning it at camp (10 minutes later and a couple hundred yards from where he shot it)when the G&F wardens showed up. Now my cousin was in violation for not tagging his deer properly, but they could see how excited he and his dad were about everything and simply had him tag his deer, congratulated him, and wished the rest of us luck. That was a great gesture that made us all respect them more and we were all more aware of our actions for the rest of the hunt.

here you would have had the warden with a big smile on his face and a hunter with a ticket,a frown and and no deer.I happen to live in the area where they train all thier new wardens and the little fiends just cant wait to write somone up,they even have what they call "courtesy" citations /oxymoron/ for little things like leaving your fishing liscence at home,instead of verifying you have a liscence on thier lil computers they write you up and make you appear to prove you do have a liscence then they will drop the ticket,i asked a senior warden why they dont just run the computer check and he said it gives them experience in writing tickets....what a joke,the tax payers payed for that computer system and they refuse to use it unless its going to help them write tickets.

In reguard to NONYA's last four posts, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif. No such thing as common sense anymore.

I have heard local stories of hunters shooting wounded,sick, or infected animals that our conservation officers have no problem issuing a second tag if there is any doubt of meat quality, or preexisting injuries. Having said that I am trying to put myself in the other hunters shoes but having a hard time. Myself, and most of you guys I'm guessing, take pulling the trigger on an animal a bit more seriously than this cat. I don't pull the trigger unless I am 100% prepared to harvest an animal. Sounds like maybe buddy had a bit of ground shrinkage and didn't want to be done hunting. I've been in the field with people like him before, and it is no fun. It takes the respect away from the hunt, and yourself. I took my step brother out hunting for the first time this year and couldn't stress this enough. I told him the single most important thing in the hunt, was to be ethical. Even if it means passing up on trophies. You can always find another animal, but you can never change the fact that you harvested one in a less than sporting manner. My opinion is that you did the right thing. I've finished off wounded deer before, and will continue to do so.

In many areas like here there is no such thing as a second tag,if you finish off an animal here thats you deer for the year,and you better tag it before you do anything else.

Quote:
In many areas like here there is no such thing as a second tag,if you finish off an animal here thats you deer for the year,and you better tag it before you do anything else.

I feel sorry for you guys down there. I take our guys for granted I guess. We got two wardens for about a hundred mile radius. I play ball with one of them. They are the kind of guys that will come over to your house to bring you another tag if your animal is abcessed or something.

They are passing new legislation here right now to prevent you from getting replacment tags if you loose them because they asume EVERYONE that asks for replacment tags is doing somthing ILLEGAL,it is unbelievable how facist they have become since hunting turned into thier biggest cash crop here in MT.

I am friends with several wardens, and the law here is whoever kill's the animal it is there animal. Happened to us last year. My buddy shot a nice buck, but it was a little further back then he hoped and someone else killed it. It was there deer.

In most states it is against the law to shoot a big game animal and not tag it. In michigan the dnr would have ticketed him. They go buy who shot it first not best. It is his responsiblity to tag and take care of the animal.

Nonya,

Boy and I was actually thinking of coming out to Bozeman this year. It is another contact my girlfriend got for me thru her business.

Now I am thinking against it, sounds like you have some real "fill in the blank" wardens out there. I can understand keeping to the rules and all but there is no reason to act as if they are better than all the rest of the world.

Mike

You mean there are places in this world where they DONT think that? Congrats to you, if you have good ones! They seem to be few and far between.

Mike,if you hunt out here get the regs and LEARN them front to back,you have to be a lawyer to understand most of them due to how they are written, I have seen so many instances of tickets written over the slightest infraction over the past several years it makes a guy a nervous wreck trying to stay legal.The days of the warning for minor infractions are long gone.

Back