Deer carcasses

ny hunter

I got lucky and harvested two whitetail deer two weeks ago. I put the carcasses out the first night the yote took the capes and nothing but blue jays have been back. I know the dogs are there I can see them passing on my trail cams and there tracks in the snow, but they won’t come in to the pile. Should I move them or just wait it out?

IMG_6172.jpeg

Here’s a picture of the setup. I have a treestand but sit on the ground most of the time. The tracks and pictures my trail cams pick up always stop in the thick stuff along the logging roads. I have a spot down to the left that’s a little more open, I was thinking of moving the pile down there. The problem is it puts the wind on there trails.

There's just so many variables it's hard to say. I personally wouldn't move it because of your sent. Same reason I use a cell cam, so I don't have to go out there to swap cards. I don't like using cut up deer cause it's so easy for a coyote to carry them away and there's typically not a lot of meat left on the carcass. They're worth using to get a sight started (knowing it will likely immediately be drug away), but I prefer using a roadkill deer. Once they get it down to where they can drag it away, I'll just put a new one out. On good years I can usually get through my season (Mid-December-March) with 2-3 deer.

This year has truly been an anomaly for me. Been baiting coyotes with roadkill deer for over 10 years now and have had a lot of fun and success doing it. Never in all my years doing this have I had a carcass out with nothing coming in after a maximum of 2-3 weeks. This year I put out a fresh deer the middle of December like I always do. I have yet to have a coyote on it to date. I even started one in a new spot several weeks ago thinking they are educated to my spot, and nothing. First spot I had a few crows show up several times but that was it. I'm not even getting opossum or skunk on it. No hawks or eagles either (they, along with crows will usually get the bait sight going before the coyotes start hitting it). I'm at a loss. Every morning, I get up and check the Reveal app on my phone thinking this will be the night I had one finally coming in to the bait. On top of crumby calling conditions a lot of the times I can actually go, this season has definitely been a grind.

We have had very little snow cover. Coyote are not packed up, coyote don't need to key on the deer. With the thermal I see mice out at night in fields,brush, swamp edges. Inconsistent visits by one or 2 coyote. Now muddy fields, coyote don't need to travel and don't like muddy feet. I will say it has helped taking time to find new spots and permissions. At least for one or two coyote, than move on. Wish I could afford 10 cell cams.

I’ve killed 11 so far the 11th just fell tonight. I take a whole deer and make a slit through one of the hind legs like how you would do to put a game gambrel through each leg. Then put a chain through the hole and attach it back to itself. I’m amazed at how they just keep coming in. Almost got a double tonight.

View attachment 5437
Here’s a picture of the setup. I have a treestand but sit on the ground most of the time. The tracks and pictures my trail cams pick up always stop in the thick stuff along the logging roads. I have a spot down to the left that’s a little more open, I was thinking of moving the pile down there. The problem is it puts the wind on there trails.

One thing I’ve found and that you might try is to expose some of the meat. If you’re using a whole deer then try skinning a small area on one of the hind quarters. I had the same issue where they would come in to look but not stay long enough to get a shot. When I started doing it this way it seems to do much better now. Also, early season they are not as hungry but as the winter goes on and less game is available they will tend to get more aggressive on bait piles. Hopefully by now your seeing better results

Using road kill, I normally cut the hide up the back exposing some meat. Then cut the guts open for more scent. Don't take the eagles and crows long to find them. After the birds find it , the coyotes do as well.

Back