Decoys,,

The Decot heart and a feather on the string have been my favorits for some time now . i have had coyotes race to the decoy heart on more then one stand . There have been several times on hunts with friends that two or more coyotes come in to the decoy from better than a half mile out . The guys callin with me are amazed at the reaction . It has hooked more than a few people into the world of calling predators . I dont use a decy on every stand , but when the set calls for it , I think they are hard to beat . Jerry .

Originally posted by Critr Gitr:
OK, guys. For those of you who haven't already, meet
Fluffy,

What do you use to get Fluffy to move? I have a Weasel Ball, which I hear is similar to a Decoy Heart, but it doesn't seem to impart very much motion to my stuffed toy. Maybe I don't have it suspended right?

Good question. I was just wondering the same thing.

------------------
yotewalk.gif

If you aren't havin' fun, why bother doin' it?

I don't know about Critter Getter, here's how I get great action from my homemade Frankenrabbit I mentioned above. I use one of those little coiled door stop springs. You know, the little tornado or V shaped coil springs which are bigger in diameter on one end than the other. I pull and stretch the spring out a bit to enhance the ability of the decoy to flop around. As they come from the factory/store they're wound too tight. Once the spring is stretched a little, I hot glued the bigger end on the bottom of the Decoy Heart. The other small end is glued into the top of a turkey decoy stake. This stake is a two piece stake and hollow in the center. The small end of the spring fits very snug in the hollow, then hot glue plugs it in there solidly. This two piece stake allows for heigth adjustment in the field and the spring allows the rabbit hide and Decoy Heart to dance and shimmy around very realistically. The spring capitilizes on the occilating weight of the Decoy Heart and it's sitting atop it. Also, the rabbit hide has been shaped and a cut into strips on the backside. This makes for more motion as the strips have more freedom and ability to move. Frankenrabbit is basically the same principal as the decoy the maker of the Decoy Heart markets. That decoy is called the Predator Supreme. My only problem with the Predator Supreme decoy is two fold. One, the Predator Supreme decoy is fairly large in size. I prefer my decoy to be about rabbit size. Two, the stake is wooden. Shoving that into the frozen ground, rocks, root wads, ect... as I do would surely break it in short order. But the idea is sound, and Frankenrabbit works very well for me.

------------------
"Doing the Right thing isn't always easy, but it's always RIGHT!"

[This message has been edited by GC (edited 05-20-2001).]

OK, I'm yankin' your chain, guys.
biggrin.gif

Fluffy sits on a Moto-Magnet, sold to give feeding motion to turkey and goose decoys. I discarded the stake, and made a platform from a scrap of 2x4 and plywood.

View

------------------
Critr

LW42144.jpg

www.SaguaroSafaris.com

AzWill,

Actually I have 3 Airedales; my primary hunting partners. We have a working relationship; I call the cats and they tree them. Yeah, I correspond with J-H frequently when he isn't off working for Uncle Sam somewhere.

On the subject of using the flambeau lightweight fawn decoys. This is the one with the stake to support it. I shove the round decoy heart up into the neck and turn it on. This gives a wiggly motion back and forth to the fawn decoy. Should work great in the Michigan area once the underbrush looses its leaves.

And coyotes just LOVE those little white snacks, don't they, Buster!!!

------------------
Critr

3dflagsdotcom_usa2wl.gif

In remembrance of those who fought..... and especially those
who died for the freedoms so unique to our nation.

Hey guys,I've got a couple of turkey wings and a skinned out deer tail. Could I use either of these for a decoy. That was the main reason I skinned out the deers tail last year but wasn't sure if it would work.

Back