Coyote contest

parson

According the radio news the winners of the one day, two man tournament in Williston ND got 19 in day. The top 5 teams took more than 60

Originally Posted By: 204 ARWow. Wonder if it was legit, or cheating the system somehow?

Id imagine, they would be able to tell if they were at least somewhat fresh as opposed to frozen and thawed. That's a lot of dogs

I believe that's as many as has ever been killed at the world championships. So.... Take that for what it's worth. Actually, didn't Les take down 20 once? Which is obviously believable, because he's actually the real deal. Perhaps those guys in this contest just had a really good day.

Last edited:
The question that needs to be asked is "was it a coyote contest or a coyote "calling" contest. Many times pickups and 4-wheelers are used to drive big coulees with hunters posted at the top.

My cousin participated in this tournament.

He shot 1 coyote and it was a spot n stalk and said the dogs were not coming too his calls and that it was 60+ degrees out.

I remember one of our best days of calling years ago in South Dakota. We started off at sunrise with 2 coyotes taken with our first stand. A mid-morning stand ended up with another 3 coyotes. This had been one of those warm November days with some 40 degree temps, hence we headed back home because we needed to skin out and freeze the pelts from these coyotes.

We couldn't resist going out again that evening. The first stand brought in a coyote that we shot and we killed 2 more coyotes with our last stand at sundown.

We ended up shooting 8 coyotes that day, but we should have taken another 4 coyotes. That was a day we will never forget.

The winner of that Tourny is a member here aka getemclose... I've sold him a couple V.A.P.R's... Legit guys, they pry should give the world a go, killers for sure.

Originally Posted By: skinneyThe winner of that Tourny is a member here aka getemclose... I've sold him a couple V.A.P.R's... Legit guys, they pry should give the world a go, killers for sure.

He and his partner Marty? Those guys do stack them up!

According to Skinney, I might have to stand corrected. Marty and Mitch hunt some of the same country I do and they are good and have some different techniques. They will shoot over 200 coyotes a year.
However, if you get in 10 stands a day that means they shot almost 2 coyotes at every stand. I was hunting very close to where they were last week and shot 11 coyotes. I didn't have one double come in.

I killed 9 coyotes in the first two hours of daylight. Knew where a bunch were and snuck in quite and eliminated all of them. Satellited off of them and picked up more coyotes all day. Should have had 21. Messed up two. Not many coyotes around this season it seems just had to Get it on a few of the concentrated areas and kill everything. Seen 24. Top 5 teams took 60 the next 47 teams averaged one coyote per team, that gives you an jdea. Scouted hard and found them earlier in september. Tournaments these guys put on are top notch only reason we hunt them. No bullcrap flies. Very strict. I don't work gall or winter leaves time to win a few. It was a one day hunt.

Last edited:
Congratulations! I have friends who were in this year's tournament as well as the last few years. They always have a great time, never suspect cheating, and have much respect for the guys who seem to win the tournament each year. The winners sound like predator hunters we should admire and learn from!

Originally Posted By: ZAccording to Skinney, I might have to stand corrected. Marty and Mitch hunt some of the same country I do and they are good and have some different techniques. They will shoot over 200 coyotes a year.
However, if you get in 10 stands a day that means they shot almost 2 coyotes at every stand. I was hunting very close to where they were last week and shot 11 coyotes. I didn't have one double come in.

I don't know how they hunt but when we hunt contests we average 3 stands an hour. Tourney day to us is about as many stands as possible. If your gonna kill enough to win generally speaking your gonna do it with those coyotes that show up right away not the ones that take 45 minutes to commit. Contest last week I'D say we made 20 stands at least.

Originally Posted By: FairChase93Originally Posted By: ZAccording to Skinney, I might have to stand corrected. Marty and Mitch hunt some of the same country I do and they are good and have some different techniques. They will shoot over 200 coyotes a year.
That's hustling for me to get in 20 stands a day. Your stands must be close to one another. We are lucky to get in 16 a day.

I don't know how they hunt but when we hunt contests we average 3 stands an hour. Tourney day to us is about as many stands as possible. If your gonna kill enough to win generally speaking your gonna do it with those coyotes that show up right away not the ones that take 45 minutes to commit. Contest last week I'D say we made 20 stands at least.

Was it a North Dakota contest or a Montana/ND tourney?

I took an educated guess and told my cousin (Williston) most likely the winners/top teams were hunting in Eastern Montana.

This early in the year with so many pups around we don't move all that far depending on the property. Sometimes a half mile sometimes a quarter just depends. I also secure as many acres as possible as close together as possible and we hunt hard and fast. A wide majority of what we hunt is really rough country and to me that means you can make your stands closer together. We set the pick - up somewhere central and drive to and from stands with an atv if the contest allows. Unless a coyote is in sight 20 minutes is the max we stay on stand and often shorter. We also try and make stands where we don't have to walk a terrible distance from the atv. Maybe we don't do it right, we don't win a lot but we have done well for ourselves.

Of course the terrain and weather dictate a lot, when the snow is crotch deep we might only make 10. When my father in law is my partner he just can't handle the pace so we make less stands. Late in the year when the calling gets tougher we sit longer. Or if I partner up with someone that secures the land i hunt how they want. But when it's my brother in law and there's no snow we hunt hard and fast. Now he can't shoot worth a darn most times so perhaps we should slow down....

This is all moot really because to kill 19 in a day EVERYTHING has to go your way. We've never killed that many in a day. 3 or 4 really awesome stands early in the morning could put you on your way. I'd venture to guess a lot of those were young foolish coyotes!

Back