Coyote bedding areas

Nothing new to add, just a big +1 for rocky ledges that block the wind and catch the sun! Seen that here alot. And lately, I've had success (limited of course) mid-day in mature stands of hemlock or cedar near streams. I guess that's where I'd spend the day too. So another +1, I guess.

Called my way into that area today.
Tons of tracks , lots fresh but no response or sign of spooking them.
They may be smart to it so I moved on but hung a camera near by.
Did manage to call one out of a thick beaver swamp and I swear I heard it breaking ice in a few spots. Picked her out just in time to see her turn and leave with no shot.
Thinking she got my wind as it was swirling. Followed her tracks and she came right out of the thick stuff and right around the opening until she could see the decoy and then turned and just walked off. She was a couple seconds from being mine but that's how it goes.
Went balls deep in that swamp so she picked a good spot to lay for the day.

The one I called in was totally different area but finally got one to come in.
Calling here has been slow but they're moving.
Seems less tracks I see the more apt I am to call one in. I have come to try to call where I think they may be laying up VS trying a bunch of random sets like I used to.
Still seems they come in on sets I least expect it though.
Setup today had potential but I rushed it with the wind being all over.
Didn't have alot of cover and still had my sunglasses on...lol
Seeing one gives motivation for another bunch of sets though. Just like calling new spots and learning good or bad.
It's like anything , I like the hunt more than the kill but from what they do to our deer herd I just soon kill them all.

I just find the round spot that is melted in the snow. They ain't dumb. 2 feet inside from the brush line, in the timber is where the melted spot are. Also on tops of hills, inside the timber. They don't have a large den like the wolf G'mork in 'the never ending story!'
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 1badboyOriginally Posted By: NoName1Some very good points made by everyone that posted. I do disagree with this though "I'm going to call my way into it". My take on that is making multiple sets on the way to that spot? I would rather make one well executed and perfectly timed setup to max out the odds of a kill to the utmost extent versus the "haphazard stands on the way there because they can come from anywhere" guys. As swampwalker said, I would do the opposite. Instead of hunting your way to that spot, start there and if they aren't in that core area then hunt the other spots and try to catch them out and about.
I'm not saying you are wrong, just saying I would do it differently.
Honestly , that's a pretty ignorant statement considering you don't know the setup.
This isn't my first time out or first time in the area...
Just because I think I know where they're bedding doesn't mean I'm going to blow through a 3/4 of a mile of prime calling to get there with the chance I'll spook coyotes , that doesn't make any sense.
I've seen coyotes from the road until there so I make obvious stands to within ear shot otherwise you'll have spooked the coyotes you're trying to hunt without actually knowing where they are.
Like in the original post , I shot the first coyote in the first stand only seconds into the stand because he was messing around in the feild. Had I tried to go right to the bedding area I would have spooked that coyote and maybe many more.
If the area I want to hunt is a distance to get in I " call my way in " by making sets every 400 yards or so , so I don't bust anything out on the walk in.
Good way to educate coyotes if they see or smell.you going in and you setup and call.

Honestly, you aren't able to have a conversation about it and accept a different viewpoint from your own. You come on here asking questions and opinions, then get butt hurt when you get one that is different than from what you already have set in your own mind. I didn't say what you were doing was wrong, I just said that I disagree and would do it differently; and I can change that approach. You call every 400 yards for 3/4 of a mile and wonder why you didn't kill anything when you got there? I'd rather bump one just walking in 3/4 of a mile than educate them the whole way there. Better to have them just see and smell you walking by then seeing and smelling your setup 3 times before you get to the highest percentage kill zone in that 3/4 of a mile.

What's ignorant is this "Just because I think I know where they're bedding doesn't mean I'm going to blow through a 3/4 of a mile of prime calling to get there with the chance I'll spook coyotes , that doesn't make any sense." Why wouldn't you hunt the exact most likely spot for you to kill one first? That doesn't make sense to me just as what I said doesn't make sense to you. When you start killing them doing that come back and say how great your plan is and how ignorant other people are that are trying to help you and see it differently. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: NoName1Originally Posted By: 1badboyOriginally Posted By: NoName1Some very good points made by everyone that posted. I do disagree with this though "I'm going to call my way into it". My take on that is making multiple sets on the way to that spot? I would rather make one well executed and perfectly timed setup to max out the odds of a kill to the utmost extent versus the "haphazard stands on the way there because they can come from anywhere" guys. As swampwalker said, I would do the opposite. Instead of hunting your way to that spot, start there and if they aren't in that core area then hunt the other spots and try to catch them out and about.
I'm not saying you are wrong, just saying I would do it differently.
Honestly , that's a pretty ignorant statement considering you don't know the setup.
This isn't my first time out or first time in the area...
Just because I think I know where they're bedding doesn't mean I'm going to blow through a 3/4 of a mile of prime calling to get there with the chance I'll spook coyotes , that doesn't make any sense.
I've seen coyotes from the road until there so I make obvious stands to within ear shot otherwise you'll have spooked the coyotes you're trying to hunt without actually knowing where they are.
Like in the original post , I shot the first coyote in the first stand only seconds into the stand because he was messing around in the feild. Had I tried to go right to the bedding area I would have spooked that coyote and maybe many more.
If the area I want to hunt is a distance to get in I " call my way in " by making sets every 400 yards or so , so I don't bust anything out on the walk in.
Good way to educate coyotes if they see or smell.you going in and you setup and call.

Honestly, you aren't able to have a conversation about it and accept a different viewpoint from your own. You come on here asking questions and opinions, then get butt hurt when you get one that is different than from what you already have set in your own mind. I didn't say what you were doing was wrong, I just said that I disagree and would do it differently; and I can change that approach. You call every 400 yards for 3/4 of a mile and wonder why you didn't kill anything when you got there? I'd rather bump one just walking in 3/4 of a mile than educate them the whole way there. Better to have them just see and smell you walking by then seeing and smelling your setup 3 times before you get to the highest percentage kill zone in that 3/4 of a mile.

What's ignorant is this "Just because I think I know where they're bedding doesn't mean I'm going to blow through a 3/4 of a mile of prime calling to get there with the chance I'll spook coyotes , that doesn't make any sense." Why wouldn't you hunt the exact most likely spot for you to kill one first? That doesn't make sense to me just as what I said doesn't make sense to you. When you start killing them doing that come back and say how great your plan is and how ignorant other people are that are trying to help you and see it differently. Good luck.

Have you ever hunted or ever been to vermont ?
Your terrain is alot different than ours , so offering ways to hunt my area and "disagreeing" even though you most likely have never hunted anything close to what we have terrain is , in fact ignorant in my opinion...
Our calls don't carry more than a few hundred yards with snow in the trees , especially in deep swamps.
But thanks for giving me opinions and disagreeing on how to hunt a place who've never been.
If you were remotely close I you know what I'm talking about.

it is a whole lot easier to get them to come to you than it is to go to them. one may come walking by you here, but conditions had better be perfect if you are going to sneak in on one here. notice where I am from. I walk as little as possible. ever spook a single deer while still hunt'in, I guarantee it will be a while before you see another one, that deer will blow out several acres. hills, mountains, & hollers= different ball game.

Last edited:

You can get right up on them, if they're bedded in the right terrain. One hunt I went on this year, my buddy was sitting on the rock that a coyote was bedded under. He was literally sitting 6ft from the coyote. It popped up right next to him when the calling started.

Coyotes have been called Three out of the last five times In that one spot. It's about a mile hike up a ridge to get there. That same area you could probably do twenty random sets without seeing a thing. I have no idea why, but in ten years I've never seen a coyote track on the side of the ridge that I walk in on. I skip it now, even though there's still a chance something could get bumped, I take it, because I know there's higher percentage waiting after the hike.

The area that they bed there is a rocky hollow that's high on a mountain but protected from the wind. That's one type terrain I try look for while in the mountains.

Last edited:
That's fine, keep being a bad [beeep] know it all on the internet and have fun not killing coyotes bud. Have you hunted SC to know what my terrain and experience is here? Do you know what part of PA hills/mountains I hunt to know what my terrain and experience is there? Not likely, but coyotes are coyotes. If you think that even in thick cover and deep in a swamp that coyotes don't hear the call more than a couple hundred yards out then keep on keepin on with your setups that don't produce.

If I read it correctly, swampwalker is telling you the same thing...but again, you already have it set in your mind that you know what you're doing and don't want to hear anything but that. Have fun and good luck with that, but being close-minded and ignorant is not a way to get better at this game.

Killed a nice 35 pd female yesterday am by getting on the outskirts to another swamp where they were bedding. Had never been in this swamp before but was hearing alot of people were hearing them in this area.
Took her at 20 yards with the shotgun 20 minutes in with cottontail distress playing.

^ agreed. So you took tactics that didn't produce, turned it around without saying what you are doing differently so we could learn and killed 3 in 2 days? 2 of them are older smarter coyotes, but we don't get any more info than they were killed coming from cuts, that doesn't help other folks learn much. And said you don't know how to upload pics from your phone, yet you knew how in this post which was quite possibly from your phone:

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...505#Post2117505

Have fun with whatever retort you choose, but I for one am not coming back to this thread...nothing to learn here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NoName1^ agreed. So you took tactics that didn't produce, turned it around without saying what you are doing differently so we could learn and killed 3 in 2 days? 2 of them are older smarter coyotes, but we don't get any more info than they were killed coming from cuts, that doesn't help other folks learn much. And said you don't know how to upload pics from your phone, yet you knew how in this post which was quite possibly from your phone:

Have fun with whatever retort you choose, but I for one am not coming back to this thread...nothing to learn here. LOL that's funny

Originally Posted By: NoName1^ agreed. So you took tactics that didn't produce, turned it around without saying what you are doing differently so we could learn and killed 3 in 2 days? 2 of them are older smarter coyotes, but we don't get any more info than they were killed coming from cuts, that doesn't help other folks learn much. And said you don't know how to upload pics from your phone, yet you knew how in this post which was quite possibly from your phone:

Have fun with whatever retort you choose, but I for one am not coming back to this thread...nothing to learn here.

Wow ....Internet troll at its best huh ?
Actually , no I didn't post that from my phone as you call tell from the pics. 4 years ago (ya , you actually took the time to go that far back) I had a crappy flip phone I'm pretty sure.
I've uploaded pics to the site before , but all from photo bucket from desktop.
But thanks for the advice and helpful tips...
I'd be glad to do a few write ups and post pics if it were as easy as fb or other sites.
Or I'll share a link to upcoming articles.

And I actually got 4....
For those that actually have positive things to share and do care to see pictures (until I can figure out an easy way to put them on here).
There is pictures on the fb group : new england hunting group.
Feel free to join if you're from the new England area.
Some good guys on there.

Last edited:
Back