coydogs

Here is a pr I seen two Winters ago. The dark brown[male?] coyote is walking along the 1/2 mile fenceline. When I initially seen him through my spotter scope.

I thought "wolf" because of his size. It's mate[female?], in the fore ground appeared to be coyote. She was of average size. The dark brown was 1/3 again larger than the coyote.

The dark brown is roughly 150yrds or so beyond the balled-up coyote. I never seen either of them again. Look at his size compared to the fenceline.
d61320cd.jpg

The large coydog print above. I hunted my area over 40yrs. Never seen a brown coyote until I seen him. As well as seeing brown/grey coyotes the following yrs. I suspect they were it's off-spring. One of those off-spring was very large. I est around 50 lbs or so. Of course my rifle malfunctioned the day I had a decent shot on it. Figures.

Another view. Dark brown is around 150yrds beyond the balled-up coyote. Dark brown looked coyote to me. What a brute.
c29efd36.jpg

bf0e754a.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah they both were eyeing me, long before I actually seen them. This section was quite flat. They were but specks with the naked eye, specfically the female. That brown was huge. I actually seen him 1st, because of his size.

The brown looked coyote to me, but was one of the largest I ever seen. Can't prove it of course. But perhaps it was an off-spring of the large brown coydog. Which once lurked about 15 miles to the West/SouWest.

Most coyotes I ever see, are already eyeing me from long range. They don't miss much.

No, I have a 60x spotter scope. Pics were taken with my 10meg camera [only]. Camera has 18x optical, 128x digital zoom lens.

I would've tried for that brown, but that field was covered in glaze ice[very loud]. I'd never got close for a decent shot. To bad as he was a trophy IMB.

Got that right, I enjoy trapping or shooting a real huge one, knowing he was top dog. I have a cheap 500mm for my 35 mm camera. Never use it any more. I should bring it in the truck if I get out this winter, if I don't move to WY. Pictures are nice, reminds me of my favorite pastime! And looks so cool compared to this hot horrible weather, bet it is hotter there than here.

Yup pics are great for recalling. As the yrs roll by, my memory isn't cutting it anymore.

Last time I seen that large brown coydog in my hunt area. I was slowly walking a 2 track lane, back into his 2x2 mile main section. With my rifle & camera around my neck. I slowly topped a rise & scanned 180. At my 2:00 there he stood froze broadside, around 250yrds away. Looking my way.

We both seen each other the same moment. I thought get a pic, no shoot, no get a pic. Well, I went for the shot. Canine was broadside behind a thick bush. I could see his rump & his head on the opposing ends of the bush. I quickly nealt down, aimed mid chest & shot. Coydog remained froze the whole time.

Bullet hit one of the branches, he bolted hard up an opposing hill. I figured killing him I could get all the pics I wanted. Of course murphy was against me. I regret now, not taking the pic, instead of the shot. He was an awesome looking animal.

Next time? if ever, the pic will come 1st, incase I do miss.

I realize all of this talk about coydogs, seems far fetched. Honestly, I can't really say what these canines are. But one thing I do know, is they are not all coyote. I have no clue where any of them came from. Other than speculating. Which isn't necessarily fact.

If I were reading this from another hunter, I didn't know. I personally would find it all to hard to believe.

Over the yrs. I seen 3 different hybrids in my hunt area. Each one looked different, not to mention completely different colored from any coyote I ever seen. One thing they all had in common was, they were all large. I also don't believe any of them were closely related. As these sightings happened over a long time span.

I recall seeing two other canines long range. I couldn't clearly I.D. either. But they were both very large. To large to be a coyote, that I do know. One, was the size of a small wolf, maybe 75 lbs or so. But looked all coyote in appearance & typical mousy grey color.

Best speculation I can come up with. Is these various odd canines. Were either bred in captivity & turned loose. Or a feral dog hooked up with a coyote. Both scenarios seem slim, but they came from somewhere, somehow.

Here is a 50 lb male coyote I killed Winter of 81. It's face had a dark bluish mask, surrounded by white fur. On the outer edge of the dark mask, was a dark blue/purple ring of fur. I've never seen such a color. Although this coyote looked all coyote. I've always wondered where that blue/purple come from.
69c0567c.jpg

Originally Posted By: kirbyHere is a 50 lb male coyote I killed Winter of 81. It's face had a dark bluish mask, surrounded by white fur. On the outer edge of the dark mask, was a dark blue/purple ring of fur. I've never seen such a color. Although this coyote looked all coyote. I've always wondered where that blue/purple come from.
69c0567c.jpg

thats a nice yote for sure!

Stout! I think my heaviest was about 45lbs, on the Little Sioux river. I saw a running track on the end rows of a cornfield where I lost my keys one winter. The next spring I went out to see if I could find my keys, no luck, but saw a running track that was oblong not round, it was about 4" long, maybe a small wolf?

Here is a coydog male I killed in my first year of hunting coyotes. He weighed 44 lbs. and appeared to be crossed with a farm shepherd or some such breed. When I called him in, I thought he was just another coyote, judging by his actions and his movement.

CoydogMount-psp.jpg

Interesting canine, Al. How many hybrids you ever seen in your life time? I've seen a couple other hybrids on the internet. That looked almost identical to yours. Odd, very odd.

Yrs ago, Dad also told me one day he & Larry went hunting. That day they seen a coyote & Lab running together[Winter time]. This happened in an adjoining county. Which in yrs past, had many roaming groups of feral dogs.

Kirby, I have seen two or three over the years that I could definitely identify as being coydogs. One looked to be a cross between a coyote and a Great Dane, but he moved like a coyote and had a tail like a coyote. He was a big rascal. Never could get a shot at him but tried to several times. The other looked like a cross between a coyote and a Gorky. Again, he moved like a coyote and had a typical coyote tail. He was a pet, belonging to a man I used to play golf with.

Back