Colorado Wildlife Commission to ban Varmint hunting

April 28 the Colorado Attorney General send a letter to DOW in it he cited what a live target was according to Colorado law and a PD isn't one of them . You can pull up the minutes from that meeting and that letter is the last item and it spells out flaws in petitioner legal analysis.

They wanted the ban based on shooting pd as live targets. And I'm sure if DOW did past the ban the state would of sued and I think that letter was the warning to DOW. It was interesting reading that letter and I never knew Co had so many laws on the books as to what a PD is and how to control it. I sure learned alot.

Don't eat blue rock targets. They will bind you up worse then a pound of sharp chedder. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sorry for the late congrats, I saw the news, but access to the computer at work is limited, at best. My thanks for everyone that was able to take the time and go to the meeting! I wish I was there.

I hope that these Guardians are speaking with forked tongue, when they claim the Black Tailed prairie dog only lives on 1 to 2% of it's historic range. If that's true they will win. I for one hope that's BS. You Colorado boys keep up the fight.

The huggers love to distort and manipulate facts. The "historic range" they constantly refer to is based on early 1800's geographical data. The reduction of that "historic range" is due to the expansion of civilization during the last 200 years. It has absolutely nothing to do with shooting or poisoning them. Even 2% amounts to hundreds of millions of acres of undeveloped land. And the little rats continue to expand their colonies. They are becoming as common as pigeons in some cities.

OK guys, we are "snoozing".

I've been talking to people from other hunting groups and consistently they think that in Colorado we may not get a majority of voters to pass a similar "2/3 majority game law requirement" as Utah passed 10 years ago. The feeling is that in Colorado that time has come and gone and that trying to get the initiative on the ballot may cause more harm than good.

Thoughts? Comments? Homework?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I'm afraid that the dark red "pioneer blood" of native Coloradoan’s has been irreversibly diluted by the pink and lavender plasma of east coasters and left coasters. The classic rugged individualism of the west has been supplanted by metro-sexuals and Gen-X'ers.

Quote:
I'm afraid that the dark red "pioneer blood" of native Coloradoan’s has been irreversibly diluted by the pink and lavender plasma of east coasters and left coasters. The classic rugged individualism of the west has been supplanted by metro-sexuals and Gen-X'ers.

Hey now! I'm a Gen-X'er and I AIN'T no metro-sexual, trust me, lol!

NASA Our resident elderly metro sexural. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Shal I bring the picture back up? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hey, I'm not "elderly", but this beat up body I've been using sure is! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Ok I was wrong by calling you "elderly" We shall call it "accelerated ageing"
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

You know what they say the first to go is right? The eyes. You may find that there isn't many 30 yards shots up in Medicine Bow. If you feel you can not do that new AR justice I will be there to shoot it for you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:
Found this on the NoDak site.

Badlands ferrets hit by plague
Associated Press
Published Sunday, May 25, 2008

RAPID CITY, S.D. – Sylvatic plague that’s been confirmed in prairie dogs likely has infected some of the endangered black-footed ferrets in southwest South Dakota, a U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service official said.

The plague was confirmed last week in Conata Basin just south of Badlands National Park.

Wildlife experts haven’t been able to survey the area yet for evidence of plague in ferrets, said Fish and Wildlife biologist Scott Larson of Pierre.

“We kind of suspect, if past history at other sites shows, once you are able to see those dead prairie dogs on the surface, the ferrets probably have already been infected in that area. I almost hate to say that,” Larson said.

Plague wiped out black-footed ferret populations at three reintroduction sites in Montana, Larson said.

Ferrets get plague much like prairie dogs, Larson said. They can get it from fleas that carry the disease or by eating dead prairie dogs infected with plague. They can also catch it from each other through coughing and sneezing. Prairie dogs are the main source of food for ferrets.

“We kind of suspect that’s how the big die-offs occur,” Larson said.

The federal government has spent millions of dollars on the ferret recovery program. Once believed to be extinct, a small colony of black-footed ferrets was found in western Wyoming in the 1980s. The ferret reintroduction in Conata Basin began in the mid-1990s.

The ferret population in the basin had climbed to nearly 300 by the end of last year, the largest in the world.

Wildlife experts have called Conata Basin the most successful ferret reintroduction site in the world, largely because plague had seemed to stay out of South Dakota.

Fish & Wildlife Service officials say trapping and relocating the ferrets is an option but not a good option this time of year because females are either pregnant or recently gave birth. Also, ferrets are not very active above ground in the spring, said Randy Griebel, another FWS biologist.

“They can be hard to get,” Larson said. “Because we’ve got active plague, we would need to quarantine them somewhere. There would be a lot of issues, but they are not necessarily insurmountable.”

The most likely first response will be to dust prairie dog burrows with a pesticide that kills fleas, Larson said.

Quote:
The most likely first response will be to dust prairie dog burrows

Agreed. I myself, plan to do my part and go dust a few hundred prairie dogs this weekend. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Quote:
You know what they say the first to go is right? The eyes. You may find that there isn't many 30 yards shots up in Medicine Bow. If you feel you can not do that new AR justice I will be there to shoot it for you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The second thing to go was my memory and I cannot remember what the first was.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quote:
My view is that we have a two stage problem here.

Of course the first action is to stop this potential ban on varmint shooting. It's crazy.

Win, lose or draw, the second action, and maybe the most important action is, "how the [beeep] did we get tree-huggers on the DOW board"? We MUST get this corrected. My assumption is that the commissioners are appointees of the Governor. If so, we need to bring an insurmountable amount of pressure to bear on that office.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif

I hate to say this but antis have infiltrated the USF&WS, US Forest Svc and many state dept of wildlife, conservation and such and it is affecting our rights at every echelon. With the multi numbers of hunters, Res/Nonres alike, that pour dollars into our state the MT fish and wildlife tend to sway in their favor many, many times.

I am still new here and in Colorado. Next time something like this comes up, let me know and I might be able to reach out to my horse owner and breeding friends and see what I can get as far as support.

When I was off-season from showing my horse as a teenager, and wanted to take him full-bore across fields to race my friends horses, my biggest fear wasn't falling off while riding bareback, or anything else other than having him step in a prairie dog hole. To this day that is still a nightmare for anyone with a horse.

It is so obvious that prairie dogs are not "endangered", they breed at least as well as rabbits and take over land like crazy.

I also understand what some of you guys were talking about with "image problems". We go through the same things with show horses with a few making the whole endeavor look bad. We have many fights as well as productive discussions concerning that. I have been involved with my hobby (showing horses) for 35 years, and have had to deal with the PETA types many times. On the other hand, I am also involved with a horse rescue group that has no PETA in them at all, they just want to re-home horses that are still useful instead of letting foreign-owned companies take them over the boarders to end up on Euro-trash dinner plates. So not all people that are involved with animal "welfare" are terrible, you just have to know if they are honest and what their true intentions and end-goals are. Having said that, many are wacko jobs which is why I had never been involved with a rescue group of any kind until 2 years ago, and I did quite of bit of research before getting involved to make sure. (Any of you guys that pack in for hunting, let me know, maybe we can re-home some horses and serve you well too).

Anyway, back on point, congrats on taking on these people and being able to beat them back with nothing other than obvious facts. I have enough issues with what moles are doing to my property, if prairie dogs started running in I would be out there shooting in a second! It is my property and I should be able to manage it as I please, IMHO.

Quote:

It is my property and I should be able to manage it as I please, IMHO.

After Obama is elected you will have to change your mind set. Just imagine going to jail for shooting someone who invaded your home and intend to harm you or your children. He has voted to prosecute anyone using a firearm to defend themselves during a break and enter of a home while trying to protect your property.

He is all but elected too! SAD

Quote:
Quote:

It is my property and I should be able to manage it as I please, IMHO.

After Obama is elected you will have to change your mind set. Just imagine going to jail for shooting someone who invaded your home and intend to harm you or your children. He has voted to prosecute anyone using a firearm to defend themselves during a break and enter of a home while trying to protect your property.

He is all but elected too! SAD

Maybe that comes from his experiences breaking into homes to pay for his drugs when he was young.

Back