Color Phases

hunt0168

The “Black Coyote” thread got me thinking, and I’m wondering what other color phases some of you guys have taken? I personally have taken about every shade of your basic brownish, grayish regular old color coyote. I’ve taken one blonde coyote. Sadly it isn’t the best pic in the world

Years ago I had 2 encounters with the prettiest red phase coyote ever! Unfortunately both times I was bowhunting and no shot opportunity presented itself. The thing looked like a big Red fox. And a bright red fox, not the pale rusty red. Never saw it while calling. Haunts me to this day! Lol.

I’d love to see some pics of your not so ordinary coyotes.

I got a fairly silver one a couple weeks ago.

Attachments

• IMG_7001.jpeg
    IMG_7001.jpeg
    210.1 KB · Views: 37
I personally love the silvers. Killed a few here in Oregon. Never killed a black one per se, but I did shoot one of my biggest dogs to date, an old 35# male that was super dark. We went back and forth over three weekends before I finally was able to out smart him. I always knew he'd be back since they're territorial.

Most of them are blond in my state and on my property. I haven’t seen jet black one yet but I’ve seen many of them dead when they used to be deer registration stations playing with deer...and I’m talking solid black.

Not going to lie, a quick glance at that first picture and I thought that was someone’s dog haha. That’s a sweet looking coyote.

Looks to be definitely mixed with a domesticated dog...There's no way that is 100% coyote...
Couldn't tell ya what the true genetics of were. It was the first one like that I killed in over 20 years and hundreds of coyotes. Structurally (skull, teeth, feet) it point to coyote, but who knows what is floating around in coyote genetics. I would not be surprised to find canine DNA in the genome of quite a few coyotes. I will say it was a surprise when we walked up on him, through thermal they all look the same, lol. Here is one that is kind of similar .

Back