CCI primers have a special place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014are you touching them with your fingers first cause I've heard they get contaminated from finger grease.

I read somewhere that a bunch of old wives got together one time and came up with a bunch of tales.
Seems like that was one of them.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanI am thinking that there may be a possibility that you set the shoulders back too far.

Don't you think I would have a light primer strike if that was the case.The primer is well hit.

Originally Posted By: Smackem223Originally Posted By: ackleymanI am thinking that there may be a possibility that you set the shoulders back too far.

Don't you think I would have a light primer strike if that was the case.The primer is well hit.

But not well enough. The imprint can appear to be deep enough, but if the anvil isn't driven into the priming compound, there is no ignition. It is not the CCI primers. Especially seeing how they misfired in 2 separate firearms, that leads me to believe that the shoulders were too far back.

Originally Posted By: Smackem223I'll try seating the primers back a little and see what happens.

take your calipers and open them up and use the little stem thing on the end and push that down until the calipers close and see what your reading is. I have it written down but I think. 4thousandths is what you want. I know some of my lake city brass when I prime on the press I have to give it a good shove to seat them all the way until the compounds pressed.

One manual I read said that 3-5 thousandths below flush was ideal. I have a book on m1/m14 rifles and I believe the spec was flush to 8 thousandths below. I've measured some that were seated far deeper than that 8 thousandths for my Garand, m14, and ar and they had no issues. So I'm thinking that's probably not the issue. Still not sure what gun the op is using.

I don't see what benefit seating the primers back would have unless they are seated so deeply that they are crushed and causing erratic performance.

Another here that has used CCI-200, and CCI-250 primers for years and never had a misfire except for 1 gun. That particular gun was a brand new Ruger 77RL that would misfire any ammo weather it was factory or reloads with various brand primers. Had other problems with that gun also, plus didn't shoot for s***, worse piece of junk I ever owned, didn't take long before it was gone!
Anything can happen, but I'm with the others on saying there's a good chance it's not the primers.

I have bought primers that were 20+ years old, stored in an out building subject to weather that would have mis fires.

CCI has one of the best QC depts. in the business.

I would bet a dollar to a dime that the shoulders are pushed back to far ... I would like to see some pictures of the ones that fired and the ones that didn't !

Originally Posted By: Smackem223Originally Posted By: ackleymanI am thinking that there may be a possibility that you set the shoulders back too far.

That would be the most likely reason for a light primer strike.
What's your comparator measurements on a fired case and a sized case?

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014I have to give it a good shove to seat them all the way until the compounds pressed.

What do you mean "compounds pressed" ?

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: ohihunter2014I have to give it a good shove to seat them all the way until the compounds pressed.

hey ohi that's wrong

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: ohihunter2014I have to give it a good shove to seat them all the way until the compounds pressed.

if the primer isn't seated all the way the priming compound isn't compressed. I was on my phone and auto correct got me.

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014

if the primer isn't seated all the way the priming compound isn't compressed. I was on my phone and auto correct got me.

hey ohi that's wrong

Last edited:
Will echo some others here and says it's not the primers.

1. Headspace (my vote)

or

2. Primer seating depth (if repeated attempts still failed to fire, then see #1 )

or

3. Combination of 1 & 2

Have shot CCI primers half of forever, never had a misfire that was caused by the primer. It's always been one of the two above.

Pull a bullet or two, seat them out to jam into the lands fairly hard, try again. This may be your only 'fix'. Get a 'headspace comparator' to check your sized vs fired headspace (specific to THIS rifle.) Adjust your die to just bump the shoulder. Record these numbers (specific to THIS rifle).

Obviously, since you've reloaded for this rifle before, something has changed, and I don't think it's just a primer brand. Different die set up, perhaps?

Please keep us posted on any developments so that we can all learn. Keeping an open mind to 'WTH is going on here and why?' is almost always more beneficial than categorically stating that a component is bad without any testing. Please take that in the sense that it's given, which is to try and get to the bottom of the issue. No hidden agenda here.

Rich

Last edited:
The priming compound needs to be compressed or touching the anvil when it's seated or won't go off hence why if it's not seated all the way it won't fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back