Cav Arms lower trigger options

cmatera

I have a Cavalry Arms polymer lower and am planning on doing an ultra light AR build. Will an aftermarket trigger work in these or do I need to use the stock one from the LPK and get it tuned?

Although I have never tried one in mine, I don't see why an aftermarket trigger wouldn't work. Internally the dimensions are the same as any other lower, as far as I know.

If I get a chance I'll take a quick look when I go home for lunch.

Last edited:
Thank you. I'd really like to just drop a Timney in as I prefer single stage triggers, but don't know if it will work. I think you need to use their spring/buffer tube and didn't know if the trigger was special too.

The cavity where the fire control group sits on the Cav is dimensionally the same to a regular lower in depth and width, and may be just a little longer to clarify, it's not longer, but the squared off edged as opposed to rounded corners actually make for slightly more internal space than a standard lower - so I don't see any reason you couldn't drop a box type trigger like the Timney in it..

I took a photo just for the heck of it, side by side with a Doubelestar lower, which is identical to 3 other brands I checked while I was at it. The Cav is on the bottom..
cav-fcg.jpg

By the way, the buffer tube on the Cav lower is built into the stock. You only have to use a standard carbine buffer and spring. Since it has no separate buffer tube, the buffer retainer is held in by a roll pin (visible in the photo above).

Other than that the safety detent and spring are installed differently - from the top - and the take downs pins are different.

Last edited:
Thank a lot. That's exactly what I needed to know. I was worried it would be an all weird setup. The roll pin holding the buffer retainer & safety detent are obvious due to the one piece construction. Once I figure out the safety detent & spring install, I should be good to go. I did know the takedown pins were special & go in the opposite way. Now I know it's not a big deal though.-carl

The safety detent and spring are held in place by the grip. So if you proceed to take off the grip, do so slowly so the print and detent don't get lost...

Originally Posted By: sluggerThe safety detent and spring are held in place by the grip. So if you proceed to take off the grip, do so slowly so the print and detent don't get lost...

On a normal lower that is absolutely correct, but on the Cav lower the grip is not removable. The safety spring, then the detent have to be installed from the top. You simply have to depress them and push the safety over them to get it to snap in place.

It's not real difficult to pop back out either.

Last edited:
Back