Calling wild pigs

Welcome to PM! Do a search (upper right hand corner of this page) Hog Zombies-Youtube and you'll find all you ever wanted to know about hogs. Here is a link to some of Glen's videos. You might like his video about three lines above your post about field dressing hogs. He da man when it comes to hogs.

Glenn Guess: Calling Hogs

Does anyone have any luck calling in wild pigs?
I have successfully used Glenn's calls to call in a few hogs over the last several years. I haven't figured out any particular call or calling pattern but it does work sometimes. All of my calling has been done at night so I cannot speak for day calling results.

I can say when it works it's worth the effort. I have had a few come in hot across long distances in open fields and it gets your adrenaline up watching a hog headed straight for you from far off. I have also had some come in real close in the woods.

It seems they will try to come in downwind of the caller sometimes and if your caller is not very far out it gets interesting. I have had a couple of large hogs bust out of thick foliage at 15 yards or so and one was a large sow that was doing some vocalizing very close to me in some thick high grass. She was about 15 yards away and it was so thick I could not see her in my thermal and when she finally poked her head out I got a 6.8 round in her. Hearing her that close in the dark was one I won't forget.

If you are going to try calIing I recommend using the Glenn Guess calls since he has proven their viability in the field. They are available in the Convergent Hunting App and they also sell the Convergent Bullet caller which has worked well for me.

You might want to watch some "Hog Zombies" vids on YouTube.

I have successfully used Glenn's calls to call in a few hogs over the last several years. I haven't figured out any particular call or calling pattern but it does work sometimes. All of my calling has been done at night so I cannot speak for day calling results.

I can say when it works it's worth the effort. I have had a few come in hot across long distances in open fields and it gets your adrenaline up watching a hog headed straight for you from far off. I have also had some come in real close in the woods.

It seems they will try to come in downwind of the caller sometimes and if your caller is not very far out it gets interesting. I have had a couple of large hogs bust out of thick foliage at 15 yards or so and one was a large sow that was doing some vocalizing very close to me in some thick high grass. She was about 15 yards away and it was so thick I could not see her in my thermal and when she finally poked her head out I got a 6.8 round in her. Hearing her that close in the dark was one I won't forget.

If you are going to try calIing I recommend using the Glenn Guess calls since he has proven their viability in the field. They are available in the Convergent Hunting App and they also sell the Convergent Bullet caller which has worked well for me.

Sounds awesome!

I was just hoping to start a discussion on here because I didn't find any info using the search feature
Because you had no idea what to type into the search engine. Try typing in Glenn Guess and you'll get 10-12 pages of articles/links to his articles, etc.

I was surprised last month, IR hunting. A hog walked past the feeder, I did my version of a mouth grunt, kinda a low hugh? and it stopped, turned to look at the sound 100 yds away. I'm in a popup. It turned sideways for the shot. You never know what interests them.

Believe it or not I’ve used an App on my phone to call in 3 different pigs during daylight. Sorta creates a pucker factor when your phone is playing angry hogs sounds in your pocket and one comes trotting straight to you from 40yds away, lol. Head on shots with 3” 00Buck works every time, lol.

I have never specifically called for hogs or used hog sounds. I did call a hog once while hand-calling for coyotes with a raspy jackrabbit call. It was a mid-size boar and he came in agitated and fast. He messed up when he paused for a look-see and got a 62 gr. Fusion behind the ear. Rather than rely on "the blind hog finds the acorn" I should probably investigate Glenn's sounds and techniques using actual hog sounds.

I should probably investigate Glenn's sounds and techniques using actual hog sounds.
Yes, you sure should. Glenn and Michelle seem to savvy that pig talk. Not only does he call 'em in, Michelle shoots them and he calls them back......three times on one video!

ETA: See if you can find the video entitled Michelle Shoots Called Hogs, or something like that, unreal!

Found it:

My success rate is really low but, as stated above, when it works they come charging in so don’t be down wind.

My favorite in order are
• Sow Hysteria
• Vampigra
• The Rally

If you are patient and wanna work known boar in an area
• She’s mine (great for solo boars)
• Total Chaos
Boar sounds could be used in a Halloween theme house it’s so disturbing.

Dense brush or wooded area. Just like coyotes play low and a few minutes at first. Turn up play a little longer. No more than 15-20 minute sets. But my experience of it works you’ll hear them moving in, in the first 5-7 minutes.

Big open fields. Play louder and longer sets. You’ll typically see one sow come running in hard. If a group is with her they will also come charging through the field.
Don’t be afraid to play too loud on windy days in open field.

Watch your 6:00 if hunting with wind in the face. Trust me it gets sketchy really quick.

I’d advice hunting with caller at your 3:00 or 9:00. If thermal hunting at night. I never put my back to the woods but will stand out in the open field. They do see me but there pretty locked on to caller.

The only thing I really dislike is I can’t put the Convergent Caller more than 35-40 yards without it breaking Bluetooth connection. I’d prefer to have it at minimal 75-125 yards out for hogs.

The only thing I really dislike is I can’t put the Convergent Caller more than 35-40 yards without it breaking Bluetooth connection. I’d prefer to have it at minimal 75-125 yards out for hogs.

Good info in your post, especially the Bluetooth range issue. No doubt the lack of range with the Convergent Bluetooth is probably the biggest reason you end up with hogs in close, especially in thick foliage. It has happened to me several times.

All of my calling has been at night and It seems to me that if the terrain is open they will rely on their eyesight and come in hot or if you are calling in thick cover they like to make a slower downwind approach to analyze the situation with their nose.

Last edited:
You mentioned eyesight…our hogs are about as blind as they come. I can sneak across an open field to within bow range on a hog during daylight hours with slow deliberate movements. Throw in night hunting and you can sneak in too close. I’ve gotten with 5 yards before just to see if I could…not my smartest decision, lol.

Now their nose is better than a coyotes, and their hearing isn’t too far behind. The click of the safety at 100 yards will have every pig in the sounder raising their heads looking your direction. And again, if they catch one molecule of your scent, there is NO hesitation, they bolt!

You mentioned eyesight…our hogs are about as blind as they come.

Yes. I see that most hunters have the opinion that hogs have poor eyesight. I think they might just not be looking out at a distance but are more focused on looking for food sources on the ground.

I found this and I think they see better than they most think........

Contrary to what some ill-informed articles would make you believe, wild hogs aren’t blind. They have excellent vision. Unlike human beings, they have monocular vision (independently focusing each eye on different things). This type of vision gives them a significant advantage when spotting food, danger, or prey, but it lacks depth perception. The result is wild hogs see movement 100 yards away but often don’t react because they do not detect it as an immediate danger, but any nearby action or even shadows will send them fleeing.

I have seen them run wide open through the woods in pitch black dark dodging trees the whole time. They must be able to see pretty good at night also.

Last edited:
I have heard that bit about hogs having poor vision also. That has not been my experience. My son was bowhunting deer from a climbing treestand about 18' off the ground when a lone boar came rooting through the woods. When my son eased his bow off the tree hook and slowly turned on the climber platform that boar picked him off from 40 yards out just like a spooky old whitetail buck might do. I have had them spot me sitting on the ground in the woods from 50-60 yards out just about like a deer might do. Our Ozark hogs see well enough here in the heavy timber to manage themselves pretty well. Maybe not always as good as a deer but well enough I don't take their eyesight for granted.

Different hogs I guess, I’m not saying ours are blind, but if I can defeat his nose and ears, I’ve got a dead pig. The issue I run into is how close is too close with a bow? They aren’t exactly the friendliest of critters as it is, so punching one through both lungs still leaves enough air to do some damage. When on the deck, after the shot I don’t move a muscle. I’m not giving them something to chase, lol.
I have had hogs come through 2 plus hours after I’ve walked in to my stand and cut my trail and turn tail and bolt. That nose could find the proverbial needle in a haystack.

Throw in night hunting and you can sneak in too close. I’ve gotten with 5 yards before just to see if I could…not my smartest decision, lol.
:ROFLMAO:
Know that feeling! One night coming in to camp, we spotted a good size boar at a cattle trough in a trap pasture holding a few cattle. There was a corral which shared a fence with the trap and the trough was no more than 15-20 ft from that fence. It was getting really dark fast, but I figured I could stalk to the (hogwire) fence through the corral, as the wind was perfect. Would have to poke the AR barrel through the fence as I would not be able to see the wire in the very poor light.
I made it to the fence without spooking the hog and was trying to get a safe shot with all the cattle in the trap with the hog and in the dark, concentrating on the hog, I had completely overlooked the open gate about 10' to my left, when something behind him spooked the hog and he ran straight toward me, I thought. Realizing we were both on the same side of the fence really got the old heart rate up :eek:! I cranked off a quick round as he passed way too close for comfort. Can't claim good shooting, but I'll take good luck any day.

1710354761476.jpeg

our hogs are about as blind as they come. -- nope. Tues nite I watched one walk through heavy tree/thicket. Stopped at the edge of the field, looked at field and turn to stroll through the thicket on the field edge. Had about a second to ID and shoot- lost in shrubs so didn't try. Month ago I shot one, same field, it went walking in circles for couple min and I gave up. Not going in there in the night.

Back