Calling Tactics and Sounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,
This thread has really picked up since I got back. It was a really good idea ya'll had. Keep up the good info. May turn out to be one of the most useful threads on the site. If we can just get more of the new guys to find it and the old hands to jump in!!

OK so would a good way to go be to have a tape with "confidence" sounds on it, and back that up with hand calls?

I have put together a thirty minute tape with some of the confidence sounds mentioned and a flock of quail, and I will suppliment that will calls appropriate to the stand, prey available, and weather conditions... I am still usin' a borrowed gun an e-caller is not in the budget, yet! Is this a good idea?

Y'all mentioned a woodpecker as a confidence bird... which kind, I have found sounds from over twenty-five types of them... we have pileated and downy woodpeckers here that I know of, but which is the one you guys were referring to?

Thanx again for all your help... if anyone needs to know about rockclimbing I know that real good... but I am about the greenest hunter out there.

Jeff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Krustyklimber,
Please don't let all of this information confuse you. You don't have to be a scientist or a biologist in order to call critters. If you know that there are coyotes in your area, you can still sneak out there with wind in your face, put your back against a tree or bush, blow on a predator call and some predators will come. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jimmie,
You can not find a swamp rabbit call? How in heck are you gonna keep your sounds NATURAL then? LOL. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Roadkill,
Ed Sceery sells a snowshoe hare call but if you can't find one, don't dispair. A grown cottontail or a young jackrabbit call will work just fine for you.

Thanks Rich,

I do tend to WAY overthink things... that is why my brother (Redrider) calls me Mr. Ridiculous! LOL

But I think that is what i'll like about predator hunting it is "mentally intense", I like things that challenge me to think "outside the box".

It has been real cool of you guys o help us out like this, a huge thanks is in order.

May the wind always be in your face, and the critters comin'!!!

Krusty, you'll find that many woodpeckers have a similar sound no matter the location or species. The ones most available on tape are the yellow hammer and flicker. I'm sure there are species in your area that sound similar or the same.They are more a prey sound than a confidence sound. Confidence sounds are Hawks and Crows, I think you could add jays to the list of confidence birds as well. I tend to draw them by the dozen in good areas.

I too know about keeping within the budget. It has taken me many years to accumulate the sounds and calls I have. The calls I started out with were six bucks apiece at the time. A burnham Bros long range and a JS pc3. They are still inexpensive and there isn't a thing out there that the begginer can't call with these two calls.There aren't many sounds that you can't duplicate with them either.Add a Primos or Lohman howler and you come in under fifty dollars for calls.That's all you would actually need for years to come unless you get addicted like the rest of us /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Jimmie

As far as confidence calls here for me, crows are the best. I always call crows to the stand. It's amazing how well these dang things can hear and how worked up they can get. I wish all coyotes were as aggresive as crows are coming to a distress call. A squirrel chatter is also very good. Sqirrels are oftentimes the "watchdog" of the woods. When something is going on, they'll run up a tree or out onto a limb and start giving it heck.

There's a tip in there, listen for the crows, jays, or squirrels in the distance. Many times if you hear a squirrel chattering, or see crows wheeling overhead somewhere in the distance, look sharp! A critter is on the way to the call. I've repositoned to have the right angle just because I've heard a squirrel chattering from a direction that wasn't quite right for a steady shot as I sat. Listening to the animals allowed me to do this before the predator was within sight or spooking range. If I had ignored the hint the squirrel or crows were trying to give me, I probably would have been caught offgaurd and handcuffed.

The oldtimers may remember a post I placed on the old Shade Tree (that was a while back, huh!) forum. It was titled "Natures Calling Seminar" and told of how I heard a squealing distress sound one day as I was scouting some calling territory. I slipped on the sound that was coming from a deep hollow. After a bit I stalked close over the brow of the ridge and could see a little Sharp Shinned Hawk that had tackled an unusally large prey for it. Sharp Shinned Hawks are fairly little fellows and hunt other birds, nearly always small song birds, woodpeckers, ect... Well this guy got the big eye and tackled a full grown Pileated Woodpecker. The little hawk was riding the big old woodpecker bronc busting style. Grappled onto the woodpeckers back by his talons, the hawk was trying to reach around and bite the head and neck of woody for the kill. Woody was ducking and flopping his wings and crying steadily. Non stop in fact! This little show went on for several minutes when my Dad came sneaking (not all that sneakily) over to me. Dad had heard the crying of the Pileated and actually thought that I had found a good spot to call from and just set-up and was wailing away. It sort of made him mad that I didn't take time to inform him and set-up properly so here he came to chastice me. Well, he spooked the hawk and woodpecker. Showing great strength the Sharp Shinned picked up that big old woodpecker and flew it on down the hollow about fifty yards. When they landed the screaming of the woodpecker immediately started over again. That continued for about five more minutes or so and then stopped. I stayed around for another several minutes hoping that by chance their commotion might actually call a coyote. It didn't but Dad payed me a great compliment when he said that the bird sounded exactly like one of my call sequences. I think that the tone and rythem probably were the same, except I take pauses for a couple of minutes when calling. But I keep the calling fairly busy, without too long stops. I like to keep a critter interested and on the string to the stand. Doing so doesn't allow them to get edgy and begin that looping circle to cut the breeze. At least that's my thought regarding that. That when using the higher pitched sounds. When I'm using a courser sound or a fawn deer bleat/distress I don't call with the same fast cadence.

These recent post's have brought up a reminder that we forgot. A lot of you wonder if your making the right sounds when calling. The answer to that question is usually right there in the woods with you. Jay's , hawks ,crows, owls and flickers all respond to the calls as readily as the four footed predators.Not only do they add realism to your set up but they are an indicator that you are doing things the right way. They'll even let you know how well your cammo is working by spooking! You know your cammo is really good when an owl sits there for the entire set looking for the critter it thinks is a meal.

As GC stated , I too listen for the tattle tales. In my neck of the woods that's squirrels and blue jays. These critters tell on everybody that moves.When your working the calls, listen for these little rascals. They're telling you company is coming! Jimmie

Well said my friend. Even more so if you’re used to one call and success, and venture to a new type. For example being familiar with the slate then working with a split-reed etc. Then you hit the right tones, and try to develop a pattern or technique to get back to them. I was practicing in the back yard and managed to call in an ally cat, got a few crows to do a fly by, and drove the neighbor’s dog nuts. I think I’ll have enough confidence in this call by the end of Oct., and put it to use. While I prefer the Knight&Hale pocket puppy, the reed does free up your hands a bit. Let’s say for example your trekin’ to your spot and happen to snap a twig, you can mimic a wandering hen etc. I’ve had the benefit of being very close to turkeys etc. in the wild, while observing their movements listening to their sounds. From this knowledge I try to mimic the tones. But still, no way would I just go out and buy even the best call on the market and go out to risk sounding like gibberish. I want confidence I guess not just in the call but my use of it.
Being new to predator hunting though, what call to obtain, and its use has yet to materialize. I will however work my way into it. That is a promise. It is one reason why I’m here! Forgive me perhaps as I’m not about to give up on my game hunting while the seasons are open. The good thing is some seasons such as coyote, and fox overlap then extend past turkey and deer southern tier. I want to prepare, give the shotgun a rest and put the Marlin to good use. When I’m in my stand, or thinking about moving etc. and a squirrel goes off, oh yeah they are great little spies! I make like a stone. I love squirrel hunting too though, tough call /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The last couple of posts by GC and Jimmie referring to birds are right on; but also keep an eye out for them when you aren’t calling. Crows (ravens here), blue jays, magpies, ect, ect, all eat meat. Add buzzards to the list. The noisy activities of these birds will often lead you to a recent kill. Find a kill, and you have a ready made place for a calling stand. This can be especially important when hunting cougar, but can also pay big dividends when coyotes have killed something to large for them to clean up at one sitting. I have also seen where a bear has run a cougar off it’s kill, and taken it over. Fresh meat laying around in the woods draws all kinds of critters!

Dan,
What caliber/cartridge is that on the target? .22 LR or Magnum? That'll stir some conversation I'm sure.

You know GC your supposed to dance with the girl ya brought to the party. I just prefer to bring the best gal around /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

That post brings us to weapons. I say use what you have but please leave the 22lr at home. True it will kill a coyote if placed properly but placing it properly is always a question.I've been there and done that one. Acoyote's head is shaped to much like a cone , they bounce off doing little damage.The body of a coyote is pure muscle and will soak up most rounds placed in the body from a 22lr. I've killed and skinned enough stock killers to know this one already. More than once I've found a 22 round just under the hide or found a festered wound that had popped the bullet out leaving a crippled animal for a while.Do yourselves and the prey animal a favor and use a 22mag minimum. Jimmie

Yeah I thought that .22 was kinda small, I am going to go with somethin' that delivers a little more insta-death... maybe the 12ga w/00 in the thick stuff here on the wetside of the state and the good ol .243 in the open scabs on the other side, where it don't rain.

I aint into no cryin and runnin around, I want 'em dead when I click the trigger! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Just Krusty, will do for a name,

GC,

I was using Winchester 22wmr 40 grain jhp's shot with a Marlin 25mn w/Tasco var2.510x42m mil-dot scope @ 100 yards and the assistance of a homemade bench rest. I can get close results prone, or useing the harris bi-pod. I also made a set of steady-sticks that come in handy for kneel shots, or from a tapered hedgerow. But their disadvantage is having to carry the extra bulk. Last year, I took out a coyote with the same set-up & ammo useing the hastly sling method. 80 yard head shot.

To me, the 22mag is a universal varmint & small preditor rifle. It also draws less attention to your shot. Having said that it has it's limits of course. There is some great ammo out there for 22wmr rimfire. I like to use Remington psp's for squirrel for example. CCI & Federal make a 50 grain hp that has potential. This is getting a little off thread so I'll end and add this, my thoughts would be to learn to be a better caller, so I can put that potential to use.

Rich, I have been using the double howler technique for a couple of years now. Still I have not once received a verbal responce from a coyote but I have called them into the stand, though.
BTW, in your experience do you find that the alpha male or female will come into a call stand quicker and more aggresive or slower, more methodical and wary? I like your thought of taking out the ring leaders first so that the area is then occupied by the young and dumb.

Christopher,
A hunter has got to be ready for almost anything when calling these dang coyotes. I have had em come on dead run with hair standing on end and just begging for a fight. I also have had these smart old devils circle downwind in a sneaky sort of way. That is why calling is so much fun. It is always a challenge. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dan,
To each his own I guess. I certainly wouldn't use the rimfire "magnum" at 100 yards. IMHO that's stretching the barrel on that particular rifle by about 1/4 more than need be. In fact, I don't really consider it a predator cartridge at all. If I wanted something quiet and yet effective at short to medium ranges, I'd look at one of several rounds starting with the .22 Hornet, .221 Fireball, ect... Personally I still don't see a problem with a .223 rifle. They're plentiful, recoil is basically a non issue, they're accurate, cheap to shoot, pretty quiet from full rifle barrels, and effective on even big coyotes out to at least 250 yards or a bit more. Again, opinions are many and varied.

As for the fellow that above that mentioned shotguns and 00 Buck. There are a couple of threads about shotguns, chokes, and shot sizes, in the Firearms Archives. You might be interested, it makes for a good read.

I don't mean to pick a fight about your choices. Just thought I'd express my own ideas regarding that. I hope you get lot's of opportunity with your little rifle and it works great for you. And thanks for pitching in on the thread.

Danurve, Stick with the 40 grain jhp. You'll be a lot happier with it than the cci stuff.

Christopher. I have to agree with Rich.You never know how or why they react to the call unless you get the dominant dog call in return to your howling.The dominant animal that challenges you will always come in hot, thing is it may be either sex. But I noticed whenever I manage that rare double the female is leading the way no matter what sound they are responding too.Jimmie

Thanks for the info on the call. Since we have no cottontails or jacks up here, I've been hoping to find one. I've been using an old Olt duel range that I fiddled with and was able to get it sounding pretty close.
I agree with the opinions about the .22lr being a bit small for yotes. However I do use one when I'm after reds, keeping my shots under 50yrds.
Since the price is finally going up some (I averaged $35 last winter), the less damage the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back