bobcat in heat how do you use it ??

Cooper Woods

How do the cats respond to the bobcat in heat sound? Do they sneak in or just walk on in? Do you need to call as long as you do with prey sounds? How much volume should you use? Should you let it play all the time or on & off? Sorry for so many ? but I'm not sure how you should do it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif Byron might need to answer because I have his bobcat in heat sound. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif THANKS

I had this over on the east in a thread but thought it would be better here.
--------------------
Cooper

The first time I heard this sound was from a caged bobcat. It would not shut up. It just continually paced back and forth in her cage making this awful sound. I asked her owner what was wrong with her. He said "awe she is in heat, and when she is like that she will go for hours". He also told me a story about chasing a bobcat around in his yard the morning before trying to catch it. At the time he had lots of bobcats and assumed it was one of his. After chasing it a while he realized it wasn't his, checked his pens and sure enough it was a wild bobcat that he duduced had responded to her cries. A little light went off in my head and I attempted to try and mimic this sound. I did a pretty good job I guess as he commented that it sounded exactly like her. I filed this away in my head and had almost forgot about it. Then one night while calling we had a cat hang up and would not budge. It was back in some brush that wouldn't allow for a clean shot. On a whim I gave it a squall and low and behold he came. I thought this was pretty cool. Since that time I've used this sound quiet a bit using only my mouth. About three year ago I recorded the sound, put it on my FOXPRO and even sent it to them. I've called in lots of cats using this recording. I usually start out with a rabbit and then go to it after a few minutes if nothing shows up to the rabbit. Most of the cats that have responded have come within a couple of minutes of playing this sound but I did have one cat come in at about the ten minute mark. I have also recieved lots of other feedback from others that have had good success with my sound. Just ask Randy Watson or Curt Barrett what they think about it. This sound attracts both female and male bobcats and seems to do well all year but suspect it is at it's best during late January through March when most bobcats are bred. I have been using this sound (by mouth) for about 15 years or so and it has made the difference on stands many times. Just about a month ago Rod Haydel and I were hunting together and he watched through the view finder of my video camera as I squalled one to about 25-30 yards. I was alternating the squalling with lip squeeks. I would love to be able to show the video of this but Rod somehow forgot to hit the record button. So to answer your question. I would not hesitate to use it constantly or even mixed with a prey distress sound. The reason I say this is because the only real "bobcat in heat" I ever saw would not shut up. I've also seen and heard barn cats in heat though and they did much the same until they found a suiter. The sound that FOXPRO has is a good recording and has called in many cats for people, but the one I put on my CD is of a little better quality as I've learned a little more about recording sounds since then. Also you asked how they respond. Most have come at a fast walk but a couple have came sneaking in, in typical bobcat fashion. Hope this helps.

Byron

Where Can I purchase this sound on a CD or get a download for an MP3 player? I use a convertacaller with a CD player but am going to get rid of the CD player and hook up an MP3 player to illiminate having to switch cd's around all the time making movements, noise,and scratching them in the process. Not to mention the extra bulk,weight, and bright shiny, sun catching,silver looks of them. Dont know how many times I have dumpped sand into the player and the case changing discs out.

I've got that sound on the foxpro. I've yet to call anything with it yet but I just started using it as bobcat season just opened. I've been told that the sound will also work on lions. Any truth to that?

243ME--Go to Byron South's website(Coming to the Call) and order his CD of the sound among others. I just ordered it with some other cat sounds.

I was thinking of using the call much as you might howling. Start the stand off with a minute or so of bobcat in heat, then switching to a distress sound for the remainder of the stand. Every 5 minutes or so, throw in another minute of horny bobcat.

Has anyone tried this or see a method that will work better? Is that limited use of bobcat in heat enough? I'd like to use both distress and bobcat in heat so there are two incentives working there for the cats.

Davr.

I think that would work just fine.

Pack Wolf,

There is not really a bad time to use it, but they just seem a little more receptive to it during their mating season (Late Jan-early March).

Predator Paul.

I have had a few meow, so to speak, back but it is not common in my experience. I also don't hear as well as I used to, so they may be doing it more than I know.

Byron

Last edited:
Byron, or anyone,
Have you ever had another cat "talk back" at the bobcat in heat sounds?

Just wondering.....
Hi I see this post was Frome 2005 but I have the Johnny Stewart bloodhound electric call in it has bobcat in heat I set up by a dried up beaver pond I played yellowhammer distress and baby woodpecker for abought 45 mins and no response till I played bobcat in heat after a few minutes there was a cat behind me making the same noise as the call then another cat way back but in frunt of me doing the same thing at that time in 2020 I didn’t no enuff to stay put and keep calling because I didn’t think thay wer moving tword the call I had a red light I put in the tree to light up the area it was around 3:00 am and I’m not sher if it was two females or if it was 2 males responding and haven’t went back out bobcat hunting since it’s now 2024 and I’m hitting the woods hard this year to see if I can repeat and get the response I did then I live in upper Michigan and it’s Ben a verry mild winter so far hopefully it don’t have anny effect on when thay go in heat so to answer your question thay do resound but I don’t no the sex of the responding cats

I think it is pretty common for a daytime called cat to just sit down and watch the call, for what seems forever. Drives me nuts when I see one but can't get a clean shot and the rascal just won't move. Like coyotes, it makes me often wonder how many came close that I just didn't see.

How do the cats respond to the bobcat in heat sound? Do they sneak in or just walk on in? Do you need to call as long as you do with prey sounds? How much volume should you use? Should you let it play all the time or on & off? Sorry for so many ? but I'm not sure how you should do it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif Byron might need to answer because I have his bobcat in heat sound. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif THANKS

I had this over on the east in a thread but thought it would be better here.
--------------------
Cooperate have the Johnny Stewart bloodhound Eletrick call and I use the yellow hammer and baby woodpecker ist the same time for abought a half shower or so and switch to bobcat in heat and run another hi pitched steady call in sequence I have had cats call back with the same sound as bobcat in heat so I’m not if it’s another female or if a male is just responding I seen a cat at around 2 or 3 hundred yards and went back in the woods so I didn’t get a shot but I have had cats respond to in heat call more than any other call but all the cats that I have seen wer sneaking in and not just running in

I think it is pretty common for a daytime called cat to just sit down and watch the call, for what seems forever. Drives me nuts when I see one but can't get a clean shot and the rascal just won't move. Like coyotes, it makes me often wonder how many came close that I just didn't see.
My opinion the bobcat in heat is by far the best playing another call in sequence or not

Byron, or anyone,
Have you ever had another cat "talk back" at the bobcat in heat sounds?

Just wondering.....
Hay abought 4or5years ago i played distress sounds for abought 45 mins mabie longer i was sitting on an old beave dam and then played bobcat in heat it was almost instantly herd the same noises coming frome 2 difrent directions but couldnt get eather one to come in to the opning i finly gave up or got to cold and didnt realize how close i was to getting a cat because I haven’t been able to repeat anything close to what i did that night i wish i would have stayed longer i live in uper michigan and have ben trying every year to call in a cat and kill it so yes thay will anser back but im not sher if it was 2 females or if it was makes mimicing my call i will never no lol mabie next year

Back