Bobcat Daytime E-Calling Tips

SwP

Any tips and tricks for e-calling bobcats?
Daytime hunting only - calls, set-ups, stands, volumes, durations, locations?
In the Southwest, any information we could learn from this thread.

Look for sitting cats more than cats charging in. I swear 90% of the cats I’ve called just appear and they’re sitting just looking the direction of the caller. Not saying the wind doesn’t matter but most I’ve seen over my shoulder behind me. I just got this feeling to scan that direction and I’ve had them within 30yds just staring at me. Now this is all Night time hunting.

A little over a month ago in AZ we called in three cats in a couple days. All daytime calling. Check out my post. It has some general information about sounds and timing of the cats' response to those sounds.

IMO the most important thing with calling cats is patience. If you are in an area where you know there are cats, sit for 25-30 minutes. From my experience, cats seem to like the softer calls like cagie cottontail, but will also come to louder calls like rabbit stew and bird distresses.

Around here it seems that if I find a place that has an abondance of rabbits (thicker brush, brush piles, briars, etc) it will also have cats. I have also called more cats out of creek bottoms and along beaver ponds.

Place your call in an opening. Just a few weeks ago I didn't see a cat until it was just a foot away from my call. It belly crawled through the tall grass all the way up to the call.

Be still. Again, it usually takes cats a while to come in so if you are moving they will see you.

I have also experienced the same thing that Spurchaser mentioned. They will creep in, get about 50 yards from your call and just sit there on their butts and look around.

Because of their slow movement and great camouflage, if you have a thermal scanner, use it. Even during the day time.

IMO the most important thing with calling cats is patience. If you are in an area where you know there are cats, sit for 25-30 minutes. From my experience, cats seem to like the softer calls like cagie cottontail, but will also come to louder calls like rabbit stew and bird distresses.

Around here it seems that if I find a place that has an abondance of rabbits (thicker brush, brush piles, briars, etc) it will also have cats. I have also called more cats out of creek bottoms and along beaver ponds.

Place your call in an opening. Just a few weeks ago I didn't see a cat until it was just a foot away from my call. It belly crawled through the tall grass all the way up to the call.

Be still. Again, it usually takes cats a while to come in so if you are moving they will see you.

I have also experienced the same thing that Spurchaser mentioned. They will creep in, get about 50 yards from your call and just sit there on their butts and look around.

Because of their slow movement and great camouflage, if you have a thermal scanner, use it. Even during the day time.
Great information! Thanks for sharing and taking the time 👌

Great information! Thanks for sharing and taking the time 👌
Any time.

Man, I don't know what it is.... (not that I'm complaining) but I am the cat master this year. I wish I called in as many coyotes as I have cats. IMO the #1 reason that I've called in so many is I usually stay on a stand for about 30 minutes v/s most people's 10.

Target areas with a lot of bobcat sign like fresh scat and tracks. They sometimes will have a toilet area, usually in a sandy place, just like domestic cats use a litter box. if you find one of these and the scat is fresh its usually a good place to call. Here in southern AZ I find a lot of bobcat sign in sandy desert washes.

Most cats I've called have shown up around the 15-20 minute mark.

I think the most important thing is setting up where a cat is. People talk about patience but every cat I’ve ever called in has come pretty quick

I have yet to call a cat in during season. I have called them out of season while calling coyotes, so I don't have any personal info myself. But I do remember watching a video where someone said to face the call to where you want the cat to come from. Also said that before they come out in the open, they will sit and observe at the edge of woods or thickets. weeds. He said when they do that, they will show the white of their belly to make it easier to spot them.

Most of the bobcats that I have called in have shown up in less than 10 minutes. It looks to me like setting up within 500 yards of a bobcat is more important than what sound you use. I have had many bobcats walk right up to my e-caller with the volume on full blast.

I think decoys work better on bobcats than they do on coyotes.
IMG_4811 - Copy by https://www.flickr.com/photos/156463377@N08/, on Flickr
IMG_3858 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/156463377@N08/, on Flickr
IMG_0174 - Copy by https://www.flickr.com/photos/156463377@N08/, on Flickr
IMG_8397 - Copy by https://www.flickr.com/photos/156463377@N08/, on Flickr
IMG_7048 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/156463377@N08/, on Flickr

I’ve been amazed at the cats and even coyotes that will run straight to the call in an open field even when there’s nothing resembling the sound they’re hearing except a caller that looks nothing like what’s making the sound.

Most of the bobcats that I have called in have shown up in less than 10 minutes. It looks to me like setting up within 500 yards of a bobcat is more important than what sound you use. I have had many bobcats walk right up to my e-caller with the volume on full blast.

I think decoys work better on bobcats than they do on coyotes.
IMG_4811 - Copy by Robert Morris, on Flickr
IMG_3858 by Robert Morris, on Flickr
IMG_0174 - Copy by Robert Morris, on Flickr
IMG_8397 - Copy by Robert Morris, on Flickr
IMG_7048 by Robert Morris, on Flickr
Those are some legendary pictures!

Back