BLACK Mountain Lion?

First let me say I never said what I saw and shot was a "Black Mountain Lion" it was obviously a large black cat of some kind. If I had to guess I would say it wieghed in the nieghborhood of 70-80 pounds, it's a guess because I saw it from a distance. I also said I don't believe it was indigenous(sp?) to the area and most likely was someones pet that was turned loose or escaped. That being said there have been numerous stories on a black cat on the local news along with video footage of it on TV lately. I again believe it is someones pet turned loose. But to think that there is simply NO black cats in the wild be it mountain lion or not is ludicrous at best.

Chupa

Quote:
But to think that there is simply NO black cats in the wild be it mountain lion or not is ludicrous at best.

Chupa

Chupa, I don't thnk that's what was said, or implied.

If COURSE there are black cats out there. Panthers are very common.......but I think the guys are talking about in the United States. Now THAT'S a different story. No black cats here. Absolutely no concrete proof at all. If you say you saw one, that's fine. I don't doubt your integrity for one instant. But I'm in the group that has to see it (photos or video) before I personally will accept it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

As a side note, and to show just another way these things get "out of hand".....A friend at work many years ago told me he had a cougar that came around his home every night. He said that it growled and snarled at this dog. Well, I went out there and we sat on his back porch and enjoyed a cigar after dark. About midnight, sure enough, there was a growling and snarling in the woods behind his house. After turning on my spotlight and scanning the area, we saw his cougar.......it was a 35-40 pound bobcat. Come to find out later, it had been wounded earlier by a deer hunter and was in pretty bad shape. The next night, his neighbor shot it with a .22 when it practically death-crawled onto his porch to eat the cat food he had put out for his cats. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

We are talking about a Black Mountain Lion here like the topic states.

Can you turn up a genuine pic or carcass of a black mtn. lion? I'm not talking about someones escaped black phase leopard or jaguar either. Any REAL and verified black mtn. lion picture or carcass would be be fine.

there is some land owned by a big construction outfit my buddy hunts for deer alot, its his main deer hunting spot.. he said there were 3 black cats spotted by his grandfather way back when... 30 plus years ago.. well me and a buddy were hunting hogs on the property about 5 months ago and spotted some weird lookin tracks in the sandy dirt.. looked just like cat tracks well we followed the tracks for about 250 yds and came up on a dead hog.. but there were alot of yote tracks around the hog aswell along with these weird lookin tracks.. we think they were cat tracks.. needless to say we watched our backs the whole way out.. not sure if it was cat tracks but ive never seen any dog tracks that looked like that

BLACK PANTHERS and yes they have been sited in KY and SOUTHERN ILL,not by me but have heard stories andpeople have claimed to see them. We have armidillos now in KY why not a black cat

If 1% of the population were Melanistic... and Maybe 5% of the population is Ever sighted by humans.. Odds are in their Favor... There are Mt. Lions / Panthers across the US, Even tho Most Wildlife agencies Refuse to admit it.

With the number of Trail cams and people running Dogs.. I'd think a pic would show up... to dat I have not seen one, but it sure does not rule out their existance.

Chupa, I would take a picture of your .243 shell as proof of the existence of the plack panther without question. That should settle it for all times. Harry

I know what I saw I know Mt lion behavior and I will be in a place to see this one again, I will get at the least a picture better yet maybe a hide to mount.

Quote:
We are talking about a Black Mountain Lion here like the topic states.

Can you turn up a genuine pic or carcass of a black mtn. lion? I'm not talking about someones escaped black phase leopard or jaguar either. Any REAL and verified black mtn. lion picture or carcass would be be fine.

I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to dig up the news footage that I was reffering to. But honestly, who here would be able to tell if it was a "Black MT. Lion" or someother type of large black cat? I wouldn't, thats why I say I don't know the breed of cat I shot at. All I know is it was very large and black and was a cat. Don't start screaming house cat either because this thing was well over 60 pounds and closer to 70-80 if I were guessing.

People scoffed at the idea of an egg laying mammal too, until they found one(platypus). Or heres one for ya, how about the idea of a venomous mammal? You guessed it,also the platypus /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. We have all seen black coyotes and white coyotes, so why not an indigenous cat. To think that man knows about every breed or species of animal on the planet is nothing but pure arrogance. The ceolocanth "WAS" extinct, until one washed up on a beach and shocked the world. My point is this, maybe black Mt. Lion's don't exist but released exotic pets MOST CERTAINLY DO, the average person on the street who happens to see one would not be thinking "Panther" because they aren't indigenous to this country but they most likely would say that they saw a black MT. Lion because they are indigenous. They aren't crazy, they are just ignorant of the difference's between the two species(as am I). But to call some one crazy or a liar because they used the wrong word in a sentence is wrong. And to say that there is no possible way for a certain animal to be a certain color or that we know everything there is to know about wildlife biology and geneology is pure arrogance.

Do you believe in Jesus? If so, Have you ever seen him?

Please, I'm not upset. Well, maybe a little, but I've never been a fan of closed minded thinking. And I don't like it when people flame others because they may have lesser communication skills(BTW, I would fall into that category) or a lesser vocabulary.

Chupa

Quote:
Chupa, I would take a picture of your .243 shell as proof of the existence of the plack panther without question. That should settle it for all times. Harry

What would that prove?

Chupa

Quote:

So save the money of getting a shrink and spend it on some hounds, maybe a new gun and a camera /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That gun is all you need for good group therapy. That works for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

(I saw that monsterquest, too)

To even consider this an "urban myth" is totally hilarious. And lumping it into the same catagory as "nelly" and "bigfoot" just shows your total ignorance. Like I mentioned before, I was glad to have had another guy with me just to substantiate my claim to narrow minded fools like yourself.

You actually had me laughing when you tried to correlate the platypus, a prehistoric fish, and Jesus to the discovery of the mythical "black mountain lion" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If it works for you go for it... Me, I want some evidence. A carcass of a Black Mountain Lion would make me a believer.

Any takers who can bring forth a carcass or some REAL pictures. This has been bounced around different boards for years and nobody ever coughs anything up. You'd think with the millions of hunters sitting in treestands in the south and east somebody would thump one. At least a pic on a trail cam or somebody crunching a black lion on the highway to give some real proof. You ever wonder why the game departments smirk when people ask about black mountain lions.

Yeah, I guess I am a bit narrow minded on this urban myth concerning the black mt. lion. I can only base my ignorance and disbelief on the fact that, in the last century or so, not one single piece of hard evidence has ever surfaced. Not a single bonified photo, a single road kill, a single shriveled mummified carcass,a trail cam photo,a hair or two on any hair collection rub site,a happy hunter dragging one into a game dept office........nothing. Your right;what a narrow minded,ingorant sob I am.

PS; It's Nessie, not Nelly, how dare you marginalize Nessie believers, so naoorow minded of you:)

I can remember when it was a big story if somebody even claimed to have seen a deer track. I killed my first in the early 1970's and nobody believed it till they saw it dead. I first saw the big eight pointer riding the bus one morning on the way to school. I screamed, DEER!!! and everyone thought I was nuts because none of them looked quick enough to see it in time, nor had anyone ever seen a deer in those parts---ever. I went after him in a snow storm a month later. I cut his track after an hour and nailed him at 125 yards watching his backtrack. Nowdays that same place where I killed him has them thick as fleas.

I believe you saw a large black cat and I'd like to believe it was a born in the wild Mt. Lion.

Somebody will get one soon enough.

Wait for a snow and prove 'em wrong. That's what I did.

I have a friend who claims he has seen one in E. Texas. One of the guys who allowed us access to his property in S.E. Oklahoma swears he saw one on top of one of their dead cows. Neither had a camera. While I don't beieve what they saw was a black mtn. lion or panther, I do believe they believe it, just as I believe that those here that claim to have seen one believe it too. I have to go with the odds though. With the numbers in the field someone would have taken a picture or have a film of one of these by now.

As far as someone getting one (a picture) soon, I say maybe, but define soon enough, its been never so far, how long must we wait?

Last edited:
Pictures exist of big cats in S.E. Texas and S. Texas of large DARK colored cats. Analysis showed them to be very dark brown and they could easily be mistaken at dawn or dusk for black cats. I grew up in S. Texas near the border and have seen brown mt. lions (we called them Mexican lions) but none dark enough to consider black.

No proof of black cats yet but I'm open minded enough to not totally dismiss the idea.

I'm just trying to figure out why this is posted on the Firearms Section? Maybe because this is the only section this topic hasn't already been beaten to death on? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Quote:
I'm just trying to figure out why this is posted on the Firearms Section? Maybe because this is the only section this topic hasn't already been beaten to death on? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Good point Gary.

Do you know any Moderators that can move it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Back