Best Coyote Cartridge

dimecovers3

There seems to be a lot of folks trying to find a gun to kill a coyote. I'm not sure why their deer rifle is not good enough and would give good off season practice. As far as I can tell the cartidges break down into two groups: those that want a round that bang flop a coyote at any reasonable range and are not worried about pelt damage and those that want to do the same and minimize pelt damage. As far as I can tell, the .243 with a 87 grain V-Max is the Wrath of Things to Come in the coyotee world. You could go more powerful and faster, but this bullet will stomp a coyote and shoot well in a factory twist barrel with little recoil. Now if you enjoy the small calibers, THE round is the 17 Remington with the correct 25 or 30 grain bullet. I think that the .204 Ruger is too much of a good thing as is the better Tac 20 unless you shoot VERY long frequently and don't plan on having too many up close shots. The problem with the .204 and the standard factory 1/12 twist is that the better bullets in the 40 grain range (ment to shoot long range) have problems in that twist in most rifles. If you want to shoot the PD's with the 32 that's great, but until the gun companies start twisting their barrels 1-11 or even 1-10 I'm waiting to buy one. I know a lot of guns will shoot the 39 grain Seirra, but that is very limiting. A custom gun with a 1-10 would be a death ray on long distance coyotes with longer 40 grain boat tails. Seems to me if a fellow already owned a .243, 6mm Rem or even a 25-06 for deer you have a killer coyote rifle. If you want a special rig, build it cause nobody makes it with the correct twist for the bullets that would want to use. If I could only own one rifle for coyotes it would be a .17 Remington, as I like to call my own shots and you just can't quite do that with a .204 caliber. I'm planning a deer/predator build .243 AI just to have, but I doubt I'll ever use it on purpose. I'd love a custom 1-10 Tac 20(cause Lilja does not make a 1-11---yet) just to have for kicks, but I would end up using it on groundhogs more, I'd bet. I think rounds like the 22-250 , Swift, etc. are great, but for vaporizing VARMINTS at great distance. I find the .223 an all around cartidge that is not great for any task--too much of a compromise. Predators, I like to feel like I've hunted them. With a .17 caliber, things just seem a little more personal. Thoughts,,,,flames?

Last edited:
Wow, you're bored ain't cha.

First off the 204 will never be a long distance "DRT" coyote round.
Second, the 243 should be a "DRT" cal. with the grain bullets you are talking about.
Third, the 25-06 is a "DRT" cart. with 75gr VMAX.
As are most larger, bigger than .224 cal. cartridges, when loaded with light for caliber thin jacketed bullets.

Never shot a .17 cal. centerfire in my life so I won't make a comment on it.

IMHO the 223 Rem, for all practical calling purposes, is pretty hard to beat. Load it with a decent 50-60 gr. bullet and most times when you pull the trigger your animal will be there close to impact scene.

I really like the 22-250 also and the same rules apply to it as the 223, you can just add 100 yards to the equation.

Clayman

Quote:
Wow, you're bored ain't cha.

First off the 204 will never be a long distance "DRT" coyote round.
Second, the 243 should be a "DRT" cal. with the grain bullets you are talking about.
Third, the 25-06 is a "DRT" cart. with 75gr VMAX.
As are most larger, bigger than .224 cal. cartridges, when loaded with light for caliber thin jacketed bullets.

Never shot a .17 cal. centerfire in my life so I won't make a comment on it.

IMHO the 223 Rem, for all practical calling purposes, is pretty hard to beat. Load it with a decent 50-60 gr. bullet and most times when you pull the trigger your animal will be there close to impact scene.

I really like the 22-250 also and the same rules apply to it as the 223, you can just add 100 yards to the equation.

Clayman

Yes, bored as hell---home sick with a bug. Now, about the .223 with the bullets you use: Don't you find that at short range it is too destructive and at longer ranges it just loses too much steam? Sorta like a 30-06 for deer in my opinion.

What ever happens to be in your hand when he steps out,

What ever is in your gun safe or:

what ever your wife will let you buy!

Any of the above will work just fine, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Dave

Quote:
What ever happens to be in your hand when he steps out,

What ever is in your gun safe or:

what ever your wife will let you buy!

Any of the above will work just fine, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Dave

Well, I don't think it can be said any better than Grunter put it!!

Quote:
The problem with the .204 and the standard factory 1/12 twist is that the better bullets in the 40 grain range (ment to shoot long range) have problems in that twist in most rifles.

Not true at all. My 1-in-12 twist Rem 700 VLS shoots the 40 gr Hornady Vmax, 40 gr Berger, and even the 45 gr Hornady PSP just fine. In fact, it seems most rifles can handle these larger bullets ok.

Regarding the "best coyote cartridge", I'm doubtful there is such a beast. I would nevertheless grab a .243 in a heartbeat if we were permitted to use calibers greater than .225 for coyotes here, so until then, I will grab either of my .204, .223 or .22-250, depending on the mood. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Quote:
Quote:
The problem with the .204 and the standard factory 1/12 twist is that the better bullets in the 40 grain range (ment to shoot long range) have problems in that twist in most rifles.

Not true at all. My 1-in-12 twist Rem 700 VLS shoots the 40 gr Hornady Vmax, 40 gr Berger, and even the 45 gr Hornady PSP just fine. In fact, it seems most rifles can handle these larger bullets ok.

IS TOO TRUE!!... I'm on my 2nd 204 with a 12" twist barrel, and it sucks with the 40gr V-Max... I bought the second one because the first one sucked with the 40 gr V-Max.

I spoke to Hornady and they said the 12" is marginal with the 40 V-Max, some will shoot it and some won't.

Best groups I got with either rifle was 1" and larger.

My "new" 204 is sitting in the corner waiting for a new barrel with a faster twist.

[quote IS TOO TRUE!!... I'm on my 2nd 204 with a 12" twist barrel, and it sucks with the 40gr V-Max... I bought the second one because the first one sucked with the 40 gr V-Max.

I spoke to Hornady and they said the 12" is marginal with the 40 V-Max, some will shoot it and some won't.

Best groups I got with either rifle was 1" and larger.

My "new" 204 is sitting in the corner waiting for a new barrel with a faster twist.

Are you hunting coyote or target shooting in a league? Seems to me, a gun that will shoot 1" groups ought to suffice just fine for most hunting situations.

My Savage in .204 shoots factory Federal loads with 39gr Sierra Blitz Kings quite well.
web page
Shoots the 40gr V-MAX and 40gr Accu-tip in factory loads almost as well.

Quote:
Are you hunting coyote or target shooting in a league? Seems to me, a gun that will shoot 1" groups ought to suffice just fine for most hunting situations.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

You know, I've been thinking the same thing for several months. Why in the heck do we think we gotta have benchrest quality groups to hunt with? If we put more emphasis on the proper bullet for the job at hand, instead of "maybe" compromising for a bullet that groups better, wouldn't we be more ethical? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

OK...my moment of compassion is over now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Call me old fashioned, but I expect a dedicated rifle for shooting small critters at long range to shoot 1/2 groups most days. All my deer rifles shoot 1/2 to a 1/4 (SST's and Paritions) inch on most days with lower power scopes and lighter barrels. I would not own a rifle that would shoot over one inch groups. And I expect it to shoot like I think it should with the bullet(s) I think are best for the situation. I too do not shoot a sub-optimal bullet to gain a little accuracy advantge. I know it's not neccesary, but like the man said, "Only accurate rifles are interesting".

Quote:
All my deer rifles shoot 1/2 to a 1/4 (SST's and Paritions) inch on most days with lower power scopes and lighter barrels.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Wow!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Quote:

LOL, well put. I guess if the definition of "inaccurate" is that a 40 gr or heavier bullet won't shoot less than 1 inch groups, then ok, your .204 "sucks" with these bullets. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I got as far thru your post where deer rifles were suggested. Since I don't save hides I agree.

I might try my 270 WSM on one soon but thats sighted in with 140 Accubonds. Think that will kill one? Never mind, I am stuck with 100's of 120 gr .284" Ballistic Tips so I am looking up a load for the 7mm WSM.

Quote:
I got as far thru your post where deer rifles were suggested. Since I don't save hides I agree.

I might try my 270 WSM on one soon but thats sighted in with 140 Accubonds. Think that will kill one? Never mind, I am stuck with 100's of 120 gr .284" Ballistic Tips so I am looking up a load for the 7mm WSM.

im in that same boat. tryin to find a load for some 120 v-maxes with my 7 wsm.

63.5 of H4350 is my load for the 120tsx. great on yotes actually. DRT not too bad on the pelts. it will suffice till i get my paws on a 22-250! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

If we are talking the best then i would vote for the 220 Swift or 22-250 Standard or Improved. Personally i like the 223 Rem and the 17 Rem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back