Baiting

Exactly what I thought too. Went down in the daylight and could not find a speck. Had good land marks to follow from the video and nothing...
Those things can be hard to find. A few weeks ago I called up a medium sized lone male for my cousin. He shot him facing us, a little low in the chest. He dropped, but right before my cousin moved the scope you could see the coyote try to stand up in the video. We looked for him for 30 minutes and couldn't find anything. A few days later he went out and said we must have walked by the coyote 50-11 times. He barely moved from where he was shot. And this was out in a clear cut corn field, not thick woods. I'm still wondering if he crawled into the edge of the woods then the buzzards drug him out into the field.

I was finally able to match up being in the new bait/blind location and a coyote. Although not the way I planned. I've had a camera on this bait the whole time. Just a couple pics, sometimes a couple days after I had sat on in the blind. There is a field lane that runs 1/3 of a mile from a blacktop to the food plot. I had parked in the tractor path right off the black top and walked in. I began to think maybe the coyote was coming down the field lane and nights my truck was there the coyote just turned around. With no snow I had no tracks to locate the coyotes direction of travel. Tonight I parked a 1/4 mile away from the field lane. A couple hundred yards from the blind I turned on the thermal scope and could see something where the bait should be. It's very windy, 20-25 mph gusts from the bait to the blind. Moon is up but hazy clouds. I managed to get into the blind, setup rifle and take a shot. Drt with the 20p and 40 gr Berger. Disappointed that no photos have been sent to my phone. Now wondering how much bait is left, since I didn't think there was a lot of activity here. Waiting awhile to see if another one shows. Pics to follow.

IMG_20240228_020508879.jpg
looked at my NOAA app after the shot wind gusting to 30 mph, 5 degrees. The exterminator powder and Berger bullets seem to handle the weather. I raised the camera up about a foot and moved the bait about 20 feet closer. Not sure why coyote don't seem to trip the camera, crows, eagles, skunks, raccoon all trigger the camera?

Good shooting in that kind of wind.
FME, scavenger birds are much more aggressive and fighting amongst themselves would create a lot more movement than coyotes usually do, especially singles. That probably triggers camera better; moving bait closer should help, I imagine. (y) :sneaky:

His back right foot/lower leg had some sort of non penetrating injury, dislocation or tendon. The right side is exit side, none. Shot hit center of left side shoulder. Going back at sunset, I don't think he was the only coyote using the bait and the injury probably dropped his rank in the feed hierarchy.

Redemption:
This morning at 6:25 on the 170 yd site. Daylight was just breaking and I could have used conventional day glass, but wanted video. So, Adder 50-384 on the 22-250
this morning. The results were satisfactory. 50 gr NBT at 3700 fps. Small female.

Since I went to a death grip tripod with a ball head/arca plate, I really want a thermal scope I can wifi to my phone. It's crazy how steady my rifle/hold is with the tripold while sitting in a chair or on the ground.

Back