Baiting

On Thursday night we were blanked, but on the way out I spotted three coyotes in a field. It was late enough we didn't have time to do anything with them. Yesterday, we put together a plan and I went and scouted out how best to setup with the wind we were having. Friday night we put the plan in action. I started calling at 9:07 and at 9:10 we had a double on the ground. Here they are probably last year's pups. The female was not bred.

#55-56 by Double Up, on Flickr

Later in the hunt we took another female, so we got all three of the ones we saw the previous night. Unfortunately neither of us got video of that kill as my buddy's video failed somehow. Here is a picture I took of her this morning after I recovered her. We couldn't cross a big canal to get to her last night.

#57 by Double Up, on Flickr

Here is the video of the double:

I can't say those are the 3 prettiest coyotes ya'll have killed but they all look dead so congrats x3. Just curious, do you know where your partner hit the one that was running dead?

My hunting partner couldn't go tonight, but I made it work by myself. I hunted a corn field that was higher than I realized. I was sitting and could only see the occasional glimpse of the coyote as it passed through the corn rows. I finally had to raise my tripod to the standing position to make the kill. Even then I could only see the head and neck. I made a heck of a shot at about 175 yds., but unfortunately my video output cable was not plugged in tight and I didn't get it recorded. Here is a picture of the coyote where it fell.

#58 by Double Up, on Flickr

Well baiters, the bait pile is still not producing anything, but the calling is holding up well. My hunting buddy went with me tonight. We called a field that had grass to our north and west and corn to our south and east. I threw everything at them except the kitchen sink it seemed like, and we were preparing to leave when two popped out through the corn to our south. My rifle was still on the tripod, but my buddy was having to prop off my bike. Anyway the big male turned to leave and I Texas Heart Shot him. When he got back up I put one in the boiler room. My buddy never could get on the other one and I couldn't find it in my scope view.

Here is the male, pretty good sized one at that.

#59 by Double Up, on Flickr

The brief video:

We got a call today from one of the local duck clubs that they are having trouble with coyotes. We do control work for four different duck clubs plus several hunting clubs and coyote destruction in farmers fields. This is the time of year that some of the clubs are raising ducks in their impoundments and the coyotes take a toll on them. So, I scouted it out this afternoon, and we went back tonight. I called this one out and my partner made a nice DRT shot at about 85 yds. We also had 4 bears in the field all at one time, so that was interesting keeping an eye on them. Here is the coyote.

#60 by Double Up, on Flickr

Video:

And the hits just keep on coming. Congrats on all your success DU. You and your hunting partner are turning this into a mighty fine year.

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
WTG...again!

The moon has gotten so bright that I decided to quit calling until after the full moon on the 26th. Plus, the bears are really bad everywhere right now. I've had a big one hit the bait pile twice this week, so I decided not to put out anymore scraps to avoid the bears. Well, I saw this big male coyote crossing the field tonight. He went in the woods to the south and I thought he was gone, but he turned around and came back across the field. I killed him at 235 yds. so I was reaching out there with the AR-15. I did get video, but haven't put it together yet.

#61 by Double Up, on Flickr

Back