Baiting

Originally Posted By: gobblergetterHow blessed we are to be able to go afield with our guns in pursuit of predators and game during this holy time of year. May each of you and your loved ones remain safe, well, and happy in holiday spirit.
God bless and Merry Christmas!!

Thanks and the same to all the baiter gang!

Originally Posted By: srmmaineSo I'm new to baiting and I have had a deer carcass out for two weeks now and nothing has touched it except for a couple of birds. It's been very cold here. Any thoughts on how to spice up a bait pile?
A hunting partner told me last winter nothing was hitting deer carcass until he went down and peeled hide back, after that coyotes started hitting the site. might give it a try.

0744 hrs this morning. The -15 degrees makes them think about eating!!! I just went to work and my boy calls me...says there was a coyote on the bait. Well...this work thing is sure getting in the way of things. My boy is home on Christmas break, so, at least he's getting some action. Nice male, 130 yds, .223 RRA carbine.
12-27 130yd by jrhranch, on Flickr

Originally Posted By: baitpile0744 hrs this morning. The -15 degrees makes them think about eating!!! I just went to work and my boy calls me...says there was a coyote on the bait. Well...this work thing is sure getting in the way of things. My boy is home on Christmas break, so, at least he's getting some action. Nice male, 130 yds, .223 RRA carbine.
12-27 130yd by jrhranch, on Flickr

The last meal, and the last #2. What more could you ask for?

I received my 3D Night Vision unit this week and installed it on my scope.

Dec. 26, 2017 by Gobbler Getter, on Flickr
Having never used night vision before, only red light, I guess it takes some getting used to. ? Like looking at a LCD screen vs. scope sighting. The LCD screen has a removable red filter to cut down on the light at night, which helps, but i still feel there is a bit more red light spill that the critters may pick up on. ( I hunt 'em close. 30 to 40 yrds. in the woods) I dunno...I added a makeshift halo shield around the LCD screen that I believe helps some more. Went out this evening and shot a Red at 5:45 at the bait. Been seeing 2 fox at this particular pile for weeks on game camera : one clean and one with mainge. Fortunately, I shot the mainge fox.

Dec. 27, 2017 by Gobbler Getter, on Flickr
Any tips on using NV much appreciated.

Last edited:
Congratulations to your son, baitpile.

Gobbler, tell us your thoughts about that setup after putting it through its paces. Do you have a link to the 3D outfit?

You are rock'in and roll'in DoubleUp. 165 yards is a pretty good distance in the dark.

Thanks guys...it is a lot of fun, even when "you" don't get the shot.

Outstanding work doubleup!!! As 6mm stated, fill us in on your thoughts doubleup!! Was the 165 yd shot with your new 3D night vision? You mentioned "thermal" wasn't that good that night. Is that an IR illuminator on that 3D? What do you think the max distance is that you could shoot using that set up? You have my interest piqued!!
Give us the detailed skinny!!!

bp, that is gobblergetter who has the new NV rig. I'm shooting a Pulsar Apex XD50A thermal. Maybe GG will chime in and answer you questions.

Gobbler, I found the 3D links and videos a few minutes ago. I have some questions.

Am I correct that the unit does not record sound?

What type battery does it use? Can the battery be replaced in the field? How long will a full charge last?

Boy do I feel stupid!!! I was peeking in on the thread at work, and by the time I got home, was all twisted around. My apologies to both!!!Good job on all the kills!!! I'll go crawl in my boot now.
JH

No problem bp, so don't sweat the small stuff. I'm interested in how the new rig works out as well, so I'll be like you and waiting to hear a review from Gobblergetter.

Hey ya'll. I'll try and answer some of the questions about the 3D Night Vision unit. It's ALL new to me and wonder - what have I gotten into? Lol.
There is an IR illuminator that attaches to a small piccatiny rail on the left hand side of the unit itself. It has a low, medium, and high setting which is controlled by taps to the light's end cap.

I don't know what kind of battery the camera portion runs on. Its internal and I charge it from the wall. An additional battery pack can be purchased to carry out with you as a back up. Web site says 5-6 hrs. (Ran it continuously tonight on stand for 3.5 hrs. - no problems.)
When recording video, it does not record sound.
The demo video on this unit identifies paper targets at 50, 100, 200 and 330 yrds. (As we all know, white paper and dark fur are 2 totally different subjects! - especially at night.) I did video a deer with it just a tad over 100 yrds. The Red I shot was at 35yrds.

The jury is still out on this unit....my biggest beef right now is the incredibly limited FOV. I've been in contact with Michael, the inventor and builder of these, and he was going to test a new lens out today and let me know. I have to say thus far, his customer service has been spot on.
Can keep you posted as I try to learn more. Ughh...
Heck of a shot there DU on that 165er. Great! gg

Last edited:

Thanks Gobbler. The 3D unit is of similar concept as the home-made unit I have been using, but the 3D is more contained and neater with internal battery and video as well as less wires to deal with. It is more compact too and easy to put into action. Overall from what I have seen , it appears to be a pretty good unit. I like good video so not having sound is a negative. Maybe future units will have that feature. But, the most important thing is being able to see at night for a good shot, and no doubt the 3D unit does that, plus it is far cheaper that the standard night vision scopes out there.

Keep us posted Gobbler. We are anxious to see some fur on the ground.

Good Morning Gentlemen!!! A brutal cold spell through here is proving to be very productive on the bait!! We are in the full moon cycle with a nice snow cover...just what we wait for all year!! -8 degrees and nasty windchill makes it pretty easy for me not to go out calling!!! Not a bad thing last night!! Stayed home and tended the bait piles.
Female pup on the 170 yd site at 9:50 pm. Rem 700 .223.
JRem700upper12-30 (1) by jrhranch, on Flickr
JRem700upper12-30 (2) by jrhranch, on Flickr
Then at 1:44 am, my boy scores on the 130 yd site. RRA .223.
Adam12-13130yd (1) by jrhranch, on Flickr
Adam12-13130yd (2) by jrhranch, on Flickr
A super night on the bait scoring a double!!!! And...from the cozy recliner!! Doesn't get any better than that!!! Happy New Year All!!!

Back