Backpack or shoulder bag?

Hidalgo

Do you guys prefer a backpack, or a shoulder bag (like a small duffel)?

I've always used a backpack, but I just ordered a shoulder bag from Cabelas to use this year. I "think" it will be more versatile and easier to deal with.

Quote:
kifaru daystalker with gun bearer. Hands free to carry your coyotes.......

now there is some serious stuff there
I use a backpac but I think that a shoulder bag would be easier to get at things on the go /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I use a shoulder-carry bag most of the time. At times I still carry a small duffel.

When I started this calling stuff, I tried using a fanny pack. It went on my gun belt w/my hip-holstered .22. I gave that up after 1 winter, due to it causing too much strain on my bad back.
Then, for several years, I carried a small duffel.
Last year, I started using a 2-pocket shoulder-carry bag. It's large enough to carry only what I need, yet small enough to stay out of my way.

Maxpedition Fatmax man-purse. Holds everything you need for a day out and then some. I have the right side model but I recomend the left side one so it doesn't get in the way while carrying your rifle or shotgun in your right hand. That's me pack on the fence post.
pig2.jpg

pig1.jpg

Trashcan
Death Card Calls

Last edited:
I have a turkey vests that I put my shells and stuff in.I use a duffel bag to carry my e-call,pistol,gloves,ect in.I just bought a backpack because my other bag was getting kind of warn out so thats what I'll use this year.I think I'll like the backpack alot better.

I use a Nimrod Back scabbard, has loops for spare ammo and a small zip pouch that holds a coyote drag, matches, 3 watt LED flashlight and a candy bar. The shooting sticks go in the scabbard with the rifle, whirling woody gets clipped to the lip of the sabbard and the the M-1 Bandit goes into a small shoulder bag or belt bag.

http://www.nimrodpacks.com/hunt/HandsFree.html

AWS

When I first started calling coyotes I didn't "need" a butt pack, backpack, or anything to carry stuff in. I carried three mouth calls, my rifle, and extra ammo was carried in my coverall or pants pockets.

Then I bought a FOXPRO ecaller. I purchased a small butt pack and carried the FOXPRO in that and the remote in one of my coverall pockets.

Next, I purchased a digital camera that I wanted to carry with on my hunts and needed a bigger butt pack for that and my FOXPRO.

A while later I decided to purchase a Leica 1200 range finder and needed to carry that along too. I also felt I needed some room to carry extra batteries for the caller and remote, a bunch of the custom-made calls I had purchased also needed to come along on my hunts, and for hunts when the weather was still somewhat warm in the fall, I needed room to carry some liquid refreshments. That necessitated purchasing a backpack.

I have a desert camo backpack done in the digital pattern for fall hunting. My wife made a white cover to go over that backpack for when I am out in the winter in the snow. I haven't weighed that backpack, but it is plenty heavy, but it is handy to have all that "stuff" along when you need it.

I also carry along a roll of TP, face netting, my Caldwell Wind Wizard, extra knife, tweezers to pull out the cactus stickers, some cookies or even a sandwich if I am going to go out for a long hike. I carry the round base for my tripod that I use to set my FOXPRO up on to get it off the ground and improve the communication between it and the remote. In the summer when I am out prairie dog shooting, I carry a couple containers of water as well as lots of extra ammo.

The backpack is probably not the handiest to get in and out of in a hurry, but I have been able to get my rifle up and pick off a few (not all) of the coyotes that I have scared up while walking in to a calling spot. I am going to start carrying my S&W Model 686 .357 Magnum revolver along when coyote hunting because of the cougars we have up here in North Dakota. I'll carry that revolver in a holster on my belt so a butt pack would make it extremely difficult (if not impossible) to get that revolver out in a hurry, so I'll most likely stay with the backpack.

I went with an Eberlestock pack. it has the built in gun scabbard so it leaves my hand free to climb and I can pull the gun out without having to take the pack off my back.
not alot of pockets but it holds everyting I need for a day hunt and I can add molle pockets for morr room if needed.
renegde

I'm using Cabela's leather bottom pack with the Buddy Lok system that lets you configure by snapping on pouches. I've used the same pack elk hunting for over 10 years and it's just wearing out now (fabric's getting thin where my back rubs it). All the zippers still work and it's still waterproof. I'm amazed how it's held up, because it's been heavily abused in heavy brush and rain. For the money, it's outstanding.

This one:

Cabelas Deluxe Whitetail Pack
The most interesting one I've seen is the Redfrog pack with the folding seat, I can see the beauty in that for predator hunting. He posted pics on here a couple of times, but I never could figure out how to order one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
I might be talked out of my Cabelas pack for one of those. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

HERES WHAT i HAVE BEEN USEING FOR YEARS . i HATE A PACK AND i DONT LIKE FANNY BAGS AS I DONT WANT ANYTHING THAT I CANNOT REACH AND I DONT WANT TO TAKE IT OFF TO DRIVE FROM SET TO SET . THIS RIG HOLDS MY FOX PRO , EXTRA AMMO AND CLIP, EXTRA BATTERIES, DIG. CAMERA, FACE MASK AND GLOVES, HUNTING LIC. AND HAS ROOM FOR MORE. VERY COMFY TO WEAR AS WELL . LOOK AT THE ROCKY UNDER SPORTSMAN http://summitequipment.com/

My son gave me a small pack he used in Iraq w/a camelpack in it, nice padded shoulder & waist belts, comfy as heck. Perfect & roomy for all my stuff on my hunts/shoots.

MYPICS1147.jpg

Back