AZ full moon was good to me

TAA

The full moon didn't seem to effect the coyotes in eastern arizona Friday. I slept in, not getting on the 1st stand until 7am. The crows came out in force, 25-30 at least but no coyotes. A few howled in the distance as I left.

The next stand is right along a hi voltage power line. It makes some crakling noise but I've really done well in pockets along its path. I started out with baby cottontails and this big female came in within 3 minutes. She was dumped within 15' of the call.

8thcoyotefall2008.jpg

The next stand was in a bunch of dead cedar trees. The grass has yet to be grazed and its over a foot tall. I was 10 minutes into the call when this young male showed up. He saw me move to get into postion and hung up behind a tree. I tried to squeek him in but he turned to leave and stopped at 110 yards for one last look when the 50 gran hollow point dumped him.

9thcoyote2008fall.jpg

The 4th stand was back along the power lines. I walked down a canyon where good visibility and thick cover game me an ideal stand location. The crows again flocked around in unreal numbers. About 15 minutes into the stand I see a flash of ears coming through the thick stuff and get ready. This little female pops out and I dump her at 20 yards.

10thcoyote2008fall.jpg

It was lunch time and I had to feed some cows so I headed out. I wish the story would have ended there. I made 3 more stands in the afternoon and missed two easy shots.

We have a huge storm coming today and I think that more than anything helped. The weather was overcast and warm as well. All the coyotes except the 2nd one came straight to the call without hesitation. Just one of those days when the coyotes respond.

Good story, good pictures. I have found that the yotes move well right before a front moves in, and it appears you had the same results. Good going!

TAA, you'll find coyote calling under a full moon "at night" is not the best time to hunt, you don't have to worry about that in Arizona though.

I have always said hunting coyotes during the day when the moon is full has been good to me and many of my friends.

I believe I know the reason for it but that's another story.........Keep up the good hunting

Good for you man we hunted hard here in Utah all day and nothing didn't even see a yote. Just one of those days you don't see anything i guess.

Very god job and nice pics! I am still trying to figger out how to get pics posted on my comments. I will figure it out!

Yes, I am with you that there is not ALWAYS poor hunting the day after a full moon. Some of us may have experienced that, some of us haven't. Usually the only things that prevent me from going out hunting are no cash for gas, no cash for rounds, or no friends with cash! lol

I'm new to all of this so everything I say is pure unadulterated speculation, but it seems to me that a coyote will pounce on any opportunity for a meal that is screaming in his home range. I would think that even a full coyote that is busting at the seems from a full moon hunt would take a wounded rabbit and bury it for a meal later in the day. Maybe there are exceptions like an educated coyote or something to that effect.

Back