at what age did you start reloading ? poll

Originally Posted By: 5.56YoteKiller16.
1st equipment was a Lee hand loader. Crude, but it worked.
Yikes...42 yrs. ago.

Here's a pic of the Lee hand loader for those who have never seen one. High Tech..................

leehandloader.jpg

I was around 12 when I started loading 12Ga with the same loader...

I started helping my dad when I was about 10. He shot pistol competition with the search and rescue so we did a lot of loading. We loaded a lot of rifle rounds also. I have been doing it now for 36 years. I enjoy sitting down and working up some loads.

16 years old

37 years ago, almost exactly

Not a day of forum reading goes by that I don't learn more about what to do and what not to do with it too.

I've have seen forum members become "experts" in a matter of a few short weeks. They go from "where do I start" to giving out advise in the process.

Point being you never stop learning and just about the time you think you kinow it all, you find out you don't.

Started out with shotgun shells on a 5 station Pacific 166, also had Lee Load all for 20 ga. shotgun. Shortly moved on to metalics in 38 sp and .308 Win. Nowadays I have 27 sets of dies and powder/primer/bullets to be considered a SABLE. (supply abundance beyond life expectancy)

Last edited:
I started loading for my 308 when I was 16 years old with a Lee Hand Loader like that shown on the top of this page. Crude but it worked. I still have that rifle and I have Lee as well. I really thought I was Big Time when I bought my first press. So that makes 42 years I have hand loaded.

PaPa 260

14 is when i started puting mine own together and I did a "how to" on reloading my freshman year cant do that these days id get arrested but as long as I can remember I helped my dad trim sort and resize and now my 3 year old son know how to spin a trimmer

I was 12 or 13 so its been 38 years for me to. I was helpin my dad younger than that but on my own it 12 or 13 and i was loading for a 20 H&R shotgun and a Marlin 336 30/30.

Last edited:
18 for me and I am now 52

My Daughter at age 2 was fascinated with reloading and she is now 26 shooting some rounds she loaded at age 2, with a lot of help of course.

35. I bought a 30-06 because I always wanted one. After shooting about 5 boxes of shells in the first month I new I had to reload if I was to continue to afford it. That was 4 years ago.

Last edited:
I think I was 10-13 years old. We had a number of Purple Martin houses that were simply terrorized by starlings and house sparrows. I remember my dad showing me how to "roll" crimp the shells, rather than the star crimp of today. We had C-H equipment.

At about 15 or 16, the bug hit hard and I got a couple of MEC reloaders as well as a brand new Forster Co-AX. Best press still in my opinion. Dad wasn't too good on the metallic shell reloading, and pretty much left that "chore" up to me.

We'd bust clays on the drop of a dime, hunted ducks with a vengeance, and just plinked whenever our hearts desired. Those were the days, and I've never shot better than then.
Now it's tougher to find a place to shoot due to where I live, but I still like to tinker on the bench whenever I can.

Just got a Sako 308, so it looks like back to man land to work up a few recipes.

My 3 year old daughter loves to help me reload, see has been asking me all week if I got my reloading stuff yet. I am out of 22 cal V max but I plan to pick some up tomorrow. Out of my 4 kids she is the only one who shows an interest and man does it make daddys heart feel good !!

Back