Arizona Four Dog Morning

bird dog 3

Today was a gorgeous Arizona day with a light breeze and a slight overcast keeping the temps in check as it is still to warm for this time of the year. Started the morning off with a single male on the first stand with the FP playing a bird sound. The second stand was a bust called in the Boarder Patrol and they were off as soon as they decided that I wasn't a threat. Stand 3 produced a double and the first one died inches from FP--JIB and the second one wouldn't stop no matter what I hollered at it so I put a Texas Hart shot on it and it was so centered that I couldn't determine the sex until I got it back to the truck. Both were Males and they came to the FP sound Prairie dog distress. Stand 4 was a bust. stand 5 produced a female at the 15 minute mark with the FP playing Jackrabbit distress. This coyote wore me out looking for it as it was shot with the Bnellie shotgun and I thought it was laying there dead but when I looked back it was gone. I thought it dropped down in a ditch I followed it down a good 1/2 mile and found nothing two many tracks to determine if I was following the same coyote. I kept circling and checking feeder ditches but nothing. I was just about ready to give up when I felt I could smell it and I found it and I embarrassed to say it was only 90 ft from the call.
First picture is from where I was set up and you can see the Turkey feathers on the JIB dead center of picture

[image]
IMG_0180.jpg
[/image]

Second picture is the JIB and how close the coyote got to it before it went to sleep

[image]http://
IMG_0181.jpg
[/image]

And the Hero shot

[image]
IMG_0186.jpg
[/image]

Way to go! I really like the idea of the turkey feather duster on the JIB. I bet it has some good action.

Thanks for sharing.

Tony

Roger you're really killing them! Awesome looking picture with the 4 dogs hanging from the gate.

Nice thick beautiful calling country. If you care, careful with the background in your pictures. I know others in that contest who'd love to get the kills you are racking up.

Congrats!

Oh great. I just get back in from a day of hunting today and see that birddog blasts four dogs. My day was not so harvestful. I just bought a Gametraks call and used it today for the first time (not sure I like it).
On stand one, at 9m, as I am fumbling with the remote, I look up and see a dog looking at me at 20yds. You know the deal, the statuesque staredown. He stands there, looks away, and as I try to slowly maneuver myself, the afterburners kick in and it's over. My bud and I make 17 more sets and never see a thing. I heard a few howls that AM, but that was it.
At 3, we head back towards town and try one more area. We make 4 stands. A no show first stand and a double comes in on the second as my friend shoots one. Nothing on the third and then 2 hang up at 400plus on the last stand. As Bruce Hornsby sings, "that's just the way it is."

But not for Birddog!!! Congrats.

Maybe I'll have better luck tomorrow in Ca.

Love those dead yotes, and I like that feather duster idea, too. And Scott's right about the background - plenty of guys who'll be scoutin for your spots.

I tell ya, you southern AZ guys have it made! Everyone thinks the yotes are up here in the north for some reason, and while we kill plenty, it's hard to compete against 4 a day - day after day!

Cannot use any part of a game bird or nongame bird for bait in AZ. If you use bird feathers on your decoy, it cannot be from a turkey because that is a game bird. The statute in the AZ hunting regulations is ARS 17-309A19. Best to use feathers from an exotic bird like an ostrich to be legal.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Cannot use any part of a game bird or nongame bird for bait in AZ. If you use bird feathers on your decoy, it cannot be from a turkey because that is a game bird. The statute in the AZ hunting regulations is ARS 17-309A19. Best to use feathers from an exotic bird like an ostrich to be legal.

Hope this helps.

This is what I like about this forum you can learn a lot from its members. I looked up the regulations ARS 17-309A19 and it gave me some concern as to the fact that I might be breaking the law so I talked to the AGF about what I was doing with the Turkey feathers here at the Regional Office here in Tucson and the gal at the counter and a law enforcement officer said I wasn't breaking any laws in the way I am using the turkey feathers but for safety reasons and the possibility the next enforcement officer might look at it differently I will be changing my feathers and getting them from a exotic bird and I am darn sure I don't want anyone who reads this post to have any problems with the AGF. The regulation is a catch all type of law but no one wants to get bit by it. So thank you for bring it to my attention. I will be keeping the name of the people that made the call in my situation as to their interpretation of the regulation
Thanks ---am a knight
BD3

Quote:

Hope this helps.

WOW, you just made #1 on my "you suck a$$ list" congrats.

Can't wait till you post some pictures of your kills.. say 'hi' to PETA for me.

Quote:
Quote:

Hope this helps.

WOW, you just made #1 on my "you suck a$$ list" congrats.

Can't wait till you post some pictures of your kills.. say 'hi' to PETA for me.

Andy, why on earth would you make a comment like that towards an individual who posted information trying to make sure another hunter doesn't get in trouble with AZG&F? He ended his comment with "Hope this helps." It doesn't take a mental giant to realize he was trying to help a fellow hunter out.

??????????????????????

Congrats on the 4 dogs! I was only trying to be helpful on the bird feathers. I think prohibiting bird parts for bait is a reminant law from the good old days when trapping was allowed in AZ. The intent might have been to prevent the unintentional capture/killing of birds caught in leghold traps. What we need is trapping to be allowed again in AZ so the laws aren't so goofy for predator callers.

Back