Archery deer Harvest thread~

My archery buck. I am starting more and more to look for mature mulies over antler size. Well this guy was definitely mature/probably on the down hill slide.

At first light we were looking over a huge valley. My buddy Knaper also had a tag and his uncle was along for the heck of it. After spotting for an hour we found this buck bedded. We looked him over, noted he was nothing real impressive, but appeared to have good mass. We watched him get up and feed for a bit and then re-bed in a higher location with a better view. After not seeing any other deer. From our advantage point we moved spots and looked over 2 other areas without seeing any deer at all. At this point it was nearing late morning and the animal activity was sure to drop off. we made plans to go look over some different country that was a good drive away. Before we went I had to take one more look at this buck and see if I could put a hunt together. When we got back out to our high spot we found the buck where we had left him, resting a top a knob. I decided to make a move and try for him. I circled off the ridge top and into the valley. I snuck along a wash for a bit, closing the distance to about 200 yards. At this point the cut bank in the wash ran out leaving me in the open. The buck was pretty comfortable at this point, head slowly bobbing in the warm sun. I had about 40 yards of wide open ground to cover most of which was in his view if he were to look up. I decided to crawl my way into more cover. Very slowly I crawled one hand, one leg at a time. After each movement I would sit and wait, watching to see if he looked over. About 3/4 of the way across the flat an eagle flew close to him and caused him to become alert and stand up. I was still not to cover and pretty much in the open. The buck looked around for a bit then started feeding. As his head was down I would move if it came up I froze. eventually I made it to some cover.

At this point I had closed the 1 mile gap down to around 130 yards. Using cover I closed in to about 80 yards. The ground was noise boots under my boots so I took them off and continued in my socks. I kept moving very slowly one bush to the next until I ran out of cover again. At this point the buck had made it into the the same wash I was in earlier. It however had made a cut bank again that was about 3 feet deep. the buck was in the bottom of the cut bank as I made my final move across about 40 yards of open ground.

When I got close I drew my bow and walked 1 step at a time trying to see the buck in the cut. I stepped around 1 bush and there he was, feeding head down at 12 yard.

I took my aim and let the arrow fly. It was a great shot through both lungs. The arrow went clean through and burried it self into the far bank. My buddy and his uncle watched it all from way up on teh ridge. In fact my buddies uncle even saw the arrow go clean through the buck. They both watched the buck run for about 60 yards and pile up. I did a little happy dance while they pulled the truck around.

Got the truck to about 15 yards from where the buck died, took pictures and loaded him up. It was a great hunt, one that all 3 of us will remember and talk about for years.

Again not the biggest rack, but one of my best deer stories yet. He is a very mature buck and actually eats pretty good.

Hope u enjoy: He is also my first archery deer.
1315279769.jpg

Here is a pic of me in the stalk... The deer is just to my left in the creek. Also nothing in the area is taller than about waist high. So when I ran out of cover that means there was nothing at all.
1315279776.jpg

Last edited:
Diamond- Black Ice
67lbs
Rage 2 blade 100gr
Black Gold 5 pin site (all green.)
Easton Axis arrows

Leica Ultravids 7*42 binos.

Shot was roughly 10-12yds.

She ran roughly 70yds.

c2ed572a.jpg

Well since it was a doe I didn't bother taking a picture of her.
Last Saturday morning she came in with two other slick heads heading to the bedding area where I have a seat strapped to a tree on a small bluff overlooking an open area on the northeast corner. She worked her way around the far edge of the clearing then stopped in a shooting lane just my side of a tree that marks 40 yards. I held high with my 30 yard pin and fired. As the arrow flew toward the doe she attempted to run. As she moved forward, the arrow hit her in the rear hip. The doe ran to the west into the bedding area with my CX Maxima sticking out of her. Luckily I hit both femeral arteries and the doe only went about 80 yards. She left a 10 inch wide blood trail from where she was hit to where she fell. The broadhead was protruding from her opposite side.
Matthews Z-7, Carbon Exp Maxima, Muzzy 100 3 blade

Same bow and gear as above.

10/20/11- Shot this doe yesterday evening in the rain, lost blood since I didn't pack a light and had to swing to the house to get one. Recovered her today. 2" Rage screws them up!
aac7f042.jpg

Shot this doe this evening, 10/21/11.

PA210310.jpg

Originally Posted By: borkonseal, you needs to work on shot placement!!
ohmy.gif

First doe I'll agree. It wasn't a perfect shot. I didn't take account the 15-20mph winds from the other night when I shot her. When it hit her, I knew she was hit too far back.

2nd doe, that's the exit shot. Entrance was through the other lung...

Both deer, dead, and recovered... Lemme guess, you've "never" made a bad shot?

My freezer isn't complaining.

That freezer is filling up isn't it!! lol

My wife finally got a shot at a doe last night but missed. She claims a skunk had her distracted...lol. We will try again this evening.

nailed this guy yesterday evening with little shooting light left! there are a few bucks in this area that have rubbed down all the trees by my bait pile and created a scrape under a white oak 100 yds down a trail. seen him and a much bigger 10 fighting some 40 yds out a couple days ago.

hellrazor 125' complete pass through, a little far back but a double lung. he was on the trot and i tried to stop him so my arrow went a tad back. 15 yard shot ran about 100 yads into some brier and took a dirt nap.

a nice 7 point for this area of pressured deer! thanks tim neitzke and mark2 for the advice same as last year!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/856/102411399.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/716/102411396.jpg/

nice deer SS110, man you sure are smokin them does. i bet your freezer is complaining, but only because its getting full with venison
thumbup.gif

Nice buck lonnie, you use that drag yet buddy? just wondering if the dang thing works or not.lol.

friend got a nice bobcat when we were out calling last jan " guessing 20 to 22 lbs" and we used the drag! worked perfect!
smile.gif

Last edited:
Lonnie, Nice buck, congrats.

Fin, nope, the freezer isn't complaining, nor am I. Went out tonight and seen some nice breeders, but everything was out of range except for a dink yearling under the stand. I'd like to whack a few more before the does get breed. Still waiting for some big horns to walk by. Seen some nice "shooters" during the first week of bow when the deer were still on their summer feeding schedules, but they were always just outside bow. First week of Nov is going to be good. Rut will be in full draw here and I can't wait.

Fri morning was a cold one 28* and calm.
Had 4 deer in and I shot this one,a good eating size doe !
18ish yards 70# Hoyt and a 100 gr Slick Trick.
IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0646.jpg

Back