ARCA Rail

greengt88

Could use some advice on ARCA rails.
Would like to attach it to a Boyd's Laminate stock for use on a tripod.
I'm undecided on which tripod if that's a factor.
Thinking of using a 3-6" section of rail.
Unsure which rail and best way to attach it.
Rifle is a Savage 11 with Blind mag.
Pics and advice would be greatly appreciated

Could use some advice on ARCA rails.
Would like to attach it to a Boyd's Laminate stock for use on a tripod.
I'm undecided on which tripod if that's a factor.
Thinking of using a 3-6" section of rail.
Unsure which rail and best way to attach it.
Rifle is a Savage 11 with Blind mag.
Pics and advice would be greatly appreciated
I installed the SRS 4" arca rail on my bolt action, there's a few options for rails and here's a link for some studying. I'll see if I can find the install video too... Rails – Salmon River Solutions

If you have aluminum in your stock you can also use 1/4-20 bolts instead of "T-nuts". I should also note the SRS 4" rail is made for stocks with a radius.

Last edited:
I went with an 8" Area419 rail. Wanted to attach to a carbon fiber stock and not drill holes. I removed the front two swivel studs and attached the rail there with 2 screws provided. Being an 8" rail, it extends some to the rear from the rear swivel stud. Works great, and with a leveling head, the rifle locks up tight.

Stock is a Boyd’s laminate stock, no aluminum in the forend. I have about 5” of usable space that screws would be far enough forward from the recoil lug and barrel nut.
IMG_5222.jpeg

Easy, buy a 4-5" flat rail. Most come with screws and "T" nuts. Drill two holes, you may recess some in the barrel channel, and mount it up. Go hunting.

Like to see how this turns out for you as I have a Boyds stock too on a 788.
It's even the same color as yours. Mine is thumbhole version and very over entire forearm all the way back to the mag cutout, think a flat arca rail would be best option, maybe just lay down a skim coat of jb weld before tightening up the screws. I was going to use some h.d. 10/32 nuts in stock counterbores, with a washer below the nut, then jb weld the bolt hole gap and the nuts any voids after fitting and on finale assembly. For reference a h.d. nut is generally one wrench size larger than a standard nut. There about dang near a inch worth of wood in barrel channel, and figured to just get the nuts slightly deeper than the barrel channel leaving as much wood thickness as possible between bottom of nut and outside of forearm. Prolly overkill but my past live of longliner coon trapper all my sheet had to be "coontrapper tough" which is 2 to 3 levels tougher than mil-spec toughness grade. Add in a little hillbilly clumsy to the mix, and flimzy breakable stuff just doesn't cut it...lol.

Like to see how this turns out for you as I have a Boyds stock too on a 788.
It's even the same color as yours. Mine is thumbhole version and very over entire forearm all the way back to the mag cutout, think a flat arca rail would be best option, maybe just lay down a skim coat of jb weld before tightening up the screws. I was going to use some h.d. 10/32 nuts in stock counterbores, with a washer below the nut, then jb weld the bolt hole gap and the nuts any voids after fitting and on finale assembly. For reference a h.d. nut is generally one wrench size larger than a standard nut. There about dang near a inch worth of wood in barrel channel, and figured to just get the nuts slightly deeper than the barrel channel leaving as much wood thickness as possible between bottom of nut and outside of forearm. Prolly overkill but my past live of longliner coon trapper all my sheet had to be "coontrapper tough" which is 2 to 3 levels tougher than mil-spec toughness grade. Add in a little hillbilly clumsy to the mix, and flimzy breakable stuff just doesn't cut it...lol.
I actually just installed sling swivel studs in my 788 today, it’s a 1st year production .222 with walnut stock.
I’m going to go with a flat rail from Salmon River, and let my gunsmith install it on the Boyd’s as I don’t have a drill press and think it will turn out much better for the countersink in the barrel channel.

Back