Ar15-Flow through vs traditional suppressors

sethperry

Looking to pick up my first suppressor...and im on the fence between a huxwrx 7.62 or dead air nomad 30 or nomad XC or similar suppressors with baffles...
I will be shooting AR15's.. 556 7.62x39 an some type of 6mm for predator hunting... they all will have adjustable gas blocks gas buster charging handles.... i don't go out an do mag dumps anymore...
People seem to like the huxwrx because there is no need for tuning.... but idk if that what I should get for a hunting scenario... I have the adjustable gas blocks and the charging handles that help keep gas away from your face...
Does anyone have the huxwrx and a more traditional suppressor? Which one would you recommend for hunting?

IMO flow through is marketing and the decibel reduction is not on par with a quality designed baffle or traditional design.
That is kinda how I'm seeing it... but I do not have any personal experience with them...
I wish I could could try both before I get one..

Lots of unbiased testers have shot them with meters and the flow through design is always substantially louder, definitely not something I'm interested in as a hunter or long range shooter.

I will say that I don’t have a flow thru so no first hand experience…but from what I’ve seen it seems like the flow thrus are way louder. I prefer the quieter can of traditional even if it’s dirtier in an ar

But do they reduce gas to the face and a cleaner gun in comparison?

That's OSSs claims but honestly who cares?? Nobody I know of yet has died from gas in their face or said it really messes with them. An adjustable gas block and gas buster charging handle rids that "issue" anyway. It's definitely not a big issue, just something for marketing IMO.

As for being cleaner it probably is because of the reduced blowback but I have ZERO problems running a couple hundred rounds in a DI AR and no issues.

The thing that's not mentioned much is the reduction of heat, that's probably the biggest advantage of flow throughs and the biggest advantage a flow through design would be on a belt fed machine gun. On a bolt or semi it is drastically outperformed by traditional baffles.

Those in tactical situations might benefit from less gas in the face. Again its preference as to the shooter and the situation in which you intend to use it.

Those in tactical situations have been running Ops, Surefire, AACs and many others that use traditional baffles for decades successfully with no intentions of changing. Most of those guys are running eyepro as well, ALL of us are issued it and most if us choose to wear it so again, gas in the face is a non issue.

Trapping gas is the whole point of suppression but it's a double edged sword because you are also trapping heat. Beltfeds get VERY hit very fast and that's what drove companies to use metals like Stelite, Inconel and others that withstand high temperatures. Allowing the gas to flow also reduces heat but also increases noise, its simple physics.

The first OSS I played with years ago was way louder, way bigger and way heavier than any suppressor I'd seen, ZERO sex appeal to me, not to mention very expensive.

Lots of unbiased testers have shot them with meters and the flow through design is always substantially louder, definitely not something I'm interested in as a hunter or long range shooter.
I have seen at the muzzle the flow through is louder.....but then supposedly at the ear they meter more quiet than traditional.... on gas guns anyway...

I'm not for our against flow though cans. Just stating that they do what they advertise and some may and obviously do want those features.
You obviously aren't one of those who do and neitheram i. But there is obviously a market for them or new ones wouldn't be being invented and produced all the time. Let the buyer be i formed and decide for themselves is all im saying.

I'm not for our against flow though cans. Just stating that they do what they advertise and some may and obviously do want those features.
You obviously aren't one of those who do and neitheram i. But there is obviously a market for them or new ones wouldn't be being invented and produced all the time. Let the buyer be i formed and decide for themselves is all im saying.

I agree with you but the OP is wanting something for predator hunting and needs to hear real world experience from guys that aren't biased or trying to sell them something and these companies that are using flow through designs are NOT going to offer optimal performance for predator hunting, regardless of what they say in advertising or who's on their prostaff...

I agree with you but the OP is wanting something for predator hunting and needs to hear real world experience from guys that aren't biased or trying to sell them something and these companies that are using flow through designs are NOT going to offer optimal performance for predator hunting, regardless of what they say in advertising or who's on their prostaff...
I believe you're right.. I don't think i ever realkt seen a flow through design an hunting ever said in the same sentence.... I'll probably go with the nomad XC an do what I can to get rid of the gas blow back... I'll do some more digging.... but the traditional is probably the way to go....

I believe you're right.. I don't think i ever realkt seen a flow through design an hunting ever said in the same sentence.... I'll probably go with the nomad XC an do what I can to get rid of the gas blow back... I'll do some more digging.... but the traditional is probably the way to go....
I’ve seen Al Morris of Foxpro using the huxwrks cans and he seems to rave about them. Says they are great. But he also is probably sponsored by them. To me even in their videos his gun sounds loud with it on.

Last edited:
I’ve seen Al Morris of Foxpro using the OSS cans and he seems to rave about them. Says they are great. But he also is probably sponsored by them. To me even in their videos his gun sounds loud with it on.
Lol thats the problem.... I hear great things about huxwrx.... but idk who is being paid by them... I just wish I knew someone who has the huxwrx then also has a nomad or diligent defense or cgs or similar silencers...

Steve's Outdoor Adventure also uses flow through but also a sponsor.

Are they sponsors because they actually believe in the product or simply because they help pay the bills?

Lol thats the problem.... I hear great things about huxwrx.... but idk who is being paid by them... I just wish I knew someone who has the huxwrx then also has a nomad or diligent defense or cgs or similar silencers...
There is some pretty cool technology these guys are using. 3d printing designs isn't just a marketing gimmick, the internal capabilities I have seen is going to be very effective for multiple weapon systems that normally have major issues with suppressors, such as the AK, Scar and other Semi auto systems.
It's typical for a "high flow" or "flow through" design to be louder, simply because it's designed to let more gas through, BUT it 100% is functional for that reason. Might not be the quietest, but your platform will run, and it will run cleaner, and more reliable, period.

The baffle design in the suppressor I designed with SRT doesn't make sense to machine, it would take to long, and cost the consumer way to much, so it's cast Ti. With this new tech, we can 3d print the can with a plethora of new internal configurations.

If you want a cleaner running AR, a more reliable running AR, don't overlook CGS, HUX, CAT, even Surefires RC3 has 3d printed components.

IF you want a quieter can, don't go with a flow through.

IMHO if you're trying to optimize your system for sound suppression, use a bolt gun with a good caliber specific can.

Back