ar 15 chassis calibers?

dog driller

I was talking with a friend and were discussing different calibers in ar 15. at this point i had never given it much thought as i thought all were ar 15 .. wrong thought. my question is what calibers in the ar15 chassis are there without going to custom built, besides .223, 6.8 spc, 300 whisper, 300blk. seems like the other calibers get into bigger heavier frames. a lot depends on the bullet length having to add more frame material etc. thanks in advance for any info.

Originally Posted By: Squeeze
6mm WOA(White Oak Armament)

I have the 6x45.. Grendels.. And just two weeks ago had a 6WOA built and I really do like it a lot so far.

Don't forget the 50 BMG, 416 barrett, 408 cheytac, 338 Lapua (first 4 are single shots, but off a AR 15 chassis), 6mm rat, 25x45, 7.62x40, 7.62x39, 6mm turbo, 6mmbr, 22br, 30 RAR, 30br, all the DTI calibers, 17-223....the list goes on and on.

as a person that does not reload the 6.8 spc is looking like a caliber that has off the shelf ammo potential and a decent selection of rifles. not so sure about some of the other calibers.

6.8 is a nice choice. You can always buy another upper at a later date. The 6.8 will give you more options for bigger game also. Without jumping up into an AR10, 6.8 is the way to go in my opinion. If I had to have one caliber in an AR15 I would choose 6.8 now.

Originally Posted By: dog drilleras a person that does not reload the 6.8 spc is looking like a caliber that has off the shelf ammo potential and a decent selection of rifles. not so sure about some of the other calibers.

I have a 6.8 barrel on order for a build for that reason to a point. I am set up to reload but plan on starting with factory ammo since this will not be a plinking rifle. If I can get it to shoot with factory than not sure I will reload for it. Same thought on why I also bought a 204 barrel, although that one I expect to reload for, to try to maximize long range accuracy.

Matt D

the grendel ballistics look real good. i like ar15 lighter weight --- but who knows what i might like after i shot 6.8 or grendel. been listening to a friend who has experience with 6.8 as my reference he has not shot grendel. loves 6.8 over 5.56. from ahunting stand point 6.8 looks a little better for what i would want. how about twist in a 6.8? see a few different ones 9, 10, 11, 12. was thinking 11 would be a good choice. only from what i have read. thanks for the comments

400 yds would be longest - most being 50-150 yds. currently i shoot a 270 with psp when i hit them drt. surprisingly 270 does not do to much damage even though i do not save fur. i have no experience with the 223. i like the low recoil and ammo availibity of 223. the 6.8 spc intrigued me being ar15 chassis and with more knock down. hopefully ammo will be readily available long term -- i do not reload.

that is what i was thinking. seems as though the 6.8 spc ballistics get better with a longer barrel. so i was looking pretty hard at the Stag Arms model 7 with 20" barrel. i have not heard anything about this model. also was trying to figure out if it was piston or gas operated.

Back