AR 10 243 Powders

Superlative Arms is pretty specific in not to run their GB in any way other than the bleed off mode.

Start in the middle of the adjustment range, and open (bleed off) from there.

I talked to a tech about that (before I installed) and the main reason they suggest the bleed-off is because it is not likely to seize (adjustment threads are not exposed). He recommended to use anti-seize (needs to be reapplied every so often) as that is what he does.

I get your point and why I mentioned fouling, however, I don't like the idea of blowing hot gases and fouling under the handguard. The main reason is because I like wrapping my hand around the front of the handguard when shooting freehand.

Last edited:
Varget w/ 87 grain V-max Range Report:

Worked up slowly @ .2 grains at a time. 4 of 6 groups were .223"-.373", group 5 .440" and group 6 .769" all at 100 yds. 34.8-35.6 grains (node) seems to be the sweet spot @ 2902-2973 fps out of the 20" (Suppressed) barrel. Anything above that starts showing light swipes and 36.5 gr and above starts raising burrs.

Disclaimer: These are my loads/results out of my gas gun and may not be safe in yours so use at your own risk (not recommended).

I replaced the standard carbine round wire buffer spring with a Tubbs carbine flat wire spring, adjusted the GB (had to increase gas) with fouling/sighters shots and ejection was between 3-4 with most landing at 3:30.

I will continue to test the loads (load in the middle of the nodes) using both H4350 and Varget until I feel confident in the one that is most consistent (repeatable) at various distances.

I really appreciate everyone's input and suggestions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 204 ARYou're right on the money between 41 and 42 gr H4350 with the 87s. I would have expected another 100 fps though but it might speed up after a few rounds. My DPMS is at about 3070 with 42 gr. You can also expect dirty cases shooting suppressed as I'm sure you know, however that load won't leave a lot of bore fouling in the way of carbon. I put about 50 rounds thru mine last weekend fine tuning the Eliminator on p-dogs and the bore, as usual with this powder, cleaned up very easily. Varget tends to be clean also. I wish I could find a small case powder that burned as clean.

The downside to this round is that you come to appreciate the efficiency of the rounds based on the Grendel and 6.8 case, as they'll send an 87 at 2900 with 28 gr of powder with double the barrel life. I just haven't had one that's as consistently accurate as my 243's.

You're on it. The velocities increased somewhere between 150-250 rounds down range. 5 shots produced an average velocity of 3095 (87 V-Max) with an ES 85 & SD 29.1 with 41.5 grains of H4350/87 V-Max which is still a little hot for my setup as there are hard swipes and light burrs on some of the brass.

35 grains/87 V-max of Varget 5 shots 2914 fps with an ES 12 & SD 4.8.

Both charges produced under 1/2-3/4 MOA constantly @ 100- 500 yds with Varget being just a little more consistent over-all. Got my dope chart done (confirmed).

Note: 5 shots performed with 30 minute cool downs between each suppressed group session (various times of day with some days being hotter, varying humidity and winds (0-8 mph).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wily yoteI know this is an older thread but what barrel twist are you running?

X-Caliber 20' w/ 10T

Originally Posted By: TXCOONDOGOriginally Posted By: Kino MNot sure if your dead set on a particular bullet but Varget does great with the lighter and medium bullets in 243. Around 44gr will be what you want if you are running 55/58s. My load in 3 different 243 ar10 barrels (1 proof, 2 Xcaliber) is 43.8gr with a 58vmax. All 3 shoot 3/4 or better. This was my first year running that combo because it was available. I would think the Nosler would be better but they have been hard to find. Disclaimer as its definitely not fur friendly but honestly nothing in 243 really is!

Another thing to note is I put a medium crimp on them with the Lee FCD. The cycling action of an AR10 is pretty violent so to ensure the bullet doesn't get pushed in during cycling I recommend this extra step for the big ARs.

I wanted something fast and flat for thermal hunting, I killed 153 coyotes with that particular load this year and it works very very well. To 300yds is simply point and shoot.

I run H4350 in 243 but only with the heavies, it has a slower burn rate and is money for the 105 class stuff, but not fast enough on the light bullets IMO.

The Mapul 10rd mags is what I run and I've never had a failure of any kind so I see no need to change.

I ordered five boxes of the 58 V-Max to play around with this summer.

Are you running a COL of 2.600" or?

I run Lapua brass in my Bolt Actions. However, I'm concerned that the AR might be hard on brass. Just curious what everyone is running in your 10 and how has brass life been?

Great to hear your "new" 1952 released grandpa cartridge is coming together nicely!

To answer your question on brass life, mine has been surprisingly very good. I'm running a 22" barrel with a plus 2" gas system and adjustable gas block. My fired brass is almost bolt gun clean and thats using a super quiet suppressor with lots of backpressure!

Another little update to this thread is I talked my buddy into the grandpa cartridge and we set his up with 55gr Nosler BTs, 22" Proof, plus 2 gas, same charge of Varget in his AR10 build. It hamners and from hunting with him in Nevada last month the Noslers are WAY better on fur, like way way better. Once I find some ill change over completely to them as the Vmax does shoot well but it really comes apart and makes a huge mess at times.

I have 2 BCA uppers. Both shoot their best so far with H4895 and Varget Along with 60 grain Seirra HPs and 55 grain ballistic tips pushed a hair over book loads. Loads are both well over 4,000 fps. They both like to be run fast for best accuracy…just like both my 243 bolt guns do. My bolt guns favor imr-4831.

I've always used a crimp on my loads, anywhere from light to heavy depending on the caliber and/or application.

Haven't tried anything lighter than 75gr Vmax and 87gr VMAX as most of my shots have been within 225yds and under (most under 100yds). With the 75gr VMAX @ 3400 FPS, a 75 yd zero (scope height of 1.92") and a dead on hold has worked out great for me thus far.

Your input and the information provided is greatly appreciated.
Is this out of your AR platform? What powder are you using? I’ve been using 42.5grs of CFE223 with a 65gr Vmax at 3500fps, much hotter than that I start getting ejector swipes.

I was in the process of building my AR 10. The 75 gr V-Max 3400 velocity was out of a Rem 700 with a CBI barrel. Ssee original post and post 15 is where I started posting some of the results for the AR 10.

In the AR 10, I had to back off and run it 200 FPS slower or I would get ejector marks and/or blown primers. Things have changed, I now have an additional 10,000 acres of open farm land and pastors to hunt. Instead of a 20" barrel, I'm going to run a 24" barrel and try the 65 V-Max and 55 NBT with Varget for a flatter trajectory.

I just installed the 24" barrel a few days ago and tomorrow I will start my break in process of 100 rounds before load development starts.

Note: It's more of a 50 round break in (fire forming brass) and then another 50 rounds of getting the kinks worked out (adjustable GB w/suppressor) and/or getting use to the rifle.

After finding some promising loads at 100 yds, I then use the summer months to shoot the top loads out to 500 yds to see which of them are the most consistent, etc. before my predator season starts in November.

Last edited:
Is anyone running win stab ball 6.5. Hogdon site showing the most fps with that powder for 75/87gr pills. Just curious before I grab a can to test with. Thanks in advance

Is anyone running win stab ball 6.5. Hogdon site showing the most fps with that powder for 75/87gr pills. Just curious before I grab a can to test with. Thanks in advance

I think that powder s supposed to duplicate H4350, with the 87s 4350 works well, with the 75s I'd lean towards Varget. That said both powders will produce good results, the 243 isn't picky.

I think that powder s supposed to duplicate H4350, with the 87s 4350 works well, with the 75s I'd lean towards Varget. That said both powders will produce good results, the 243 isn't picky.
Thanks. I have varget and 4350, just want to make sure I’m gettin most fps I can squeeze out of it.

This is test load of my 243 AR10 with 108 gr with StaBall 6.5 @ 100 yards.
This is from start to just under max loads. But I also have the barrel little faster twist then standard.
Velocities were from 2844 (start) to 3128 (max)
I also done 95 gr SST with velocities of 3288 (start) to 3372(max) with StaBall 6.5 and same group size @ 100 yards

Attachments

• RenderedImage.jpeg
    RenderedImage.jpeg
    73.1 KB · Views: 8
Back