AR 10 .243 Barrel and Trigger

TXCOONDOG

Even though I love my Remington 700 build (shoots .2-.4" groups) in 243, I'm ready to build an AR 10 in 243. I'm going to buy a match set of receivers and handguard.

I pretty much know which parts (buffer system, BCG, adjustable gas block, etc) I want to go with.

The only two items I really need feedback on is the trigger (3lb single stage) and barrel (must be capable of MOA or better).

PS: I have a large amount of 75 & 87 grain V-Max and that is what I'll be using

Last edited:
I'm running an Xcaliber and have had outstanding luck with it. They offer MOA guarantee if its headspaced to a JP or Rubber City bolt.

Its done so well I now have three different buddies that ordered them, all shoot the same load with great results.

I'm a Geissele SSA-E snob on ALL my ARs but there is now lots of different offerings that are good.

I have to give the nod to x caliber as well. I went with a 1-12” 22” .243 and could not be happier. My Elftmann trigger, I wouldn’t recommend no creep and breaks nice just not a fan of their drop in.

I used a McGowen barrel on my 243. It’s MOA no problem. A buddy just bought a bear creek 24” upper in 243 that’s MOA and cost less than my barrel.

My 700 in 243 with suppressor and Thermal weighs 15.5lbs. I can build a lightweight AR 10 around 6lbs and with suppresser and thermal around 9lbs.

Weight can make a difference when carrying distance. However, more weight less recoil to help stay on target in the optic.

Not sure if 5-6lbs less will make a huge difference as far as staying on target in the optic. Of coarse, there's balance of the rifle too. The cost difference in the two builds will be around a $1100 more (Ti parts) for the lightweight build.

I'm a buy once, cry once guy so I need to think about this build a bit more.

Give me your thoughts

PS: I typically walk anywhere from 5- 8 miles a night depending how many stands I make carrying a carbon fiber tripod, Banshee call, thermal handheld and rifle. Even though I'm 52, I work out and feel like I'm in better shape then some guys half my age.

Last edited:
It pays to be in shape. I'm 60, pump iron and ride my pedal bike 7 to 800 miles a summer. My AR 10 is 13.6 empty with no thermal scope. The weight doesn't bother me at all, just a light workout but I might walk a couple miles a night. Sounds like you get a good workout.

You got that right (I use a mountain bike to scout for new ground). I hunt by myself 90% of the time because nobody wants to hunt from dust to dawn with me.

Anyway, carrying all the stuff is not bad (use pack and sling), it's when I kill two or three coyotes and have to drag them back with all the stuff through the mud/water (slipping and sliding) and never fails that I'm at least a mile from the truck (hunt on public land).

I think that I'm going to buy the matching receivers with handguard and install the typical stuff. If weight becomes an issue, I'll start using my 6.8 SPC II or my 30 Saborcat (dasher brass necked up to 30 cal) in AR 15 as they feel like toys compared to my other rifles.

For those who asked about parts for the lieghtweight build:
Note: Some of the lightweight build list comes from someone on another forum that helped me with my 6.8 and 30 Wildcat lightweight builds years ago.

Upper Parts:

2A Armament Xanthos Upper receiver 7075 T6 @ 9.00 ounces
X-Caliber 416R 20 inch fluted barrel @ 35 ounces
2A titanium gas block @ 0.60 ounces
Gas tube mid length @ 0.80 ounces
Clark Custom Aluminum barrel nut @ 1.18 ounces
AR 308 carbon fiber hand guard 1.60 ounces in mid length 10.5 inches
Toolcraft Titanium 308 BCG @ 11.80 ounces with ti firing pin
Vltor charging handle @ 1.25 ounces

Lower Parts:

2A Armament Xanthos lower @ 7.30 ounces
MagPul K grip @ 1.7 ounces
V7 titanium grip screw 0.113 ounces
V7 Mag catch aluminum 0.173 ounces
V7 Aluminum/titanium selector 90 degree 0.293 ounces
V7 aluminum AR 308 takedown pins 0.26 ounces
V7 tool steel bolt catch 0.31 ounces
Smoke Composite stock 3.3 oz.
AR308 carbine buffer (no weights) 0.85 oz.
NF polymer trigger group 0.65 oz with titanium trigger pins
SSA-E trigger group 2.6 ounces with titanium trigger pins
DPMS carbine buffer spring @ 1.5 ounces
Titanium buffer retainer, mag catch plunger

4.5-5.5lbs total (not exactly sure since assembled weight can be different as I learned from my other builds.)

For compatibility with Gen 1 DPMS Pattern and Typical Heavier Weight:

Aero Precision - Match Upper/lower receiver with handguard sets.

Last edited:
I have a plain old 22” Shaw heavy profile on my Aero build. Shooting a Rise Armament Patriot single stage and it shoots great. It’s definitely not the lightest, but this was more of a budget build and it’s a shooter.

Originally Posted By: TXCOONDOGAnyway, carrying all the stuff is not bad (use pack and sling), it's when I kill two or three coyotes and have to drag them back with all the stuff through the mud/water (slipping and sliding) and never fails that I'm at least a mile from the truck (hunt on public land).
I carry a couple pieces of plastic about 3’by 2’ about twice as thick as a garbage bag. A little ball of nylon fishing line. Wrap it around the coyote and a coyote looses 90% of its drag. In snow they pass me going down hill. I used a Rise Armament 140 trigger. Nice trigger for a good price. I also carry 3 or 4 pieces of 4 foot 1/4 nylon rope. A noose to put around their neck and a loop on the other. Way better than trying to hold a leg.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TXCOONDOGFor those who asked about parts for the lieghtweight build:
Note: Some of the lightweight build list comes from someone on another forum that helped me with my 6.8 and 30 Wildcat lightweight builds years ago.

Upper Parts:

2A Armament Xanthos Upper receiver 7075 T6 @ 9.00 ounces
X-Caliber 416R 20 inch fluted barrel @ 35 ounces
2A titanium gas block @ 0.60 ounces
Gas tube mid length @ 0.80 ounces
Clark Custom Aluminum barrel nut @ 1.18 ounces
AR 308 carbon fiber hand guard 1.60 ounces in mid length 10.5 inches
Toolcraft Titanium 308 BCG @ 11.80 ounces with ti firing pin
Vltor charging handle @ 1.25 ounces

Lower Parts:

2A Armament Xanthos lower @ 7.30 ounces
MagPul K grip @ 1.7 ounces
V7 titanium grip screw 0.113 ounces
V7 Mag catch aluminum 0.173 ounces
V7 Aluminum/titanium selector 90 degree 0.293 ounces
V7 aluminum AR 308 takedown pins 0.26 ounces
V7 tool steel bolt catch 0.31 ounces
Smoke Composite stock 3.3 oz.
AR308 carbine buffer (no weights) 0.85 oz.
NF polymer trigger group 0.65 oz with titanium trigger pins
SSA-E trigger group 2.6 ounces with titanium trigger pins
DPMS carbine buffer spring @ 1.5 ounces
Titanium buffer retainer, mag catch plunger

4.5-5.5lbs total (not exactly sure since assembled weight can be different as I learned from my other builds.)

For compatibility with Gen 1 DPMS Pattern and Typical Heavier Weight:

Aero Precision - Match Upper/lower receiver with handguard sets.

Since you've already totalled up the weight on that lightweight build would you mind totalling up the price as well. That is not going to be a cheap AR10 by the time it's done.

Depending on whether you buy the parts on sale, blemished, used, clearance or you want it right now (full price): Estimated lightweight build cost of 1800.00 -2500.00

Note: This doesn't include any tools needed or if you have a gunsmith assemble.

Last edited:
Instead of spending a lot more money on all Ti parts, carbon fiber stock and carbon fiber handguard; I decided to lighten where I could and bought the following:

Matching Aero Receivers (bought used from someone)
Brownell's Ti BCG (on sale with 10% discount code)
SPR X-caliber 20" barrel (gave a good deal since someone back out) setup for rifle length gas system and JP high pressure bolt
Superlative Arms adjustable gas block .750"
SLR 15" Lightweight aluminum handguard (blem)
Timney skeletonized 3lb drop in trigger (already had)
Carbine buffer (removed weights) , carbine buffer tube (on sale) and Tubbs flat wire spring.
Mission First Tactical Battlelink Minimalist Stock (clearance at LGS)
Note: Used Magpul PRS Gen 3 stock for load development
Magpul 10 round Mag (clearance at LGS) loaded with 10 rounds

Total Weight: 8lbs 2oz (no optic or mount)

Build cost: $1169

Last edited:
It's been awhile since I've shot them but we piled up a lot of coyotes with bca 243 side charger uppers. We shot the Dogtown 70s and some Sierra 60 HP handloads. They shot basically an inch or better at 100. I had right around 650 bucks in my complete rifle with a velocity trigger. I've had the 20" and 24" version. Both shot well.

Back