Anyone use Rainier .308 barrels

Not a 308, but I bought a Ultra Match 6 ARC barrel after suffering through two Aero Precision 6 ARC's.

Quality never goes out of style......

I have had a lot of problems with .308

If i could do it all over again, I would have just stopped diverting money into it.

It is just too heavy, and either too much gun, or too little gun for my applications.

I read through your thread. Im having the same issues with a 20” 1/10 twist. It wont group tight with 168gr Hornady ELDM’s. Tried a few different powders. 1-1/2 to 2 moa at 100yds. Im going to true up the receiver face and locktite the barrel in next.

Years ago I had a heck of a time getting a 308 to shoot also. I can't figure out why, because it seems any other caliber shoots well.

I went through 2 or 3 Rainier barrels, starting with their cheaper line and ended up with an ultramatch I believe. I will say their guarantee is good, they will replace the barrel if you tell them it doesn't shoot.

My 308 suppressor arrived on Tuesday. I attached it to my AR-308 for a mock up.

I immediately waved the white flag. That set up is way too heavy for anything but going from the truck to the rifle bench at the shooting range.

The suppressor is now attached to my 6.5 PRC bolt gun. Which does everything better except for fast follow up shots.

I trued up the receiver face. Loctited the barrel in, still groups the same. 1-1/2” groups at best on a good day. I tried 168gr A-max and 168gr ELDM. I keep talking myself in to the Rainier barrel then out of it.

OMG!

My AR-308 with a Suppressor hanging off the end is like a tank. Costs about as much as one also.

Hiking and hunting with that thing. No way!

I have a 16" Rainier barrel in 223 Wylde that shoots the 62 grain Speer Gold Dots at 2875fps.

Real excellent accuracy for the bullet type. Light weight. I usually carry it in my hand hiking around for a couple hours. No problem.

Suppressor hanging from the end.

Last edited:
Back