Anyone running a brass catcher on their AR rigs?

i run the Picatinny rail mount Caldwell bag on my ar's. you can buy extra rail mounts for about $15. if you're not running your optics super low this bag fits right underneath it on the receiver section of the rail between 2 peice rings, or even behind a 1 peice cantilever style mount. its adjustable for position as well (there are setscrews that hold the bag side of the mount along two rails that allow it to slide side to side)

61roV6hJ2XL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

there used to be a couple aftermarket rail adapters that would fit (i own several) but it appears they've changed their design, so i cant verify if the new ones work anymore
This is what I use as well ☝️ I mostly run a 22 Nosler and a 6 mm Hagar. The Nosler is not too bad, but the Hagar brass is as common as hen's teeth. I won't hunt without one.

I have a Ludex ordered, supposed to arrive tomorrow. Amazon had them for 10.99. I have one of the Caldwell mesh, Velcro wraps the hand guard, works on the bench not so well hunting. I want/need to catch my 20P brass every time. I'll check back here after I test it out.

Just make sure your cap or Caldwell catcher net is far out enough for the brass to clearly eject. I’ve had the Caldwell net and baseball hat too close for brass to clear at the range on my 243’s and the case will stay inside the action get pinched sideways.

The Ludex works well, only issue I have is it will hold 30 cases. That means the length is similar to a 30rd mag. This interferes with the legs on my tripod when in a muzzle up position. Considering modifying it a couple inches shorter, as I run 5-10 rd mags hunting. I did place some foam in the bottom and some stick on pieces where the brass strikes to reduce the rattle sounds.

I got the brass goat in today and unfortunately it does not fit my Larue Stealth 2.0. So gonna look at something else. Fits fine on my Noveske and the boys Aero, so it will go on his.

Reb8600's works great on both 243WSSM & 223. As JTPin said, capacity not intended for high round count on range, but handled all my encounters in the field and lays flat on your rifle so great in the brush.
20240102_180746.jpg

The brass goat will not work with most AR optics mounts, some thermals and night vision. Really any mount with a nut, lever or cross bolt that extends out on the ejection port side from the middle to rear of rail. I know I just received mine, can't use on any of my 4 uppers.

I use Tactical Brass Recovery. It was pricey but well built and worth it. Being able to swing it out of the way and stay there is a nice feature. Also it will hold a full stage worth of brass.

Last edited:
I used a dremel, made a 1/4 inch u shaped notch so the Brass goat would clear the nut on the base of my Burris thermal. It's a Stag lower, I took about 0.030 off the rear "catch" so the Brass goat now snaps flush down the side of the mag well.

I use one of our own Reb600's catchers. In the pic it is askew, it loops around the scope base or rings and the open dust cover holds it in place. It holds about 5 or 6 rounds, is very light weight and doesn't get in the way.

wZlF4l.jpg
these work well,i have a few

Another vote for the Rusty Nuts Design "Brass Wrangler." Kydex clips onto pic rail. Has worked well enough so far. Sleek too.

Another vote for Brass Goat, great American made product! I really like it on the AR15, works very well.

Talked to the owner Rick last week and they will have an AR10 version that's adjustable on the market in April. I'll be glad as I'm tired of the wire framed bag options. I might be able get one early, if so I'll post up the results.

I tried it once several years ago. Rifle jammed. It's never jammed using it on the bench, but that experiment was 1 and done for me while hunting.

Had the old version Caldwell, gave it to the GKs. Baseball hat works fine for scope with tall turrets. Usually just pick it up at range or leave it if in the field. Hard to find in tall weeds & tractor doesn't care. I got lots of brass.

Another vote for Brass Goat, great American made product! I really like it on the AR15, works very well.

Talked to the owner Rick last week and they will have an AR10 version that's adjustable on the market in April. I'll be glad as I'm tired of the wire framed bag options. I might get one early, if so I'll post up the results.
I been using at night for couple years. I really never use the cup-catch on the bottom of BrassGoat . The Brass just gets spit to the ground, bottom of the tripod, and it's less rifle bulk packing around at night not heaving catch-cup attached .
Is great product for guys that do have time invested in brass work Neck-up-down, and need the Brass back to reload.

I like the Cadwell catcher that uses the rail type mount, works great when shooting to sight in & such. Never tried the Velcro styled one.

Back