Anyone running a brass catcher on their AR rigs?

Waiting for my 6mm ARC Proof Research Carbon barrel, I’m wondering who runs a brass catcher on their rig? I’ve had pretty good luck locating brass with my thermal handheld after the shooting stops, but with 6 ARC brass being so hard to get ahold of and it’s ability to hide during the day, I’m wondering if a brass catcher is the way to go.

I just hang a baseball hat over my scope. Put the size adjustment loop over the front of the scope and slide the hat back so the bill hangs down and the hat covers the ejection port. The hat doesn't actually catch and hold the brass but it acts as a baffle so the brass falls at your feet where it is more easily found.

I have used the velcro strap model from Caldwell for years and it works for the range but just seems awkward in the field. Last year I found a unit called the Brass Goat. It's a plastic unit that clips onto your lower receiver and covers the ejection port. The brass falls into a quickly removable "magazine" to be emptied. I haven't had any issues with it yet and have used it on 223,300BO,6.8 SPC and 350 Legend. I have no affiliation with the company, just my personal experience.
Bobby

I have tried several over the years and all of them at some point caused a problem. Whether it was impeding the case from fully ejecting, or sending the case back into the ejection port, or not catching the cases at all. All of them caused a problem somewhere along the line.

Like the suggestion above ........ save your money and just use some sort of simple solution like a baseball cap or something to stop the 15 yard search afterwards.

I use one of our own Reb600's catchers. In the pic it is askew, it loops around the scope base or rings and the open dust cover holds it in place. It holds about 5 or 6 rounds, is very light weight and doesn't get in the way.

wZlF4l.jpg

i run the Picatinny rail mount Caldwell bag on my ar's. you can buy extra rail mounts for about $15. if you're not running your optics super low this bag fits right underneath it on the receiver section of the rail between 2 peice rings, or even behind a 1 peice cantilever style mount. its adjustable for position as well (there are setscrews that hold the bag side of the mount along two rails that allow it to slide side to side)

61roV6hJ2XL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

there used to be a couple aftermarket rail adapters that would fit (i own several) but it appears they've changed their design, so i cant verify if the new ones work anymore

I have the same Caldwell bag as Plant.One.

It works fine

I bought it before even becoming a member of this forum.

Crawling around on the grass looking for spent cases is a monumental waste of time.

Time seems to go by too fast these days.

I've got the brass goat , had it for over2 years before I even used it , finally used it 3 weeks ago to catch some 224 valkyrie brass and it worked perfect , used it again last week and forgot the bottom half so just used the top half and it kept the brass on the shooting table or at least next to it , so still a win , I think it would probably be a no Brainer for a helo hunt to keep brass out of the chopper cab.

Last edited:
Another vote for the Brass GOAT. Works great with any mil spec lower. Only issue is that I can’t use it with side charging uppers. But I don’t think any work with those.

I'm ruuning the same brass catcher as Plant One on both my AR 10 and AR 15's. My Neighbor is running a BA 10 in 308 using the same catcher with a side changer. We just cut the side support bar and nylon bag so the charging handle can reciprocate with no issues at all.

Originally Posted By: fattmallardWaiting for my 6mm ARC Proof Research Carbon barrel, I’m wondering who runs a brass catcher on their rig? I’ve had pretty good luck locating brass with my thermal handheld after the shooting stops, but with 6 ARC brass being so hard to get ahold of and it’s ability to hide during the day, I’m wondering if a brass catcher is the way to go.

I run one every time, all the time, just a velcro model from fleabay, & never have had an issue.

IJLiIyq.jpg

I have used the Reb8600 in the past, it works good for coyote stands where just a few rounds are fired. Nice, simple, compact. But the capacity on it is just not there for hammering sounders of pigs.

There are some really nice ($$$) high capacity catchers out there but I have not sprung the money and spent the cash for them yet. Maybe I will at some point. The more night time pig control work I do the more important it becomes. I have been using the Tac Star up to this point and it has worked fairly well for me. I have heard some say that a high fire rate can melt the Caldwell, but I don't know. I have not had that issue with the Tac Star. Lyman sells (or did sell a couple years ago) extra rail mounts for the Tac Star where you can have the little mounts on multiple rifles and just move the catcher around as needed.

Originally Posted By: highbrowAnother vote for the Brass GOAT. Works great with any mil spec lower. Only issue is that I can’t use it with side charging uppers. But I don’t think any work with those.

the caldwell works just fine with side chargers.

you can adjust the bag so that the charging handle reciprocates inside it.

not sure if theres enough room for ar-10 platform side chargers, my uppers are both top charging.

I used the Caldwell style PD shooting in the west, worked ok, have a small metal defelecter that fits the P rail and drops the empties at the ground next to the rifle!

I run this in a couple AR's

Back