Anyone load the Honady 53gr V-Max?

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: Widow maker 223Shooting a .223 spec loaded round in a .223 chamber is going to have less pressure than shooting a 5.56 from a .223 chamber. The chambers are different sizes the lead in the throat is longer on a 5.56

Well, just what is the spec??? and how many different 223 chambers are there (that's a loaded question, son - and a pun
smile.gif
)

Or did you read this on the internet somewhere? There have been millions and millions of 5.56mm ammo shot from civilian chambers - with no problems, no high pressure, no nothing - tell me, how did that happen??

Back in a former life, I was an Ordnance Officer with a rifle range and a couple of igloos full of 5.56 ammo. I bought a Remington 700V in .223 so I could shoot up some of that ammo. Fired tons of it through that 700 and didn't hurt it a bit.

Currently I use H322 in my .223. I was using BLC(2) because it flows so well through the powder measure. I changed after reading an article in Precision Shooting on the merits of H322. Lower SD and cleaner burning. You'll have to work up your own load and see how it shoots in your rifle.

Originally Posted By: Widow maker 223Whats as civilian chamber. .223 ,Wydle or 5.56

The .223 Remington is a sporting cartridge with almost the same external dimensions as the 5.56×45mm NATO military cartridge. The name is commonly pronounced either two-two-three or two-twenty-three. It is loaded with a 0.224-inch (5.7 mm) diameter, jacketed bullet, with weights ranging from 40 to 90 grains (2.6 to 5.8 g), though the most common loading by far is 55 grains (3.6 g). When loaded with a bullet that expands, tumbles, or fragments in tissue, this cartridge is capable of delivering devastating terminal performance.

While the external case dimensions are very similar, the .223 Remington and 5.56x45mm differ in both maximum pressure and chamber shape. The maximum and mean pressures for some varieties of the 5.56 mm (different cartridge designations have different standards) exceed the SAAMI maximums for the .223 Remington, and the methods for measuring pressures differ between NATO and SAAMI.[2] The 5.56 mm chamber specification has also changed over time since its adoption, as the current military loading (NATO SS-109 or US M855) uses longer, heavier bullets than the original loading did. This has resulted in a lengthening of the throat in the 5.56 mm chamber. Thus, while .223 Remington ammunition can be safely fired in a 5.56 mm chambered gun, firing 5.56 mm ammunition in a .223 Remington chamber may produce pressures in excess of even the 5.56 mm specifications due to the shorter throat.[3]

Contents
[hide] 1 History
2 Cartridge dimensions
3 Uses
4 .223 Remington versus 5.56 mm NATO
5 Related cartridges
6 See also
7 References
8 External links

[edit] History

The .223 Remington (5.56x45mm) is a cartridge that is ballistically in-between its predecessors, the .222 Remington, and the .222 Remington Magnum. The 223/5.56x45 was developed to fit the action length of the new M16 service rifle. The 223/5.56mm quickly became popular as a civilian cartridge because of the availability of brass, and the chambering of commercial varmint rifles in that caliber. Shortly after military acceptance of the M16, the semi-automatic version, the AR-15 became available, making the .223 cartridge even more popular.

[edit] Cartridge dimensions

The .223 Remington has 28.8 grains (1.87 ml H2O) cartridge case capacity.

.223 Remington maximum C.I.P. cartridge dimensions. All sizes in millimeters (mm).[4]

Americans would define the shoulder angle at alpha/2 = 23 degrees. The common rifling twist rate for this cartridge is 305 mm (1 in 12 in), 6 grooves, Ø lands = 5.56 millimetres (0.219 in), Ø grooves = 5.69 millimetres (0.224 in), land width = 1.88 millimetres (0.074 in) and the primer type is small rifle.

According to the official Commission Internationale Permanente pour l'Epreuve des Armes à Feu Portatives (C.I.P.) guidelines the .223 Remington case can handle up to 430 megapascals (62,366 psi) piezo pressure. In C.I.P. regulated countries every rifle cartridge combo has to be proofed at 125% of this maximum C.I.P. pressure to certify for sale to consumers. This is equal to the NATO maximum service pressure guideline for the 5.56x45mm NATO cartridge.

The SAAMI pressure limit for the .223 Remington is set at 379.212 megapascals (55,000 psi), piezo pressure.[5]

[edit] Uses

The .223 Remington is one of the most common rifle cartridges in use in the United States, being widely used in two types of rifles: (1) varmint rifles, most of which are bolt action and commonly have 1-in-12 rifling twist suitable for bullets between 38 to 55 grains (2.5 to 3.6 g), and (2) semi-automatic rifles such as the AR-15 and the Ruger Mini-14, which are commonly found to have twist rates of 1-in-7, 1-in-9, or 1-in-8. (Most modern AR-15s use 1-in-9 which is suitable for bullets up to 69 grains / 4.5 grams or 1-in-7 which is suitable for slightly heavier bullets, but older M16's used 1-in-12 twist rates, making them suitable for use with bullets of 55 grains / 3.6 grams.) The semi-automatic rifle category is often used by law enforcement, for home defense, and for varmint hunting. Among the many popular modern centerfire rifle cartridges, .223 Remington ammunition is among the least expensive and is often used by avid target shooters, particularly in the "service rifle" category or 3 gun matches. The .223 is also used in survival rifles.

[edit] .223 Remington versus 5.56 mm NATO

These 5.56x45mm NATO cartridges are identical in appearance to .223 Remington. They are, however, not completely interchangeable.
While the 5.56mm NATO and .223 Remington cartridges and chamberings are very similar, they are not identical.

While there is a myth that 5.56 NATO cases are thicker and hence have less capacity than commercial .223 cases, this has been shown to be false. Each brand of case and each manufacturing lot has a slightly different case capacity; 5.56 NATO and .223 commercial cases tend to have nearly identical case capacity when measured using the water test.[6] The NATO specification allows a higher chamber pressure. NATO EPVAT test barrels made for 5.56mm NATO measure chamber pressure at the case mouth, as opposed to the location used by the United States civil standards organization SAAMI. The piezoelectric sensors or transducers NATO and SAAMI use to conduct the actual pressure measurements also differ. This difference in measurement method accounts for upwards of 137.9 megapascals (20,000 psi) difference in pressure measurements. This means the NATO EPVAT maximum service pressure of 430 megapascals (62,000 psi) for 5.56mm NATO, is reduced by SAAMI to 379.21 megapascals (55,000 psi) for .223 Remington.[7] In contrast to SAAMI, the other main civil standards organization C.I.P. defines the maximum service and proof test pressures of the .223 Remington cartridge equal to the 5.56mm NATO.

The 5.56mm NATO chambering, known as a NATO or mil-spec chamber, has a longer leade, which is the distance between the mouth of the cartridge and the point at which the rifling engages the bullet. The .223 Remington chambering, known as SAAMI chamber, is allowed to have a shorter leade, and is only required to be proof tested to the lower SAAMI chamber pressure. To address these issues, various proprietary chambers exist, such as the Wylde chamber (Bill Wylde)[8] or the ArmaLite chamber, which are designed to handle both 5.56mm NATO and .223 Remington equally well. The dimensions and leade of the .223 Remington minimum C.I.P. chamber also differ from the 5.56mm NATO chamber specification.

Using commercial .223 Remington cartridges in a 5.56mm NATO chambered rifle should work reliably, but generally will not be as accurate as when fired from a .223 Remington chambered gun due to the longer leade.[9] Using 5.56mm NATO mil-spec cartridges (such as the M855) in a .223 Remington chambered rifle can lead to excessive wear and stress on the rifle and even be unsafe, and the SAAMI recommends against the practice.[10][11] Some commercial rifles marked as ".223 Remington" are in fact suited for 5.56mm NATO, such as many commercial AR-15 variants and the Ruger Mini-14, but the manufacturer should always be consulted to verify that this is acceptable before attempting it, and signs of excessive pressure (such as flattening or gas staining of the primers) should be looked for in the initial testing with 5.56mm NATO ammunition.[12]

Nice copying work, but it does not explain why no one has any problems with pressure when shooting 5.56 in a 223 chamber, as millions of people do every year..

Then big problem with copying and pasting stuff from the internet is that:

1 - it might not be true at all.

2 - it might not be relevant to the discussion at hand.

3 - you might not understand the stuff that you are copying and pasting, so it neither proves or disproves the issues at hand.

4 - you can find anything you want on the internet (It's like Alice's restaurant) - becuase you found it doesn't mean anything, if it does not apply.

You still have not addressed the question - why is it that millions and millions and milions of rounds of military 5.56 are shot in 223 chambers without any problems??

You have no answer to that in your long "copy and paste".

Have a nice day
smile.gif

I have problems shooting 5.56 in my .223 chamber brass bulges due to the extreme pressure curve. Not all reamers are created equal. I will agree that you can shoot 5.56 in a .223 chamber and not have problems if the pressure is not there. Probably wont notice it as much in a rifle length gas system or when using an adjustable gas block. The SAAMI website doesnt reccomend shooting 5.56 in a .223 chamber.

Originally Posted By: Widow maker 223I have problems shooting 5.56 in my .223 chamber brass bulges due to the extreme pressure curve. Not all reamers are created equal. I will agree that you can shoot 5.56 in a .223 chamber and not have problems if the pressure is not there. Probably wont notice it as much in a rifle length gas system or when using an adjustable gas block.

"Extreme pressure curve" cannot cause bulges in cases - you have other problems.

Quote:"The SAAMI website doesnt reccomend shooting 5.56 in a .223 chamber."

And Jeep recommends that you not drive your Jeep off road the way they do in the ads. You still don't get it.

You are trying to argue something that you don't understand, and you are grasping at tidbits on the internet to try to make your case for you - if you knew what you were talking about, you could explain it in two paragraphs - but you can't.

So high pressures in a carbine length gas system causing the bolt to open early wont bulge a case?? Iv seen 30-30 shells shot from A .410 with out problems is that safe too.

Last edited:
Most people don't drive with their seat belts on, and it's definitely not a problem for hundreds of millions of driver miles.....till they hit something.......

Originally Posted By: Widow maker 223So high pressures in a carbine length gas system causing the bolt to open early wont bulge a case?? Iv seen 30-30 shells shot from A .410 with out problems is that safe too.

" Iv seen 30-30 shells shot from A .410 with out problems is that safe too."

What does that have to do with the price of tomatoes in New Jersey?????

I've seen cars driven on flat tyres, and I saw my "ex" try to cook, too!!!

This must be the "Silly season".

(And, YES, it is safe! - I've seen 30 Luger shot from a 9mm Luger too
wink.gif
)

The lead in a .223 chamber is .085" and a 5.56 chamber is .162". Enough to cause some problems is shooting a 5.56 in a tight .223 chamber. The ruger mini 14 target model is chambered for and says .223 only.

Originally Posted By: Widow maker 223The lead in a .223 chamber is .085" and a 5.56 chamber is .162". Enough to cause some problems is shooting a 5.56 in a tight .223 chamber. The ruger mini 14 target model is chambered for and says .223 only.

How does this increase pressure in the gas system?

Hmmm...well this tread took an interesting turn.
Anyway, another follow up question:
I've heard some people recommend BL-C2 and I see in the load table it will shoot faster. So, can someone share the pro's/con's of BL-C2? And how bout BL-C2 vs H335?
Thanks again!

Originally Posted By: Widow maker 223The lead in a .223 chamber is .085" and a 5.56 chamber is .162". Enough to cause some problems is shooting a 5.56 in a tight .223 chamber. The ruger mini 14 target model is chambered for and says .223 only.

Man... you're really getting desperate to save face.

I shoot 5.56, SS109 (62gr steel penetrator) in my mini all the time cuz I get it for free. There is "0", nunja, nada, signs of pressure - and I reload the cases with BK and V-Maxs.

You can't BS your way out of this one - you dug yourself in too deep.

Originally Posted By: Steve M.Hmmm...well this tread took an interesting turn.
Anyway, another follow up question:
I've heard some people recommend BL-C2 and I see in the load table it will shoot faster. So, can someone share the pro's/con's of BL-C2? And how bout BL-C2 vs H335?
Thanks again!

BL-c[2] has been around along time, as has H-335. Lot's of folks still use them, and they are good powders. They are a bit on the temperature sensitive side though. So what is worked up load wise in the winter, may not be so good in July, pressure wise.

IMO there are better choices out there. You have Varget, and alot of people like it in the .223. Varget is temp stable too. [a little slow burning for lighter bullets]

IMR-4895, is my all time favorite powder in the .222 case series. IMR-8208xbr is showing great promise, and is temp. stable as well.

What is your barrel length? This will make a big difference in how easy 3250fps will be achieved.

[6] The NATO specification allows a higher chamber pressure. NATO EPVAT test barrels made for 5.56mm NATO measure chamber pressure at the case mouth, as opposed to the location used by the United States civil standards organization SAAMI. The piezoelectric sensors or transducers NATO and SAAMI use to conduct the actual pressure measurements also differ. This difference in measurement method accounts for upwards of 137.9 megapascals (20,000 psi) difference in pressure measurements. This means the NATO EPVAT maximum service pressure of 430 megapascals (62,000 psi) for 5.56mm NATO, is reduced by SAAMI to 379.21 megapascals (55,000 psi) for .223 Remington.[7] In contrast to SAAMI, the other main civil standards organization C.I.P. defines the maximum service and proof test pressures of the .223 Remington cartridge equal to the 5.56mm NATO.

You posted this.... If you carefully read this you will see that they are loaded to the same pressure.

Doesnt increased chamber pressure equal increased gas system pressure?? Is your mini chambered in 5.56. The targer version is chambered in the tighter .223. I know i have a tighter chamber and have problems shooting certain 5.56 in it. American eagle tracers shoot fine from it others do not. The bigger lead of the 5.55 chamber will cause pressure to subside faster shooting 5.56 in it than shooting 5.56 in a tighter .223 chamber. Again it might not be a problem for all but some.

Originally Posted By: Widow maker 223Doesnt increased chamber pressure equal increased gas system pressure?? Is your mini chambered in 5.56. The targer version is chambered in the tighter .223. I know i have a tighter chamber and have problems shooting certain 5.56 in it. American eagle tracers shoot fine from it others do not. The bigger lead of the 5.55 chamber will cause pressure to subside faster shooting 5.56 in it than shooting 5.56 in a tighter .223 chamber. Again it might not be a problem for all but some.

Let it go, Kid... you are arguing about something you have no understanding of.

NOBODY is have them "problems" you are talking about.

Back