Alberta Canada dangerous game

Yotarunner

Custom Call Maker
Made this post for a Canadian forum a while ago but it just dawned on me that you guys would probably enjoy it.

Not many people are aware of the dangerous game here on our own continent! The Richardson's ground squirrel or (gopher) is not to be taken lightly!
These dangerous and underestimated critters have very little fear of humans and demand the use of proper firepower to dispatch them.
Our prefered caliber of choice is the 500/416 nitro express loaded with hard cast bullets. The flat meplat on the cast bullet ensures proper expansion on these hard to kill rodents. Seen here next to a gopher skull. Note the sharp pointed teeth.
image000004 by brad harder, on Flickr
In small areas of Alberta these creatures can be hunted and if caution is observed can be quite sporting. Preserving meat is not advised as recovery and meat preservation is tricky.
image000004 by brad harder, on Flickr
image000001_01 by brad harder, on Flickr
Stay on your toes as hard chargers are the norm. Here you can see a large male being launched back over the fence from whence he came.
image000000 by brad harder, on Flickr
A partner is advised as some pastures can be plentiful and the chance to shoot 2 at once can be quite the experience.
image000006 by brad harder, on Flickr
For those of you that are trophy hunters do not fret. After long hard hunting some impressive tuskers can be found. This trophy male was taken a few years back. To preserve the hide for taxidermy it is advised to shoot under the animal killing him with shock rather than the bullet itself.
image000003 by brad harder, on Flickr

thumbup.gif
thumbup1.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: 22magnum22Love it! What is the temperament of the coyotes in your area? Should I bring a 375 H&H?

Ironically the shooter launching the gopher in the picture shoots a #1 in 375 for everything from coyotes to elk. Personally I prefer something slightly more fur frorndly

Yikes! I bet the ones that make it to gopher coffee the next day after being missed have a story or two to tell....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: redhazeYikes! I bet the ones that make it to gopher coffee the next day after being missed have a story or two to tell....

We once launched one over 6 feet up and he landed on all fours and scurried away without a scratch! We often wonder what stories he tells haha

Back