About time!

Spurchaser

Well it’s about time! Went through a long dry spell and a while of not even going out.

Went out last night after finding some tracks along a drain while turkey hunting this weekend and set up for that drain. Unfortunately the coyotes were already out hunting and answered behind me. One came in but offered no shot. To be honest, had he not barked at me looking for his mate I’d probably never have turned around.

Went this evening and set up about 700yds East on a hill overlooking a burn and gave it a go. Started with a pair howl, then a lone howl, then went to a couple coyote fights. I paused anywhere from 30secs to a couple minutes between calls and then went silent for about 5 minutes.

When that didn’t produce I went to a lonely female howl, then an invite howl, then a Hot to Trot howl. I was scanning and could partially see a field to my left and noticed deer scattering. About that time I saw the coyote and hit the record button.

Yeah, my shooting sucks and I missed the first shot, lol. Luckily suppressors are made for people that can’t shoot and gives them a second chance. Second shot wasn’t pretty either but that’s why I shoot 165gr bullets out of a .308…they are very forgiving.

I’m guessing it was confused about the sound of the shot and the fact my caller was still howling away at max volume. He died all of 20yds dead in front of the ICOtec.

IMG_8397.jpeg

Part of the issue is getting them to stop! I’m pretty confident I read to leave the volume alone so I did. I was gave a couple loud “whoops” and it never heard it. I yelled “hey” and it appeared to not hear that either. The caller was about 60-70 yards out and most come in and pause. This one decided to just keep charging in.

Part of the issue is getting them to stop! I’m pretty confident I read to leave the volume alone so I did.
For the exact reason you mentioned… I try to always pause the caller once they’re within shooting range. Make them stop to try and find what they’ve heard. Too many times they have kept coming no matter what when the caller is running. I’ve missed more opportunities by leaving it playing than pausing. Just my experiences.

Long dry spells can give your trigger finger a bit of anxiety. Happens to the best of us. Nice job on the follow up! Congrats.
Ain't it the truth!? Been so long since I've been out, if I ever do get out again my money is on the coyotes, cause doubt if I can hit a barn from the inside.:(

Spurchaser, Well done, have you ever tried 155 gr. Scenars in your .308 ? they have worked very well for me. Murl B.
I haven’t and for a stupid reason…thought the higher grain bullet would be a little slower (less powder) and maybe a little quieter shooting suppressed.

Hunt0168, man I get so excited and the remote isn’t on a lanyard so it got shoved in the pocket it really wouldn’t have mattered if I wanted to pause it, lol.
It’s just crazy that max volume and that close yet they still come in. This is a burn, as in it could see nothing was actually there.

Hunt0168, man I get so excited and the remote isn’t on a lanyard so it got shoved in the pocket it really wouldn’t have mattered if I wanted to pause it, lol.
It’s just crazy that max volume and that close yet they still come in. This is a burn, as in it could see nothing was actually there.
Every situation is different. Up here in the northeast it gets cold on occasion. Real cold in fact, so I too have suffered from the old remote in a pocket thing! Since running lithium batteries in my remote became my standard it’s a rarity that my remote gets tucked somewhere warm. But as a rule, I hit pause when I can.

As for the volume thing… I try to play sounds with some reasonable thought put into the setup. But reasonings aside, so many times they rush the call when it seems like it would be way too loud. I don’t know that I’ve ever had one put its paws over its ears and run off?

Want to take a moment and thank you guys that take the time to post your videos.

Been a year since I've been able to get out after them myself, and I learned a long time ago, while shooting competition, the value of "visualization" since accurate shooting is largely a mental function; probably 90% mental/10% physical, IMO. Dry firing was very helpful in target shooting, but "visualization" of what it takes to make a perfect shot was every bit as important when you could not dry fire.

I watch all these videos, and am hoping that visualizing exactly when I would break the shot will knock a bit of the rust off if and when I am able to get back out. Visualization of breaking a shot on a stationary target is easy, but it is harder to visualize without all the different possibilities presented by the coyotes in you guy's videos. Keep 'em coming, guys!

I believe (from ancient memory), that is the biggest problem I have; probably the problem most have. Watching yours, and others videos helps (me) to visualize when I should break the shot (I hope). 🤣

Back