A Mousing Mistake

DoubleUp

I started the stand and had a pair coming in at 2-minute mark. Thinking this is going to be pretty. Wind is breezy from WSW. The way I set up the stand, I thought that in order to get downwind of us they would have to cross a big canal and then a paved highway, and that surely, they wouldn't do that at 300 yds. out, but these hombres were smart. Crossed the canal, crossed the highway and busted us on the downwind too far to shoot, especially with it so windy. My partner who is still not completely well drove a different vehicle, and left before I did.

So I drove back through the field we had just called and on the other end a mile farther, there was a coyote mousing. I couldn't completely break her loose from the mice with lip squeaks, so I shot her where she was at 221 yds. I was also fighting the moon which was above the horizon and lighting me more every minute. She had not seen me but I knew with me standing and shooting off my tripod that it was only a matter of another minute or so before she did. The wind was shaking my tripod as well, but the bullet went where it was supposed to end up. Here is the video:

Thanks Week. I'm going to try to remember to post all future night hunting videos in this subforum. That way issues and questions can be the main topics discussed in the Night Calling forum.

Back