A couple of boars

guess

Michelle and I hog hunted this evening. We hadn’t been hunting long when Michelle pushed a big boar out of his bed. He made the fatal mistake of running in my direction. I saw him pause and look back towards Michelle before moving on in my direction. He spotted me standing in his path and stopped. I took aim with the Icon in .243 and placed a 100 gr. Winchester power-point just above his right eye dropping him right there. Michelle moved on and set up near where we had placed some bait a few weeks back. Unknown to Michelle there was a big boar bedded less than 20 yards from the bait. Just before dark he got up and started moving. Michelle steadied her 7mm mag and dropped him in his tracks. Both of these old boars were tough. My hog had both tusks broken off at the gum line and was missing an ear completely. Michelle’s boar had broken his right front leg recently. It was healing nicely. He had one ear badly torn and had a scar the size of your hand on his right side.
normal_me_boar_3-13-08.jpg

normal_broken_cutters.jpg

normal_boar_missing_ear.jpg

normal_michelle_spotted_boar_3-13-08.jpg

normal_michelle_hogs_head_3-13-08.jpg

a couple of pics of our hunting spot.
normal_hog_hunting_area.jpg

normal_the_swamp.jpg

those are some nice sized hogs there.. Congrats

is the caliber of rifle you and Michelle chose a preference for each other?
Im use to seeing the woman using the lighter caliber because of recoil...

Michelle has always had the opinion that bigger is better. She loves the 7 mag.
Myself,I feel that the .243 is the most versatile caliber for what we do.

Quote:
Michelle has always had the opinion that bigger is better. She loves the 7 mag.
Myself,I feel that the .243 is the most versatile caliber for what we do.

thats awesome...

I feel the exact same about the 243 and that is what I prefer to shoot..

There's a nice load for the freezer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
Are they good eating? To dang cold here in Montana to have them around.

the sows are great eating and the boars aren't too bad either, but they stink up the house when you cook them. Make it hard to eat them after smelling them!

Quote:
There's a nice load for the freezer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
Are they good eating? To dang cold here in Montana to have them around.

from what I am told.. Boar hogs are not good to eat unless they were castrated at a young age. Something about the testosterone running through them when hunted that spoils the meat so to speak...

it all depends on the hog. I've eaten boars up to 300 that were fine and I've eaten some at 90 you couldn't stand. The bets rule of thumb I've found to follow is that if they smell like a hog they are fine. If they smell someone just peed on the campfire forget it!

Guess, that's my experience too, though I'm sure it's more limited than yours. If a pig smells like mud and pig poop, it's golden. If you can smell that nasty, musky urine scent, you probably don't want to cook him, because that's how it'll smell.

I've wondered it if has to do with them "rutting"? I suspect that when a boar is around a sow in heat, he gets pumped up on hormones and "ruts" like a buck deer, making him secrete whatever it is that makes him stink. Take him away from a hot sow for a few days, and he's just a regular old pig. Any comments on that theory Glenn?

Quote:
If they smell someone just peed on the campfire forget it!

That sounds like some good advice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Nice boars, been missing your hog posts, I'm sure you have still been killing a lot of them. I have been struggling to find hogs on the ranch I hunt recently. I think the neighbors have been taking care of them. As dry as it is I would have thought they would be hitting the marshes, but they must have found some other hog heaven.

Quote:
Makes me wish we had them so I had something to hunt between BG and spring bear!

That would be a good time for coyotes. I do most of my predtator hunting between January and April.

Just curious how you process your pigs Glenn.
The limited experience I've had, been down to Texas 3 times,
a couple different places. The one place we went to, we quartered them up and put them in coolers with ice and as the ice would melt we'd drain the bloody water out, add new ice, and after a couple days of doin that the water would be less bloody each time. Basically getting the blood and "gaminess" out of the meat. The other place we went to they cut them up but put them directly in the walk in cooler. Don't know if it was coinsidence or not but the hogs we iced down were much better.

hogs hung in a cooler always took on a nasty taste to me! I use the Ice chest method, I leave them in there about a week before I freeze them.

I will make a post about hog cleaning in the big game forum.

Back